Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Jun 16, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #5,716 of 6,212
This is an interesting phenomenon- certainly on LO from R8 I am experiencing no volume problems of this nature. At one point, I connected IFI micro iDSD to C9 via single ended RCA LO and found that on Turbo mode I was experiencing clipping but when I turned Turbo off and decreased IEmatch to ‘high sensitivity’ it all resolved. Could this be a gain issue on the Hugo2 side?
Yeah, that’s what I thought as well. It probably has something to do with the Hugo2. It does have some power reserve for its size compare to most DAPs. It’s not famous for its customizability though, it is what it is, I just have to work around it’s quirks.

No complaining. It’s always good to have options and in my eye, this is where the C9’s strength is at. I could bring the H2+C9 and a great pair of headphones to a short trip, or, the same rig with an IEM back in the office. I just plug H2 to its charger and C9 to a power bank with 2.1A output. They can last me a whole workday (they do get pretty hot to the touch). Desktop level performance anywhere you go.

Jun 16, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #5,718 of 6,212
This is how I use my Cayin C9.

Attachments

• E37F7F3A-5775-440D-A0C7-BF7A455683BE.jpeg
    E37F7F3A-5775-440D-A0C7-BF7A455683BE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Jun 16, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #5,720 of 6,212
I bought a cheap 60mm Noctua fan and a 3pin->usb cord for the C9 heat. I have it laying behind the C9, works pretty well.
Ok , but now it will sound worse , but atleast its not hot.

Jun 16, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #5,721 of 6,212
Yeah, that’s what I thought as well. It probably has something to do with the Hugo2. It does have some power reserve for its size compare to most DAPs. It’s not famous for its customizability though, it is what it is, I just have to work around it’s quirks.

No complaining. It’s always good to have options and in my eye, this is where the C9’s strength is at. I could bring the H2+C9 and a great pair of headphones to a short trip, or, the same rig with an IEM back in the office. I just plug H2 to its charger and C9 to a power bank with 2.1A output. They can last me a whole workday (they do get pretty hot to the touch). Desktop level performance anywhere you go.
I hadn’t noticed so much of a heat problem but I’ve opted not to charge my C9 while playing, which for me was a source of a lot of heat. I have the extra C9 battery charger unit and a set of 18650 Orbtronics and charge them or the original Sony batteries externally.

My hat is off to you for your commitment to SQ if you take the whole lot with you when you travel. I only traveled once with the whole kit and that was by car, so I only had to carry it all from the car into the hotel. Even though I could pack it all in my carry on if I fly, and have good protective cases for it and the DAP, it’d be pretty heavy to cart around. Most recently I’ve been taking my Cayin RU-6 with me, and just plug it into my iPhone and keep that charged with a MagSafe wireless charger. It’s not as delicious sonically as the DAP + C9 combo but has a 4.4 mm balanced port and is way easier to carry. Different strokes…

Jun 16, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #5,722 of 6,212
The Cayin C9 has user replaceable batteries. So it's nice not needing to baby it. Let the candle burn twice as bright!

Jun 17, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #5,723 of 6,212
Jun 17, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #5,724 of 6,212
I want to understand something, I see a lot of people here use c9 with iem, and I wonder if this is what c9 is for?
It's an amplifier with a lot of power, for me it easily moves the hd800, and iem's not need a lot of power and dap is definitely good enough for them,
Another question, about what volume do you put your dap on when you connect it to c9?
Thank you!

Why do we use high-power amplifier for IEM? check HERE.

Regarding volume setting, maybe you should understand the concept behind line out, check HERE.

By the way, we have a FAQ and Resources section, go to the opening post on page 1 and scroll all the way down to the end of the opening post.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 17, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #5,725 of 6,212
The Cayin C9 charge circuit will automatically adapt to the wattage it requires will it not?

I'm contemplating unplugging the 100W USB-C MacBook charger from my MacBook and charging the Cayin but not sure I should... (yes it works just fine but I made sure I switched it off well before it was at full charge just to be safe)

The Cayin C9 is up there with the very best portable headphone/IEM amplifiers I have ever heard. I very much enjoy it with the SP2000 -> C9 -> Oriolus Trailii combination.

I believe the 100W USB-C MacBook charger is PD level 2 compatible, please verify this with the documentation of your MacBook charger. If this is the case, it works with Cayin C9 alright.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 17, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #5,726 of 6,212
Why do we use high-power amplifier for IEM? check HERE.

Regarding volume setting, maybe you should understand the concept behind line out, check HERE.

By the way, we have a FAQ and Resources section, go to the opening post on page 1 and scroll all the way down to the end of the opening post.
Thank you @Andykong !
I plug RS6 in LO to C9 but recently I got N6ii Ti R01.
Can I plug it using C9 Preamp in mode?
Wich gain should I set on N6ii Ti?

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #5,727 of 6,212
Look like works fine with N6ii mid gain connected to C9 Line IN

83F2C27D-ADF0-4745-9BDC-35D19FB8076B.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back