Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Jun 3, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #5,701 of 6,212
Creatures of the night including me
Enjoying some music
And I hope you as well ... 🙏
IMG20220602211843-02.jpeg

Jun 4, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #5,702 of 6,212
The Cayin C9 charge circuit will automatically adapt to the wattage it requires will it not?

I'm contemplating unplugging the 100W USB-C MacBook charger from my MacBook and charging the Cayin but not sure I should... (yes it works just fine but I made sure I switched it off well before it was at full charge just to be safe)

The Cayin C9 is up there with the very best portable headphone/IEM amplifiers I have ever heard. I very much enjoy it with the SP2000 -> C9 -> Oriolus Trailii combination.

IMG_1629.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #5,704 of 6,212
The Cayin C9 charge circuit will automatically adapt to the wattage it requires will it not?

I'm contemplating unplugging the 100W USB-C MacBook charger from my MacBook and charging the Cayin but not sure I should... (yes it works just fine but I made sure I switched it off well before it was at full charge just to be safe)

The Cayin C9 is up there with the very best portable headphone/IEM amplifiers I have ever heard. I very much enjoy it with the SP2000 -> C9 -> Oriolus Trailii combination.

IMG_1629.jpeg
I was scolded here for using an adapter like that to feed my C9. Actually though, I found that just using the SE line out from SP2k is really good with C9.

Jun 13, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #5,706 of 6,212
I was scolded here for using an adapter like that to feed my C9. Actually though, I found that just using the SE line out from SP2k is really good with C9.

I use the Effect Audio A&K balanced adapter to create a 4.4mm line out port. Works well. I also get good results with the Cayin C9 for colouring tonality on the Chord Hugo 2 (Using a PWA RCA adapter -> 4.4mm)

Jun 13, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #5,707 of 6,212
Gonna fire these babies up again
Love the sound
Mr. Lee definitely knew what he did and glad I can enjoy this pair
The Liquid Links Venom is a real nice cable
Great combination if you ask me
DX300 & C9 are doing overtime
Wondering how they will sound with my arriving N8II ... 🤔
IMG20220613202328~2-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2022 at 6:13 AM Post #5,708 of 6,212
I want to understand something, I see a lot of people here use c9 with iem, and I wonder if this is what c9 is for?
It's an amplifier with a lot of power, for me it easily moves the hd800, and iem's not need a lot of power and dap is definitely good enough for them,
Another question, about what volume do you put your dap on when you connect it to c9?
Thank you!

Jun 15, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #5,709 of 6,212
You should be using the dedicated line out mode on the DAP.

It’s a little more complicated than ‘power’. However, the amp stage of most DAP’s have their limitations. Whilst the C9 doesn‘t quite compare to a $2000 desktop amp - it is very accomplished for a portable model. The opportunity to tune the sound to the nuTube/solid state and class A/B as well as improvements in dynamics, soundstage are perhaps subtle for most. But at the top end (e.g. Trailli) it is noticeable. And a great way to be able to power both your IEM and a decent headphone on the go.

Jun 15, 2022 at 7:33 AM Post #5,710 of 6,212
I want to understand something, I see a lot of people here use c9 with iem, and I wonder if this is what c9 is for?
It's an amplifier with a lot of power, for me it easily moves the hd800, and iem's not need a lot of power and dap is definitely good enough for them,
Another question, about what volume do you put your dap on when you connect it to c9?
Thank you!
I use it to power my Diana V2’s when traveling

Jun 15, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #5,711 of 6,212
Thank you!
I use my C9 for IEM’s and full sized headphones. It works great powering both.

Jun 15, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #5,712 of 6,212
Thank you!
When you connect from dedicated line out mode, C9 controls volume. In Pre-Amp mode, your DAP controls volume, so pls start with volume turned down on your DAP and then adjust to a comfortable volume. Otherwise if you have turned up volume too high on your DAP, when sound kicks in you may suddenly damage your hearing.

In terms of whether sound differences on DAP + C9 vs DAP alone are subtle, pls see head-fi detailed reviews Here. As a C9 owner IMHO it is “as subtle as a fine wine, and as thoroughly delicious”.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #5,713 of 6,212
Thank you!
I bought the C9 for my Hugo2+EE Odin under the impression that this is an IEM amp that has the potential to drive full size cans. After I got it, I found out that I can’t use the 3v LO mode on Hugo2 since it’s too hot and I can’t turn the volume on C9 past 9 o’clock for the Odin. My only other IEM is a Solaris SE which is more sensitive so I didn’t even try that on LO. At the end, for my IEM listing, I just fix C9’s volume at 12 o’clock and using Hugo2’s volume ball to adjust, which it could barely pass 20%(red).

IMHO, adding this amp improve the Odin somewhat, mainly the soundstage and placement but not much else over the Hugo2. Surprisingly, it made a big improvement on the Solaris SE, made everything better all around. I think I read somewhere that the C9 has the ability to make mid tier IEM sing like a TOTL. Maybe this is the effect people are talking about?

It’s a much more straightforward story on my headphones. Hugo2’s LO or C9’s Pre mode all work beautifully and even has slightly different flavor in sound to my ear. It made my LCD4z more lively, spacious with better bass. A meatier sound overall. It can even drive the Diana TC to an enjoyable level. Not FULL potential, it’s not that magical, but it definitely can offer some enjoyable listings over a short trip.

Overall, very versatile and capable amp.

Jun 16, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #5,715 of 6,212
I bought the C9 for my Hugo2+EE Odin under the impression that this is an IEM amp that has the potential to drive full size cans. After I got it, I found out that I can’t use the 3v LO mode on Hugo2 since it’s too hot and I can’t turn the volume on C9 past 9 o’clock for the Odin. My only other IEM is a Solaris SE which is more sensitive so I didn’t even try that on LO. At the end, for my IEM listing, I just fix C9’s volume at 12 o’clock and using Hugo2’s volume ball to adjust, which it could barely pass 20%(red).

IMHO, adding this amp improve the Odin somewhat, mainly the soundstage and placement but not much else over the Hugo2. Surprisingly, it made a big improvement on the Solaris SE, made everything better all around. I think I read somewhere that the C9 has the ability to make mid tier IEM sing like a TOTL. Maybe this is the effect people are talking about?

It’s a much more straightforward story on my headphones. Hugo2’s LO or C9’s Pre mode all work beautifully and even has slightly different flavor in sound to my ear. It made my LCD4z more lively, spacious with better bass. A meatier sound overall. It can even drive the Diana TC to an enjoyable level. Not FULL potential, it’s not that magical, but it definitely can offer some enjoyable listings over a short trip.

Overall, very versatile and capable amp.
This is an interesting phenomenon- certainly on LO from R8 I am experiencing no volume problems of this nature. At one point, I connected IFI micro iDSD to C9 via single ended RCA LO and found that on Turbo mode I was experiencing clipping but when I turned Turbo off and decreased IEmatch to ‘high sensitivity’ it all resolved. Could this be a gain issue on the Hugo2 side?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back