Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Jun 29, 2022 at 5:51 AM Post #5,746 of 6,216
Jun 29, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #5,747 of 6,216
@Andykong or @CayinSupport .....or anybody else that can help.

Ok probably really silly question time but I'm going to ask anyway

Can I use the pre-amp option when pairing with my N8ii? Is there any advantage of using pre amp over normal connection method?

Yes, you can use Pre-amp input to connect N8ii to C9. Most users prefer line input mode with high-quality DAP that offers properly implemented line out, there are users who prefer pre-amp input mode, so I think this is worth trying definitely. You never know your preference until you try it out in person.

Please follow the instruction in C9 User Guide when you use Pre-amp input mode for the first time. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 29, 2022 at 6:07 AM Post #5,748 of 6,216
@Andykong - thanks for the quick response, I will try both methods

@Xinlisupreme - thanks for the link to that post, very helpful

Jun 29, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #5,749 of 6,216
Jun 29, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #5,750 of 6,216
Let me know what you think when C9 is added into the mix with N8ii....
@F700 can tell you it also.
Would be interesting test N8ii with LO and in preamp mode also connected to C9 OFC

Jun 29, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #5,751 of 6,216
@F700 can tell you it also.
Would be interesting test N8ii with LO and in preamp mode also connected to C9 OFC
Indeed. Already familiar with his thoughts, good to have more though as it's mixed opinion either side of a very fine line.

Jul 14, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #5,752 of 6,216
Wednesday night
And here are the stars
Next with C9 added ...
IMG20220713214855-01.jpeg

Jul 14, 2022 at 1:13 AM Post #5,754 of 6,216
I’d imagine the Fourté benefits from tube mode.
Mostly I just go non NuTube and Class A
But the Class A/B and P+ and NuTube is definitely awesome
You should try it if you have the opportunity ...
Here you see it
Now not a sharp pic since I still have to install the glass protector
IMG20220713221507.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #5,755 of 6,216
Mostly I just go non NuTube and Class A
But the Class A/B and P+ and NuTube is definitely awesome
You should try it if you have the opportunity ...
Here you see it
Now not a sharp pic since I still have to install the glass protector
IMG20220713221507.jpg
Ahhh, sorry, I was referring to when you add the C9 to the chain ☺️

Jul 14, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #5,757 of 6,216
Hi All,

After spending a couple hours reading through old threads I have a question regarding how to burn in (not debating whether I should or not). If I want to burn in a 100 hrs or so, there doesn't seem to be a way to do this non stop. Does anyone have any tips to minimize the amount of battery swapping I need to do?

Also if I am going to do burn in, it seems there are 4 modes I need to run:
1) Class A
2) Class A/B
3) Tube mode A
4) Tube mode A/B

Assuming the tubes are used in the power stage, then I believe I can just run 2 scenarios to cover all 4 modes:

1) Class A SS
2) Clas A/B Tube (less power than A to minimize battery swap)

Is this correct? Assuming the output stage is always SS, this will result in output stage getting 2X burn in.

Thanks

Jul 14, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #5,758 of 6,216
Hi All,

After spending a couple hours reading through old threads I have a question regarding how to burn in (not debating whether I should or not). If I want to burn in a 100 hrs or so, there doesn't seem to be a way to do this non stop. Does anyone have any tips to minimize the amount of battery swapping I need to do?

Also if I am going to do burn in, it seems there are 4 modes I need to run:
1) Class A
2) Class A/B
3) Tube mode A
4) Tube mode A/B

Assuming the tubes are used in the power stage, then I believe I can just run 2 scenarios to cover all 4 modes:

1) Class A SS
2) Clas A/B Tube (less power than A to minimize battery swap)

Is this correct? Assuming the output stage is always SS, this will result in output stage getting 2X burn in.

Thanks

Andy left a link in 1st post regarding burn-in settings.

Jul 14, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #5,759 of 6,216
Andy left a link in 1st post regarding burn-in settings.
Thanks! I did see that link but it went to a post that didn't say anything about burn in, but I now scrolled down and it's near the bottom.

Jul 18, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #5,760 of 6,216
All right. After a year of wrangling around battery export regulations -- battery rolling is hard due to laws prohibiting sending batteries across borders -- I've been able to secure four of these bad boys:

https://www.orbtronic.com/3500mah-18650-imr-battery-high-drain-rechargeable-orbtronic-li-ion

Think it was Twister6 (correct me if I'm wrong) who did a rundown of 5 different batteries for the c9, and their sound changes. Most muddied the sound and added bass, making the c9 sound considerably worse. These Orbtronics, he said, provide a blacker background.

I can concur -- that is exactly what they do. They also appear to lessen bass a tiny bit. There is added clarity across the whole spectrum due to a more silent background, and it's most apparent in the upper mids. Upper mids get a small boost for my years. Which lessens attention on bass. There's a tug of war between that upper mid / mid bass in tuning. You add bass you need to add upper mids, otherwise it becomes muddy. These Orbtronics seem to do something to that effect, hard to say without measurement. Either they lessen bass, or increase upper mids, or do both -- the effect is extra clarity and reigning in the c9's bass.

Going back to the stock green-boys, the bass is boomier. The sound is more liquid and smooth due to this, but detail perception suffers, and the sound is more fatiguing. I haven't gotten around to listening to a lot of material (5 hours in) but this fits me well. For the last year, I've been on a quest to make my Trailli less fatiguing out of the c9 -- that fatigue comes from the bass. The sheer volume of low frequency air is too much for me coming from u8t with m15 modules. The reduction of bass is so noticeable with the Orbtronics that I've gone and switched the sp2000s digital filter from Super Slow Roll-Off (the trebbliest) to Short Delay Sharp Roll-Off (default and bassiest), and even find myself using the tube option with the c9. Which I never did with the stocks. Just muddied the sound too much. With these Orbtronics -- when listening to very clear and dry albums like, say, Depeche Mode's Playing The Angel -- I find the added tube warmth adds some charm. Without pouring too much jam.

So, get them if you can. It's by no way a BIG difference. We're talking 3-5% improvement to an aspect of the total sound of the chain. But the change is definitely bigger than digital filters. I only differentiate between digital filters if they're on different ends of the scale. They're a binary for me. More treble / more bass. Others can't hear any difference in filters. If you're one of those people -- or don't have very sensitive IEMs -- chances are the Orbtronics won't change anything. If you're sensitive to stuff like this and would like

1. A 5% blacker background
2. A tiny bit of upper mid boost
3. A bit of bass reduction

Then these are a (subtle) tool for that job.

Currently only available in the US and Canada, though :frowning2:

Looking forward to other battery experiments from users --.20 bucks to improve the sound of a 2000 buck device by 5% is a good deal for me!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back