Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Jul 26, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #3,301 of 3,742
anyone experience auto shut down of cayin i5 ?

for example i left it on idle with song pause for 8 hours or more like overnight or when i am working,

when i try to light up the screen after that nothing happen (which i had to power it up again ) with battery remain

idle shutdown : off
scheduled power off : off

this happen 3 times this week

Looks like your battery gauge need a calibration. While Lithium battery installed in i5 does not have memory effect, it does has what we called inaccurate gauge issue, and this problem is quite common when a battery has been idled and/or drained for a long time. If you run into inaccurate battery reading or sudden power off when the duration period didn't add up, I suggest you do a gauge calibration to verify the problem. In fact this is something that we all should be doing occasionally. I normally do this after 15-20 charging cycle (2 times 50% charging is count as one cycle) An inaccurate gauge can lead to the fact that the the battery capacity values are are wrong. The battery may report that it still has reasonable capacity when in fact it has a much lower value, and this causes the computer to shutdown unexpectedly. You can google the terms "Calibrate Gauge" on Lithium Battery.

To calibrate the gauge of a lithium battery, you simply need to do a full discharge followed by a full charge, so this is what I advice:

1. Turn on the LED screen to maximum brightness and set the screen to "always on", keep it running until the player turn off itself.
  2. Charge the battery overnight, till you see 99% or 100% on the meter

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 26, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #3,302 of 3,742
We didn't stop because of new products rolling out. The i5 firmware is not making any progress because the MCU company Leadcore has decided to pull out from portable audio market, without their solution support, we can only treat the MPU as a legacy system and develop codes to wrap around it, this is going to take a long time for minimum progress, or we even failed to solve the problem no matter how hard we tried.

In case you are unfamiliar with the semiconductor industry, when we adopt a MCU into our product, we don't own all the intelligent or associated coding, we obtained service from solution provider and Cayin, or any other manufacturer in HiFi industry, don't have the necessarily competence to deal with the semiconductor shop directly, that's why we need to rely on solution provider.

The N3 is based on a MCU from Ingenic Semiconductor, we are grateful to the support we have received so far, and that helps the firmware development task tremendously.
Hi Andykong !
You gave me a little understand . I mean not the firmware itself , namely Hiby music player . Firmware 2.0 is stable and I haven't seen it glitches . Hiby player itself is crude and full of errors . Side players are stable , for example Foobar2000 mobile , but how do you know third party players make downsampling to 16\44.1 or 16\48 . That is, we lose a bit of perfect if you listen to DSD or Hi rez . I tried to put Hiby player from Google play , but installation is not possible . And even more to say , I learned Hiby.apk from firmware and install it on the smartphone . The program was established and worked and had same error that I wrote earlier . I'm updating the whole firmware , I beg you not to leave us and to Refine himself Hiby player ! Good luck to you , hope and wait for the new firmware !!!

Jul 26, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #3,303 of 3,742
We didn't stop because of new products rolling out. The i5 firmware is not making any progress because the MCU company Leadcore has decided to pull out from portable audio market, without their solution support, we can only treat the MPU as a legacy system and develop codes to wrap around it, this is going to take a long time for minimum progress, or we even failed to solve the problem no matter how hard we tried.

In case you are unfamiliar with the semiconductor industry, when we adopt a MCU into our product, we don't own all the intelligent or associated coding, we obtained service from solution provider and Cayin, or any other manufacturer in HiFi industry, don't have the necessarily competence to deal with the semiconductor shop directly, that's why we need to rely on solution provider.

The N3 is based on a MCU from Ingenic Semiconductor, we are grateful to the support we have received so far, and that helps the firmware development task tremendously.

Any thoughts about the situation with playback controls on Bluetooth headphones? Seems that pause/play buttons work with 3rd party players but not the built in player. - would be nice if that could be improved?

