Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Jul 18, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #3,031 of 6,262
@Andykong thank you for your response. what i wish to be able to do this (toggling between headphone out and line out) on this screen:

the scenario is listening to spotify from my phone (via Bluetooth) to my N3+fiio e18 amp (stacked, analog signal) to earphones. because my N3 always automatically connects when turned on, i always have to go back to main menu to toggle the output type.

it might also help to be able to toggle output gain in other similar scenario like mine, but without external amp

We have evaluated the situation and confirmed that this can't be done.

The transmit and receiving function of Bluetooth required the device to operate in different mode, and the paired devices will established a boss-subordinate relationship (Host device and Client device). When N3 receive a file from your mobile via BT, the mobile is the host device and N3 is a client only. Once the N3 entered a client mode, all communication and operation will be directed by the hosted device, the client will be forced to receive file and play along as the host device take charge. On the other hand, you can only change the output setting of N3 when the DAP is operated as host, since you are not allowed to change the host/client relationship in the middle of a connection, so we have no choice but to disconnect BT connection before we change the output option.

Sorry for the delay in coming back to you, I was told we can't do this immediately but I didn't find out the technical reason until recently.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 18, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #3,033 of 6,262
Hello i wanted to know from anyone if the memory card makes any difference is sound quality. I have a samsung evo plus 64gb card that i bought against sandisk ultra for N3. Does anyone know which of the two memory cards is better ?

Jul 18, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #3,034 of 6,262
Hello i wanted to know from anyone if the memory card makes any difference is sound quality. I have a samsung evo plus 64gb card that i bought against sandisk ultra for N3. Does anyone know which of the two memory cards is better ?
Memory card type has zero impact on sound quality.

Jul 18, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #3,035 of 6,262
Announcement of Cayin N3 firmware v2.1

http://en.cayin.cn/download/show?id=13516
https://www.facebook.com/CayinAudio/posts/306479566429943

We tried our best to rectify the slow charging problem of N3 after the v2.0 firmware, sorry for all the inconvenient caused.

New Functions and System Optimization
  1. Calibrate Power management setting to rectify low charging current
  2. Rectify My favorite document cannot be removed through Quick Menu at specific operation sequence
  3. Remove the incorrect status display when playback multi-channel WAV document
Cayin N3 Firmware Upgrade
  • Each version of firmware might contain minor different, consumer please decide on your own accord whether you need to update the firmware of your N3 DAP.
  • Under normal circumstances, firmware upgrade will not cause any damage to user information, but Cayin cannot exclude the possibility of upgrade failure due to mal-operation or any other reason. For these reasons, you might be required to format your N3 DAP and result in losing person data stored on the player. We strongly suggest you backup all your personal data stored on the player before you perform firmware upgrade.
  • The N3 firmware cannot be used in other product, and the firmware from other product cannot be used in N3
Firmware upgrades procedure

1. For safety reason, please make sure the N3 DAP has not less than 50% battery power before you proceed, otherwise please charge up the player before you upgrade the firmware
  2. Download the latest firmware from Cayin website (www.cayin.cn). Decompress and copy the N3 firmware file (update.upt) into the root directory of a TF card.
  3. Insert the TF card into the N3 DAP and complete your firmware upgrade with either one of the following steps:
    • While N3 has been turned on, select “System Setup” and scroll all the way to the bottom of the list, select “System Update”, the system will complete the upgrade process automatically, and reboot the player after update is completed.
    • While N3 has been turned off, hold the round physical “Enter” button, and then hold the “Power on/off” button, the system start the firmware upgrade process and will complete the process automatically. It will reboot the player after update is completed.
Note: N3 can support FAT/FAT32/exFAT/NTFS formatted TF card during the firmware upgrade process.

When the upgrade is completed, you can verify the current firmware version number by selecting “System Setting” menu, under “About the Player and storage information” option, check out the “Firmware Version” detail.

Attention
  • Do not operate the machine during firmware upgrade
  • Please delete/remove the firmware file from the TF card after firmware upgrade
  • Please update your Music Library after firmware upgrade
i think i've never seen a company with such reactivity when it comes to updating a firmware because of a bug or a problem (and AndyKong is so precise and diligent, Cayin and us customers are very lucky to have such a precious guide.)
Update went like a breeze, as always.

