Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Sep 29, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #1,459 of 3,742
nmatheis any thoughts on SQ versus Shanling M5?

First pass impressions using MEE P1 at moderate listening volume with both DAPs and using Aphex Twin's new Cheetah EP in FLAC is that Shanling M5 has a warmer, fuller sound with a wider soundstage. Cayin i5 has a more neutral sound with an increased sense of separation of sound and a tighter, crisper overall sound. i5 soundstage was not as wide but had more depth. For this pairing and music, M5 edged out i5 for my listening preferences. M5 got my toes tapping and brought a smile to my face. i5 sounded a bit flat and the increased depth with corresponding width caught me off guard. Again, these are preliminary impressions comparing these two DAPs, and I'll try to chime back in with more thoughts as I find time.

Sep 29, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #1,460 of 3,742
A quick update to my friends and customers.

We'll have our national holiday from 1-7 October 2016, Cayin's production line, customer service and main office will resume service on 8 October 2016.

Cayin will attend the CanJam RMAF (7-9 October 2016), for those who will attend the RMAF, drop by and say Hi, I am delighted to meet friends and customers in person.

https://www.audiofest.net/attending/products/?keyword=I

I'll take a week off after the RMAF and visiting my friends in LA. Will back to office on 20 October 2016.

In other word, tomorrow will be the last minute packing up for the CanJam tour and I am behind schedule on that. That's why I have been very quite in the past few days at forum, I am seriously falling behind consider I won't be in office for around three weeks. Once I finish my CanJam preparation, I should be able to show up more often. :p

Regarding the Tidal streaming issue, I have keep an eye on the latest discussion. We are working on the problem as soon as we read the user comments in last 3-4 days. We have written email to Tidal trying to seek their clarification and support on certain scenario, and we are still waiting for their feedback. The optimization process Tidal will take a bit longer because Tidal is NOT available in China and our software team simply cannot test our product with Tidal without a special arrangement, maybe a pre-approved IP address or sending our engineers to HK (where Tidal is available) to try out firmware modifications. The next firmware update should be available round about the time I get back to office, but the chance to resolve the stuttering problem by that time, we'll try but consider the number of working days available before the next firmware release, I honestly cannot be optimistic.

Will respond to other issues later, most likely after I arrived at US. Please be rest assured all suggestions and questions in this thread will be read and considered, please pardon for the delay in this special situation. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 29, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #1,461 of 3,742
A quick update to my friends and customers.

We'll have our national holiday from 1-7 October 2016, Cayin's production line, customer service and main office will resume service on 8 October 2016.

Cayin will attend the CanJam RMAF (7-9 October 2016), for those who will attend the RMAF, drop by and say Hi, I am delighted to meet friends and customers in person.

https://www.audiofest.net/attending/products/?keyword=I

I'll take a week off after the RMAF and visiting my friends in LA. Will back to office on 20 October 2016.

In other word, tomorrow will be the last minute packing up for the CanJam tour and I am behind schedule on that. That's why I have been very quite in the past few days at forum, I am seriously falling behind consider I won't be in office for around three weeks. Once I finish my CanJam preparation, I should be able to show up more often.
tongue.gif

Regarding the Tidal streaming issue, I have keep an eye on the latest discussion. We are working on the problem as soon as we read the user comments in last 3-4 days. We have written email to Tidal trying to seek their clarification and support on certain scenario, and we are still waiting for their feedback. The optimization process Tidal will take a bit longer because Tidal is NOT available in China and our software team simply cannot test our product with Tidal without a special arrangement, maybe a pre-approved IP address or sending our engineers to HK (where Tidal is available) to try out firmware modifications. The next firmware update should be available round about the time I get back to office, but the chance to resolve the stuttering problem by that time, we'll try but consider the number of working days available before the next firmware release, I honestly cannot be optimistic.

Will respond to other issues later, most likely after I arrived at US. Please be rest assured all suggestions and questions in this thread will be read and considered, please pardon for the delay in this special situation.
beerchug.gif

Thanks for the update regarding Tidal, the issue is also present with Qobuz which is another lossless streaming service, it is even worse on that app.

Despite this I am impressed with the I5 overall, spund quality is excellent and hopefully these issues can be sorted in future firmware updates.

Sep 29, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #1,462 of 3,742
anyone know if the connection via usb dac otg works  ?? with the adapter brings the CAYIN i5 in the box, does not work,, I bought type cable c to digital coaxial and works without problem, but NO the usb dac,, have not installed the latest firmware .1.81

Sep 29, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #1,463 of 3,742
Thanks for the update regarding Tidal, the issue is also present with Qobuz which is another lossless streaming service, it is even worse on that app.

Despite this I am impressed with the I5 overall, spund quality is excellent and hopefully these issues can be sorted in future firmware updates.

Yes, I have written to Qobuz too, almost identical email to start with. The Qobuz is a tougher issue because the service is not available in Hong Kong and China, which make it almost impossible for us to conduct any testing unless Qobuz is helping out.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 29, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #1,464 of 3,742
anyone know if the connection via usb dac otg works  ?? with the adapter brings the CAYIN i5 in the box, does not work,, I bought type cable c to digital coaxial and works without problem, but NO the usb dac,, have not installed the latest firmware .1.81

Not available as USB DAC yet even on v1.81

Users who are viewing this thread

Back