Jul 28, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #3,304 of 3,742
Hey folks! New i5 owner here and most definitely pleased with this DAP! I use Android primarily and run custom ROMs on my phone and tablets so I prefer Android based anything. But I came across the issue below and it's driving me crazy that I can't figure out the problem.

I searched the thread and I apologize if this has been answered but I could not find it!!-- I pay for Google Music so I was hoping to download my playlists to the internal storage of the i5 as I do on my phone to be able to play without wifi or data needed. I was successful downloading 1 playlist less than 1gb in size and after that it says no more storage?? Odd because there's 29gb+ on my internal storage. If there's a workaround please do point me in the right direction?

Jul 30, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #3,305 of 3,742

So true gapless and proper album sorting may never happen right? :S Don't take me wrong, I'm very happy with my i5, but as I mentioned earlier I think it's just a few steps away from being the best DAP in its range and it sucks if it never reaches that point.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #3,306 of 3,742
Hey folks! New i5 owner here and most definitely pleased with this DAP! I use Android primarily and run custom ROMs on my phone and tablets so I prefer Android based anything. But I came across the issue below and it's driving me crazy that I can't figure out the problem.

I searched the thread and I apologize if this has been answered but I could not find it!!-- I pay for Google Music so I was hoping to download my playlists to the internal storage of the i5 as I do on my phone to be able to play without wifi or data needed. I was successful downloading 1 playlist less than 1gb in size and after that it says no more storage?? Odd because there's 29gb+ on my internal storage. If there's a workaround please do point me in the right direction?

Sorry for didn't response to your PM during weekend, we had a headfi meeting yesterday and that keep us pretty much occupied all through the weekend.

https://www.facebook.com/CayinAudio/posts/310962365981663

I am not a Google Music user, so I'll frank and tell you that I haven't try this before, so I need to ask couple of questions before I check out if this is feasible in i5.

First of all, you have emphasis that you want to download the music to the internal storage and failed, so do you have the option to set the download path? Can you direct the playlist to the external TF card instead? Same result in even when you download the playlist to memory card.?

Did you download the Google playlist to your mobile phone before? to internal storage or to the external memory card.

For the 1GB music that you have downloaded, can you play them alright? or can you create a short playlist (less then 1GB) and test whether you can download and play the list successfully?

Jul 31, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #3,307 of 3,742
So true gapless and proper album sorting may never happen right? :S Don't take me wrong, I'm very happy with my i5, but as I mentioned earlier I think it's just a few steps away from being the best DAP in its range and it sucks if it never reaches that point.

Yes, it might never happen, so far our effort is not paying off. The problem with legacy system approach is you cannot predict the result or progress.

In your opinion, the credibility of a DAP is a binary system (either best in the range or sucks) depend on this two features, I can't argue with you, I can just be optimistic and hoping that there are other users holding a different measurement system on DAP credibility.

Jul 31, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #3,308 of 3,742
Sorry for didn't response to your PM during weekend, we had a headfi meeting yesterday and that keep us pretty much occupied all through the weekend.

I am not a Google Music user, so I'll frank and tell you that I haven't try this before, so I need to ask couple of questions before I check out if this is feasible in i5.

First of all, you have emphasis that you want to download the music to the internal storage and failed, so do you have the option to set the download path? Can you direct the playlist to the external TF card instead? Same result in even when you download the playlist to memory card.?

Did you download the Google playlist to your mobile phone before? to internal storage or to the external memory card.

For the 1GB music that you have downloaded, can you play them alright? or can you create a short playlist (less then 1GB) and test whether you can download and play the list successfully?

Hey there. I have not tried to download my Google Music playlists to the SD card. It only allowed me to download the 1st (and largest, less than 1gb) playlist I tried before giving an error that there isn't enough space on INTERNAL storage. I am actually not sure if Google Music will allow download to SD card. Unfortunately I have a Nexus 6p with built in storage like the i5 but Google Music has no problem downloading all playlists to internal storage on my phone. However I am running Android 7.1.2 on my Nexus so that could make a difference.

