Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Jul 18, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #3,046 of 6,262
I think in this scenario you are still using the aux connection (ie amp only in XD-05), as the 3.5mm does not carry a digital signal!
i had a doubt (the reason why i didn't tell the difference between the N3 and the Xduoo...), but since i had a very different sound between selecting USB vs Aux on the xduoo (and while set on USB the different DAC filters appearing on the screen, i thought it was DAC+AMP when selecting USB.) I should have asked you since i saw you already had the same combo.
So i'd need a connection to the digital signal i.e. a 3.5mm to type-C USB cable to use the DAC, right?
And more precisely: if i want to use the DAC with the Cirrus Logic and not the XMOS, i can only do it with the optical in.
2v1wwhj.jpg

If only Cayin didn't charge 50$ for shipping a cable... i can't resign myself to buying a cable worth 20$ and spend x2.5 for the shipping, i paid half less for a treadmill that weighed more than me a few years ago, so 50$ for a cable that weighs nothing, i simply can't.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #3,047 of 6,262
1- N3 usb-C out -> cable usb-C to 3.5mm (like the cayin one) -> 3.5mm in of external dac
2- N3 usb-C out -> cable usb-C to USB female -> USB male from external dac
3- N3 usb-C out -> cable usb-C to digital coaxial (exists?) -> digital coaxial in from external dac
I was under the impression only the first option would work..?

Jul 18, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #3,049 of 6,262
in the second case wouldn't it use the XMOS via usb?

and, by the way, in the case of the Xduoo xd-05, I would say there is no sense to use it as a dac/amp for the N3, as it is the same dac. I would use it just as an amp. But there are other cases I would be interested in the dac part, for example with the mojo.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #3,050 of 6,262
Some fun news, I got the blue Tooth output hooked up, honestly the feature is AMAZING! I max out the Volume on the N3 and just use my phone to adjust the volume from there
To my understanding when you push it to 100, there's a seperate opAmp that amps at that point correct? One with just fixed gain,

Either way, I'll be doing some comparative notes on how the N3 compares with my V20 stand alone and how it compares with the Geek Out v2+ SE today. In terms of function though, I'm really loving the blueTooth connectivity! I can keep the N3 in my pocket with a cable attached, and operate my phone without any cables. Super handy

Jul 18, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #3,053 of 6,262
Announcement of Cayin N3 firmware v2.1

http://en.cayin.cn/download/show?id=13516
https://www.facebook.com/CayinAudio/posts/306479566429943

We tried our best to rectify the slow charging problem of N3 after the v2.0 firmware, sorry for all the inconvenient caused.

New Functions and System Optimization
  1. Calibrate Power management setting to rectify low charging current
  2. Rectify My favorite document cannot be removed through Quick Menu at specific operation sequence
  3. Remove the incorrect status display when playback multi-channel WAV document
Cayin N3 Firmware Upgrade
  • Each version of firmware might contain minor different, consumer please decide on your own accord whether you need to update the firmware of your N3 DAP.
  • Under normal circumstances, firmware upgrade will not cause any damage to user information, but Cayin cannot exclude the possibility of upgrade failure due to mal-operation or any other reason. For these reasons, you might be required to format your N3 DAP and result in losing person data stored on the player. We strongly suggest you backup all your personal data stored on the player before you perform firmware upgrade.
  • The N3 firmware cannot be used in other product, and the firmware from other product cannot be used in N3
Firmware upgrades procedure

1. For safety reason, please make sure the N3 DAP has not less than 50% battery power before you proceed, otherwise please charge up the player before you upgrade the firmware
  2. Download the latest firmware from Cayin website (www.cayin.cn). Decompress and copy the N3 firmware file (update.upt) into the root directory of a TF card.
  3. Insert the TF card into the N3 DAP and complete your firmware upgrade with either one of the following steps:
    • While N3 has been turned on, select “System Setup” and scroll all the way to the bottom of the list, select “System Update”, the system will complete the upgrade process automatically, and reboot the player after update is completed.
    • While N3 has been turned off, hold the round physical “Enter” button, and then hold the “Power on/off” button, the system start the firmware upgrade process and will complete the process automatically. It will reboot the player after update is completed.
Note: N3 can support FAT/FAT32/exFAT/NTFS formatted TF card during the firmware upgrade process.

When the upgrade is completed, you can verify the current firmware version number by selecting “System Setting” menu, under “About the Player and storage information” option, check out the “Firmware Version” detail.

Attention
  • Do not operate the machine during firmware upgrade
  • Please delete/remove the firmware file from the TF card after firmware upgrade
  • Please update your Music Library after firmware upgrade

Even after upgrading N3 with V2.1, there is a problem that has stayed. With {Folder operation} turned on, trying to delete songs fails and leads to a message 'deletion failed'. Is there a solution for this?

Jul 18, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #3,054 of 6,262
and, by the way, in the case of the Xduoo xd-05, I would say there is no sense to use it as a dac/amp for the N3, as it is the same dac. I would use it just as an amp. But there are other cases I would be interested in the dac part, for example with the mojo.
The different audio processor Cirrus Logic CS8422 vs. XMOS XS1-U8A-64 should make a noticeable difference even with the same DAC or am i totally wrong?

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #3,056 of 6,262
The different audio processor Cirrus Logic CS8422 vs. XMOS XS1-U8A-64 should make a noticeable difference even with the same DAC or am i totally wrong?

I wouldn't say so. If that would be the case it would be impossible to put bit perfect audio info to the xd-05, as the processor would change that info prior to enter to the dac. The audio info in bits than enters to the dac should be the same of what is currently being output from the other device.

Anyway, im not an expert please someone can help us with this?

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #3,057 of 6,262
Volume Matched at 89 dBs I can say that Bluetooth Streaming from the V20 to the N3 is... nosier than the V20 stand alone, but the sound is better even with the noise than the v20 standalone

That and the v20 doesn't have the over head that the N3 has either... While I LOVE using Neutron as my playback suite, I'm REALLY not a fan of the V20s hardware... it's noticeable thinner. It's "technically" faster than the N3 [on Sharp] but the timbre's even thinner on the V20 than the N3. Both image worse than the HM 601 though...

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #3,058 of 6,262
I wouldn't say so. If that would be the case it would be impossible to put bit perfect audio info to the xd-05, as the processor would change that info prior to enter to the dac. The audio info in bits than enters to the dac should be the same of what is currently being output from the other device.

Anyway, im not an expert please someone can help us with this?
I thought the digital output (using the Cirrus audio processor) should be better... but i am quite new to these things so i may have read something and didn't understand it 100% :yum:

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #3,059 of 6,262
I wouldn't think so. Their job is to get the digital signal (of different origin, hence the different chips) to the dac. I can't imagine this could make a noticable difference?
my bad!
i thought the reason there was 2 different audio processors was to differentiate the Aux/digital, the latter i supposed more refined (but as i said i'm quite new to these things...)
If you could try to set your xduoo on aux and then on usb just to corroborate what i experience (aux= a lot louder, less refined, more high-pitched; usb=more veiled, more reposing and middle-register centered)
It's very noticeable when i switch from one to another.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #3,060 of 6,262
Even after upgrading N3 with V2.1, there is a problem that has stayed. With {Folder operation} turned on, trying to delete songs fails and leads to a message 'deletion failed'. Is there a solution for this?

The update states:

New Functions and System Optimization

1. Calibrate Power management setting to rectify low charging current

2. Rectify My favorite document cannot be removed through Quick Menu at specific operation sequence

3. Remove the incorrect status display when playback multi-channel WAV document

Users who are viewing this thread

Back