Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Sep 24, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #1,426 of 3,742
Didn't see in-line remote control mentioned in this thread.

Can the Cayin i5 be controlled by the "Play/Pause/Forward/Reverse" and "Volume" Buttons on Earphone cables?

Thanks,
David Baldock

Sep 25, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #1,429 of 3,742
Is the Tidal playback working correctly for you? I am experiencing a constant micro stuttering both in offline and online mode.  

Tested Tidal out with both downloaded and streaming HiFi Tidal content and can confirm that I experienced what I can only imagine is the same sort of micro stuttering that you are but not to the same degree. I would describe it as low-level intermittent micro stuttering. It's not constant for me, but I'm hoping Cayin can solve this in the next FW update.

And I just way to point out that this has never happened with Play Music or any of the various music files on my mSD card.

Sep 25, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #1,430 of 3,742
Same experiencing stuttering in nearly every song on Tidal download and streaming hifi music. It also happens on apple music and MOOV app download and streaming music but less frequent than tidal. Hope they find a fix for it soon.

Sep 25, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #1,432 of 3,742
Omastic, DevilofLife: Can you guys please try something for me? Put the third-party apps into "offline" mode and see if you encounter the same stuttering with downloaded albums. I'm trying that right now with a downloaded HiFi quality album in Tidal. I'm seven songs into the album and haven't heard any of the intermittent micro stuttering I encountered yesterday with WiFi on.

EDIT: Of course, right after I wrote that, I started getting the intermittent micro stuttering even with WiFi off. Seems much better than with WiFi on but still not perfect...

Sep 25, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #1,433 of 3,742
A couple of days of use and still very happy with sound quality etc, however the wifi performance and streaming is so far leaving alot to be desired, hoping that Cayin can solve this with FW update.

Spotify works perfectly, no issues streaming or with downloads.

Tidal - stuttering in most songs, sometimes song just fades away then after I lose sound on all tracks. 

Qobuz - Same issues as Tidal but even worse with stuttering in downloaded songs and downloads that seem to take an age, 5 songs from one album took 35 minutes(fibre optic connection).

I've tried both of these lossless apps on my S7 phone using the same songs etc with no issues.

I hope Cayin comment here soon as I may have to send this back in the next couple of days under the UK 7 day distance selling rule as at the moment it does not meet the features that it is advertised as being able to do.  Don't have an issue waiting for a fix just need to know if one is possible.

Sep 25, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #1,434 of 3,742
Don't use Tidal (maybe need to see if they are offering a free trial), but Spotify steams perfectly.  Also, downloaded a few card games, getting a kick out of playing Solitaire on a DAP lol!!!  Watching videos on YT has some audio/video sync issues, but I don't really care about it.  To be able to stream, have wireless bluetooth connection, and even download and play a few games - that's just icing on the cake
wink.gif

Sep 25, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #1,435 of 3,742
  A couple of days of use and still very happy with sound quality etc, however the wifi performance and streaming is so far leaving alot to be desired, hoping that Cayin can solve this with FW update.

Spotify works perfectly, no issues streaming or with downloads.

Tidal - stuttering in most songs, sometimes song just fades away then after I lose sound on all tracks. 

Qobuz - Same issues as Tidal but even worse with stuttering in downloaded songs and downloads that seem to take an age, 5 songs from one album took 35 minutes(fibre optic connection).

I've tried both of these lossless apps on my S7 phone using the same songs etc with no issues.

I hope Cayin comment here soon as I may have to send this back in the next couple of days under the UK 7 day distance selling rule as at the moment it does not meet the features that it is advertised as being able to do.  Don't have an issue waiting for a fix just need to know if one is possible.

Shame, but seems as though others up the thread are having the same issues.  I'm assuming that playing from memory card and onboard storage has no issues?

Don't use Tidal (maybe need to see if they are offering a free trial), but Spotify steams perfectly.  Also, downloaded a few card games, getting a kick out of playing Solitaire on a DAP lol!!!  Watching videos on YT has some audio/video sync issues, but I don't really care about it.  To be able to stream, have wireless bluetooth connection, and even download and play a few games - that's just icing on the cake
wink.gif

Again Andy commented on the youtube issue a few posts back.

Sep 25, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #1,436 of 3,742

wink.gif

Thanks for bringing this up, yep, just found the explanation, makes perfect sense: http://www.head-fi.org/t/802382/cayin-i5-lossless-android-dap-with-akm4490-dac-supporting-32-384-pcm-64-128-dsd/1335#post_12877550

Sep 25, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #1,437 of 3,742
  Shame, but seems as though others up the thread are having the same issues.  I'm assuming that playing from memory card and onboard storage has no issues?

It is a shame as there are no issues playing from memory. Can see me sending this back to retailer on the basis that the unit is faulty/incapable of streaming as advertised.

Sep 25, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #1,438 of 3,742
Don't use Tidal (maybe need to see if they are offering a free trial), but Spotify steams perfectly.  Also, downloaded a few card games, getting a kick out of playing Solitaire on a DAP lol!!!  Watching videos on YT has some audio/video sync issues, but I don't really care about it.  To be able to stream, have wireless bluetooth connection, and even download and play a few games - that's just icing on the cake :wink:

Not taking full advantage of Tidal is the one thing I think Cayin needs to focus on. Not that I'm a Total user. I use Play Music and have had absolutely no issues with it on i5, but I imagine there will be many potential i5 buyers who will want Tidal to work flawlessly. For my needs, though I think i5 has nailed it with enough storage for my essential albums plus Play Music streaming over WiFi for discovering new music. Need to test out Mixcloud next for some of the curated Playlists I enjoy.

Sep 25, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #1,439 of 3,742
It is a shame as there are no issues playing from memory. Can see me sending this back to retailer on the basis that the unit is faulty/incapable of streaming as advertised.

I'm guessing the issues experienced will be addressed in future FW updates.

I seem to remember that similar issues with Wi-Fi, streaming etc were at the forefront with the X7, in which I followed the journey and outcome fervently.

Patience and elapse of time proved fruitful for a product eradicated of hardware deficiency.

To reiterate, this is probably software
related? Maybe even Tidal itself?

I watch and wait with confidence that improvement can be achieved.

Sep 25, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #1,440 of 3,742
Not taking full advantage of Tidal is the one thing I think Cayin needs to focus on. Not that I'm a Total user. I use Play Music and have had absolutely no issues with it on i5, but I imagine there will be many potential i5 buyers who will want Tidal to work flawlessly. For my needs, though I think i5 has nailed it with enough storage for my essential albums plus Play Music streaming over WiFi for discovering new music. Need to test out Mixcloud next for some of the curated Playlists I enjoy.

I think as long as it's lossy services such as Play Music or Spotify there will be no issues.  My Spotify is flawless.  It's the lossless services that seem to suffer which suggests that maybe the wifi section needs some kind of FW update - if this is possible.  I will keep mine as the sound quality is excellent and I hope they sort the wifi issue with lossless services.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back