Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Jun 22, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #5,731 of 6,212
Thank you @Andykong !
I plug RS6 in LO to C9 but recently I got N6ii Ti R01.
Can I plug it using C9 Preamp in mode?
Wich gain should I set on N6ii Ti?
Look like works fine with N6ii mid gain connected to C9 Line IN

R01 and C9 work fine in pre-amp mode. Starting with low gain, since the C9 carries out all the heavy lifting, the low gain should offer all the dynamic and handling at the lowest distortion and noise.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 23, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #5,732 of 6,212
I have a layman's question,
When is the c9 charging complete? When the fourth light is no longer flashing?
How long does it take to charge it? For me it takes around 5 hours or more, does that make sense?
Last question: How long do you use it until the battery runs out?
Thanks !!

Jun 24, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #5,733 of 6,212
Thinking about getting C9 to play with. I can run it with Shanling M9 and use the "line out" with 4.4mm interconnect. However, it'd be double amping. Has anyone able to find a solution to go from a balanced desktop DAC to the C9? You will need dual female XLR to single 4.4mm male to feed into C9. I have never seen an adapter like that.

Jun 24, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #5,734 of 6,212
Thinking about getting C9 to play with. I can run it with Shanling M9 and use the "line out" with 4.4mm interconnect. However, it'd be double amping. Has anyone able to find a solution to go from a balanced desktop DAC to the C9? You will need dual female XLR to single 4.4mm male to feed into C9. I have never seen an adapter like that.
But double is better than single. Wife + GF better than wife and beer.

Jun 24, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #5,735 of 6,212
You should be able to still use the 4.4mm interconnect and run the C9 in preamp mode. That way the C9 is always running at full power (essentially acting as a power amp) and volume is controlled via the M9.

Jun 24, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #5,736 of 6,212
You should be able to still use the 4.4mm interconnect and run the C9 in preamp mode. That way the C9 is always running at full power (essentially acting as a power amp) and volume is controlled via the M9.
Are you doing that with the R8? Looks like R8 has dedicated LO.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #5,737 of 6,212
No, I don't think you are double amping. If you use a line out. It would be if you used the phones output. If I use my C9 with line out from my N6ii then the volume control is only on the C9.

Jun 24, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #5,738 of 6,212

It won't be double amping IF you set the M9 to Line Out. (11:45 👇🏼)

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #5,739 of 6,212

Yes, you need something like THIS to connect C9 to a desktop DAC.

I am not familiar with Shanling M9, does it has a variable line out? or the line out is shared the circuit with phone out? If later, you can also try to connect M9 to C9 as pre-amp input.

Jun 24, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #5,740 of 6,212
I have a layman's question,
When is the c9 charging complete? When the fourth light is no longer flashing?
How long does it take to charge it? For me it takes around 5 hours or more, does that make sense?
Last question: How long do you use it until the battery runs out?
Thanks !!
1656116346969.png

The charging and duration information of C9 product specification is pretty accurate, several users have reported similar figures. If you are using a standard 5V2A USB charging and takes around 5 hours or more to completely charge up the batteries, that should be considered normal. You can speed up your charging if you use a QC3.0 charger, such as THIS one.

C9 will stop charging when the battery is full, that's when the fourth LED is no longer flashing. If you want to keep your Lithium battery in good condition and last longer, you can stop charging when the fourth LED is flashing for 20-30 minutes, roughly.

Jun 24, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #5,741 of 6,212
I have connected IFI micro iDSD to C9 by R & L RCA out of iDSD —> single ended 3.5 mm into C9 so certainly dual XLR to 4.4 mm as @Andykong suggests should work. My concern would be the possibility of short circuit across this interconnect between C9 and a POWERED desktop amp, invoking C9 protective mode —though as long as you don’t simultaneously charge C9 via USB I guess you may be alright. When I connected C9 to iDSD I made sure iDSD was operating via its battery (though I THINK the audio path and the battery charging circuits in the iDSD are isolated) and I never tried to charge C9 via USB at the same time. I had no problem even with the audio signal coming into iDSD from a powered streamer (Sonore MicroRendu) via USB.

Jun 24, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #5,742 of 6,212
Yes, you need something like THIS to connect C9 to a desktop DAC.

I am not familiar with Shanling M9, does it has a variable line out? or the line out is shared the circuit with phone out? If later, you can also try to connect M9 to C9 as pre-amp input.
I saw this cable. I don't think it works. Most desktop DACs have male XLR connector. You need female to XLR to 4.4mm adapter to go into the C9.

Jun 29, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #5,744 of 6,212
Jun 29, 2022 at 5:23 AM Post #5,745 of 6,212
@Andykong or @CayinSupport .....or anybody else that can help.

Ok probably really silly question time but I'm going to ask anyway

Can I use the pre-amp option when pairing with my N8ii? Is there any advantage of using pre amp over normal connection method?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back