Jul 18, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #3,036 of 6,262
Pulled the trigger on the xduoo xd-5 and it really is a great Amp/Dac, the Sennheiser hd600 really sing with it ( and a lot of improvements possible: buy a coax cable to usb type C -at a decent price...shipping included...- buy a Burson opamp to amplify soundstage and definition.)
(sorry for the pic on the go but done in a hurry)
1qo0ub.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #3,038 of 6,262
Pulled the trigger on the xduoo xd-5 and it really is a great Amp/Dac, the Sennheiser hd600 really sing with it ( and a lot of improvements possible: buy a coax cable to usb type C -at a decent price...shipping included...- buy a Burson opamp to amplify soundstage and definition.)
(sorry for the pic on the go but done in a hurry)
1qo0ub.jpg

Hello! have you test the sound of the N3 alone vs N3 + XD-05 (both just amp and dac/amp) in a headphone who do not requires amplification? HD600 is not a good example as they do require more power. But I would like to know if the dac/amp part of the xd-05 gives a better sound compared to the N3 alone :)

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #3,039 of 6,262
hummm. that one is difficult for me as i only have a Koss Porta pro as secondary headphone.
What i tested (but in a hurry and will do further testing once i have more time) is:
N3>3.5mm jack in aux-Xduoo (on aux setting)>HD600 only amp of the Xduoo (i don't like it, sounds to loud not very clean/precise)
The best use of this combo (for the moment, as i have to find a coax-usb-C cable for the optical connection) =
N3>3.5mm jack in aux-Xduoo (on USB setting: same as above but you select the medium setting in input- i thought i would need a usb connection but it works via the 3.5mm jack)>HD600
I think that uses the DAC+AMP of the Xduoo and i love its sound (but can't say if i prefer it vs the N3 alone as it's already very good alone when i test it with my HD600 without amp: great clarity and precision)
And there's a great deal of settings i have to explore (DAC filters: sharp/slow roll-off, Short delay sharp/slow)
The N3 can drive headphones until 200ohms (and my hd600 doesn't sound ridiculous at 90% only with the N3) so if you have a pair of headphone that are under 200ohms impedance, the N3 is a really great solution (I love it with my Porta pro too, less details and clarity, great dynamic and fun V-shaped sound...just didn't test it with the Xduoo)

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #3,040 of 6,262
The best use of this combo (for the moment, as i have to find a coax-usb-C cable for the optical connection) =
N3>3.5mm jack in aux-Xduoo (on USB setting: same as above but you select the medium setting in input- i thought i would need a usb connection but it works via the 3.5mm jack)>HD600
I think that uses the DAC+AMP of the Xduoo and i love its sound (but can't say if i prefer it vs the N3 alone as it's already very good alone when i test it with my HD600 without amp: great clarity and precision)
I think in this scenario you are still using the aux connection (ie amp only in XD-05), as the 3.5mm does not carry a digital signal!

Jul 18, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #3,041 of 6,262
I've recently been seeing folks referring to an optical connection, but while the N3 supports SPDIF output on a couple of non-USB pins on the USB-C connector - there is no optical SPDIF port (in the 3.5mm jack, or in the USB-C jack) on the N3.

Jul 18, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #3,044 of 6,262
I've recently been seeing folks referring to an optical connection, but while the N3 supports SPDIF output on a couple of non-USB pins on the USB-C connector - there is no optical SPDIF port (in the 3.5mm jack, or in the USB-C jack) on the N3.

What are then the options to get a digital out from N3? If I want to use the N3 just as source an use an external dac?

as far as I can see:

1- N3 usb-C out -> cable usb-C to 3.5mm (like the cayin one) -> 3.5mm in of external dac
2- N3 usb-C out -> cable usb-C to USB female -> USB male from external dac
3- N3 usb-C out -> cable usb-C to digital coaxial (exists?) -> digital coaxial in from external dac

Am i Right? there are another options?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back