Cavalli Compact Tube Hybrid (CTH) Tube & Tweak thread.
Apr 9, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #61 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That would be cool but all I can grade it with is my 650's. That amp does well with 650's? or no?

I should think it will..a few members of the prototyping team have HD580s..so am going to say yes.

Apr 9, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #62 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should think it will..a few members of the prototyping team have HD580s..so am going to say yes.

Kewl
wink_face.gif

Apr 10, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #65 of 691
finally got my russian Teflons ft3; these are quite good. They are a bargain on ebay, music seemed to open up more (more space and details), vocals are great very smooth and natural. They are almost the size of the board
smile_phones.gif
They sound little slow but I think they need some burn in as others say with these Teflons.

Apr 10, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #66 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by keyid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
finally got my russian Teflons ft3; these are quite good. They are a bargain on ebay, music seemed to open up more (more space and details), vocals are great very smooth and natural. They are almost the size of the board
smile_phones.gif
They sound little slow but I think they need some burn in as others say with these Teflons.

Do you have a couple extra ? I want to try it out...going to install the Dayton's tomorrow.

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #67 of 691
Which teflons did you get? I'm using some .22uF 600V in my Tubelab Simple SE amp and they are quite huge, hehe. They sound fantastic though, the bulk is worth dealing with.

Apr 10, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #69 of 691
Sachu - wish I had another pair sorry. Want a pair russian PIO's?

Coreyk - They are FT3. How long did yours take to burn in? They sound alot better now +4 hours burn in.

oldblueyez - yes, would like to take a gander at your tube collection. Ill make sure to sew in some hidden pockets
smily_headphones1.gif

Going to have to case this amp soon, already had piece of wire short my regs. With these gigantic caps going have to experiment. Im thinking of having them attached on the sides like a rocket offset with plastic holders. The caps body doesnt like to touch ground (SG).

Apr 10, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #70 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by keyid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sachu - wish I had another pair sorry. Want a pair russian PIO's?

Coreyk - They are FT3. How long did yours take to burn in? They sound alot better now +4 hours burn in.

oldblueyez - yes, would like to take a gander at your tube collection. Ill make sure to sew in some hidden pockets
smily_headphones1.gif

Going to have to case this amp soon, already had piece of wire short my regs. With these gigantic caps going have to experiment. Im thinking of having them attached on the sides like a rocket offset with plastic holders. The caps body doesnt like to touch ground (SG).

That is funny and I think you should do it. Maybe you could get a pseudo nose cone by having a pointed volume knob. You can call it "CTH Stage One".

Apr 10, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #71 of 691
I left my amp turned on for about 20 hours straight after I built it and they seemed to really wake up and smooth out, of course thats with ~470v running through them so it might happen a little faster, I can't say I have noticed any other significant changes since that initial burn in time.

That amp is easily my favorite speaker amp, I don't know if its really because of the FT-3s in the signal path, or if a single ended tube amp really just sounds that damn good, and I never knew that 10 watts could really get as loud as it does. I did learn that if I leave that amp on for that long it could almost pull double duty as a space heater though, haha, those 6L6GCs really put out some heat.

Apr 17, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #73 of 691
Apr 17, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #74 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by uberburger101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This amp looks extremely customizable, though I would probably end up spending more on trying tubes than the amp itself.
tongue.gif

I'm assuming this is the normal price those Sylvania Gold Brand 5814 go for?

That is cheap for any GB series Sylvania tubes, especially the units with the gold pins.

God another one for you guys today: "RCA 5814A" Command, sounds great, closed in compared to the Siemens but they hit hard and voices are sweet as honey and the added weight did not come at the expense of speed like some of the other warm tube out there.

Apr 17, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #75 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by uberburger101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This amp looks extremely customizable, though I would probably end up spending more on trying tubes than the amp itself.

Yep, Already done that.
k701smile.gif

A new tube is cheaper than buying a new amp though, and each time you get a new tube to try it is like you have a new amp again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back