I'll try to play with the settings more and see what I can figure out! Thanks for the response!

Jul 31, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #3,309 of 3,742

Just had a few mins to play with settings and here's what I found-- the i5 for whatever reason will not download/cache any of the playlists beyond 1gb. At 1gb it says no storage left (even when there's 29gb+ left on INTERNAL. And I cannot seem to get Google Music to download to SD card, which I feared would happen. Unfortunately without root access on the i5, I can't dive further into the folders and data to see what the issue could be. Just wanted to pass along what I found!

Jul 31, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #3,310 of 3,742
Yes, it might never happen, so far our effort is not paying off. The problem with legacy system approach is you cannot predict the result or progress.

In your opinion, the credibility of a DAP is a binary system (either best in the range or sucks) depend on this two features, I can't argue with you, I can just be optimistic and hoping that there are other users holding a different measurement system on DAP credibility.
Oh no Andy! You got me completely wrong. I did not stood for that ridiculous binary rating system, I refered to the fact that it sucks that a DAP that could be rated 10/10 will stay a 8,5/10, nothing more haha.

Aug 1, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #3,311 of 3,742
Oh no Andy! You got me completely wrong. I did not stood for that ridiculous binary rating system, I refered to the fact that it sucks that a DAP that could be rated 10/10 will stay a 8,5/10, nothing more haha.

Great, that is probably what I have in mind too, but unfortunately I can't admit it officially. :sweat_smile:

Aug 5, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #3,312 of 3,742
I have saved up to buy Cayin i5 I have a realy important question
I read that Cayin i5 have 1 + 4GB of internal memory for music playing and 32GB of internal
4GB+32GB, perhaps the 4GB is dedicated for the OS so that users can utilize the 32GB for storage files.
And yes, it does have a microSD card slot that supports up to 200GB of microSD card.

This i read in review, But now my question
I listen to music normaly without MicroSD card on my mp3 player, This metod i use i put it in dap mode i browse by artist
i dont use the folder browsing (files-folder) the idtag is correct on the music files this way. but rather (music-artist)
I carry around 32Gb of music usualy.

With Cayin i5 i read it have only 4GB of internal memory for music without card for music but 32GB of internal storage files
i dont understand this explaination.

Does this mean i can not use 32GB internal for music?
it say 32GB can be used for storage files.
can 32GB only be used browsing music by folders mode
or can i browse music by artist mode without using folder mode with 32GB without Card.
This 4gB only can be a problem for me

Is 4GB music storage for the music files i download with the player from internet using the Cayini5 to download,
because this i wont do, i will only copy over the music i have on my pc by conecting cayin i5 to the player, can i then use the 32GB storage to play the music without a Microsd card?
i prefer not use a microsd

Does Cayin i5 include a microsd card (how big) or must i buy one separate
what Microsd card size is recomended to use for Cayin i5 for best relation speed and price

Thank you

Update:
I found this review that easy explain that i5 have 32GB of internal flash memory
this is easy for me to understand, thanks for this review i feel better
https://twister6.com/2017/03/03/cayin-i5/

It dont say 4Gb music+32gb internal storage files
it say 32GB of internal flash memory which then make me think
i can store 32GB of music files and browse it by artist rather than folder browsing.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #3,314 of 3,742
If i want to have a Microsd card for cayin i5
would this card be fine for it (30 euro) ?

pFmPWbs.jpg
5Z2IIbL.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #3,315 of 3,742
Don't buy the i5 anymore. You are going to ride a dead horse!
Lol damn. It's too late for me.
I was a sucker for volume knobs. Ahhhhhh
I bought case + player combo on same day delivery!
It's coming today.

I only need it to output FLAC from local sd card. I will use my phone for bluetooth and rest.

@bluedolphin yeah honestly any sd card should work on these kind of daps. Are only a few daps that only work properly with sandisk like aune m1s. But most daps should work with any brand.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back