Cayin iDAP-6 - versatile new desktop transport
Feb 28, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #226 of 424
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 28, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #227 of 424
This looks like a winner:
- LPS with toroid, Femto clocks, clean HW design, well screened
- all digital outputs one might need: USB, I2S (!), AES, coax, optical
- nice inputs as well, including SD-card (!), external HDD, Ethernet/ DLNA, aptX, streaming services
- control app via Bluetooth
- big display (I hope the selector works fine, a touch display would have been nicer)
- fair price (the nearest competitor is the Aries at double the price, and it still profits from better PSU).

Questions:
- I assume it uses linear regulators as well?
- is there a list about which DLNA servers and control points are supported (e.g. phone apps like Lumin, Kazoo, BubbleUpnp etc)?
- what is the best sounding way to feed wav files? SD card? HDD? Ethernet/DLNA/NAS?
- when switching SD cards (e.g. 200-256 GB ones), how fast the index is built? Are the databases created in the iDAP (since there is screen/selector) and also in the device running the control app? Are the databases persistent even if the medium is switched (like SD cards or HDDs)?
- is Spotify supported via Spotify Connect?
- is Roon-support possible/planned via FW updates?
- any upcoming magazine reviews in Europe?

Since the Aries I've been looking for something similar but also with I2S output and possibly with screen like the Cambridge 851N or the Naim Unity Atom. Voila! Cayin has done it, again.
Not to speak about the industry-leading presence and connection level with customers via these forums. Congratulations!

I need to refer some questions to our Engineers so I'll skip them and come back to you later, I'll handle the "easy" questions first:

I think the best option is to use SSD or HDD with external power supply. Setup the SSD or HDD away from the iDAP-6 (i.e., don't stack them on top of the player), and if you have the resource to go for the extreme, setup a LPS for the HDD please, I personally prefer getting rid of switching power device in my sound system.

The index building is fairly fast for SD card, I don't recall any compliant on the SD card index speed so far. I don't have 256GB SD card to test with, but with fully loaded 128G SD card, the iDAP-6 completed the indexing in around 2 minutes only. However when I index a fully load 2T 2.5" HDD (5400rpm), the iDAP-6 takes 25 minutes to complete the indexing, I believe this is the extreme condition because the 2.5" HDD draw its power from the iDAP-6.

The index created (or database in your term) is located inside the iDAP-6 and the HiByLink read the index directly.

If you switch your medium, you can continue in Folder view without reindex, but you definitely need to index again if you want to use the Album or Artist view.

The iDAP-6 is a SoC device based on the Ingenic X1000 MCU, there is no Spotify client available in the X1000 platform, so I don't think iDAP-6 is Spotify Connect ready.

iDAP-6 is not Roon Ready, and we don't have any plan to implement Roon compactibility at this moment.

We have an on-going discussion with a UK based magazine but I can't disclose any detail until we have finalized the arrangement, and we probably won't announced anything until late April when we get to meet with the magazine editor again at AXPONA (Chicago).

Mar 2, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #228 of 424
Regarding the 2nd unit Idap-6 that I help friend to buy, and which it cannot see/search NAS drive, i advised him to try another wireless network. Recently he came back to me that his Cayin has no such problem in other netwrok/router.
@Andykong Please get your team to resolve router compatible issue with Huawei HG659b. thanks

Mar 3, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #229 of 424
Regarding the 2nd unit Idap-6 that I help friend to buy, and which it cannot see/search NAS drive, i advised him to try another wireless network. Recently he came back to me that his Cayin has no such problem in other netwrok/router.
@Andykong Please get your team to resolve router compatible issue with Huawei HG659b. thanks

Thank you very much for your clarification.

The Huawei HG659b or HG659 is not available in China market, I have googled this model number, apparently this is an Australia/NZ based model as I can't find any information about HG659 or HD569b from other region. This is going to make the debugging impossible, without an actual sample to test and debug, we simply can't do anything about it. We have included Huawei routers in our original compatibility test, Huawei is a major player in China and Asian market, we definitely won't leave it out.

The game is getting more difficult. For discussion sake, should we go all the way to buy a Huawei HG659b from eBay and send it to china to debug the compatibility issue? Should we do this whenever someone reported an incompatible problem? If we are compatible with 9 models of Huawei routers but not this model, is it really our fault and our responsibility to create a new firmware to "resolve router compatible issue"?

Last edited:

Mar 3, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #231 of 424
Thank you very much for your clarification.

The Huawei HG659b or HG659 is not available in China market, I have googled this model number, apparently this is an Australia/NZ based model as I can't find any information about HG659 or HD569b from other region. This is going to make the debugging impossible, without an actual sample to test and debug, we simply can't do anything about it. We have included Huawei routers in our original compatibility test, Huawei is a major player in China and Asian market, we definitely won't leave it out.

The game is getting more difficult. For discussion sake, should we go all the way to buy a Huawei HG659b from eBay and send it to china to debug the compatibility issue? Should we do this whenever someone reported an incompatible problem? If we are compatible with 9 models of Huawei routers but not this model, is it really our fault and our responsibility to create a new firmware to "resolve router compatible issue"?

not entirely your responsibility, sometimes a new firmware upgrade for the router is required as well. Not Huawei either, as Huawei may bring out numerous firmware but the Telco/ISP may not followed the frequent firmware revision.
I was hoping that Huawei have similar products in China so that compatibility issue can be resolved. Right now I am thinking to ask him to add an Access Point in his network, so that same IP range can be grabbed but the network protocol is going through new AP

Mar 3, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #232 of 424
not entirely your responsibility, sometimes a new firmware upgrade for the router is required as well. Not Huawei either, as Huawei may bring out numerous firmware but the Telco/ISP may not followed the frequent firmware revision.
I was hoping that Huawei have similar products in China so that compatibility issue can be resolved. Right now I am thinking to ask him to add an Access Point in his network, so that same IP range can be grabbed but the network protocol is going through new AP

The problem is we have included Huawei routers in our compatibility test and we can't be sure which model is “equivalent” to HG659b in the local lineup. Worse still, even when we identified the correct model, it can be the firmware in Australia/New Zealand that cause the problem, I.e., firmware level incompatible. We actually had gone through similar experience previously on WiFi compatibility, when some regions are still using Channel 14 but not in China, cause us quite a lot of time until we confirmed the problem and declared that all Cayin products will Not support Channel 14 in WiFi connection.

That‘s why l didn't say anything is right or wrong, but the game is indeed getting more difficult.

Mar 9, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #234 of 424
If I am only gonna be using the USB output, does the IDAP offer better sonic performance than say PC + iusb3.0? Thanks

Mar 14, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #236 of 424
Good result with Denafrips Terminator.:grinning:
IMG_2048.JPG

Mar 15, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #237 of 424
[QUOTE = "huangkang, poste: 14104671, membre: 489324"] Est-ce que quelqu'un sait que le joueur supporte la carte SD SDXC? Je veux acheter une carte SD de plus grande taille, merci! [/ QUOTE]

Bonjour, j'utilise une carte sdxc de 400g, ça marche très bien sans aucun bug

Mar 15, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #240 of 424
[QUOTE = "huangkang, poste: 14104671, membre: 489324"] Est-ce que quelqu'un sait que le joueur supporte la carte SD SDXC? Je veux acheter une carte SD de plus grande taille, merci! [/ QUOTE]
Bonjour, j'utilise une carte sdxc de 400g, ça marche très bien sans aucun bug.
Thank you, I ordered one 64gb sdxc card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back