Cavalli Compact Tube Hybrid (CTH) Tube & Tweak thread.
Apr 4, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #31 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never thought of that, you guys should really stick with the cheap'o American tubes!!!!!!! No need wasting money!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Heh..got way too many of those and my tax return just came in..

AM gunning for a coupleof those 12AU7s hard now !
tongue.gif

Apr 5, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #32 of 691
I'm just waiting for my CTH kit to come in from spruce canyon and I'll start building my amp.

I found out that a guy I work with is into ham radio stuff and he said he had a whole bunch of old tubes at his house. Well yesterday I was finally able to get over to his place and sort through one of his boxes and found a bunch of goodies for tube rolling.

13 - 6CG7
17 - 12AT7
5 - 12BH7
7 - 12AU7
6 - 12AX7

The gems of the bunch were 2 mullard 12AU7 and 1 Mullard 12AX7.
They were mostly unboxed of unknown condition, but the price was right, free!
I may need to invest in a tube tester one of these days.
I don't know if the CTH can use a 12AT7, if not they are still useful to me since my SE speaker amp uses a 12AT7 for the input tube. Can the CTH use the 12AX7? the pinout is the same as the 12AU7.

Also one of the 12BH7A has gold pins, the brand logo is pretty worn but it looks like a Realistic Lifetime made in Gt Britain.

mullards.jpg

011.jpg

Apr 6, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #35 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coreyk78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just waiting for my CTH kit to come in from spruce canyon and I'll start building my amp.

I found out that a guy I work with is into ham radio stuff and he said he had a whole bunch of old tubes at his house. Well yesterday I was finally able to get over to his place and sort through one of his boxes and found a bunch of goodies for tube rolling.

13 - 6CG7
17 - 12AT7
5 - 12BH7
7 - 12AU7
6 - 12AX7

The gems of the bunch were 2 mullard 12AU7 and 1 Mullard 12AX7.
They were mostly unboxed of unknown condition, but the price was right, free!
I don't know if the CTH can use a 12AT7, if not they are still useful to me since my SE speaker amp uses a 12AT7 for the input tube. Can the CTH use the 12AX7? the pinout is the same as the 12AU7.

Also one of the 12BH7A has gold pins, the brand logo is pretty worn but it looks like a Realistic Lifetime made in Gt Britain.

mullards.jpg

011.jpg

Hopefully one of those mullards is a long plate. That gold pin 12BH7A sounds interesting. Make sure the wife bakes this guy a cake or something.

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #36 of 691
Quote:

Well if your CTH kit is on the way, you just invested in a pretty good one in my book.
wink.gif

Plug it in. If it sounds good - it's a good tube.
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #37 of 691
Quote:

13 - 6CG7
17 - 12AT7
5 - 12BH7
7 - 12AU7
6 - 12AX7

Nice find.
beerchug.gif

Re the 12AT7 & 12AX7, no they will not work in the CTH, several prototypers tried them with no luck. Even if you could get them to work the gain would be far to high anyway.

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #38 of 691
I'm listening to David Crosby - If Only I Could Remember My Name ~ Tamilpais High (At About 3) on a 12" 45 through this NOS 6189 from '58 and it sounds pretty fing amazing... Triple mica with black plates and a bit of dust.

Apr 6, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #39 of 691
Quote:

Cadillac and Chevrolet, the GB's (and they must have the gold pins, some dont and they are different) were made for high end audio applications. If someone buys them I am in for one of them.

maybe i'll get it if i end up getting this amp

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #40 of 691
Just wanted to say sachu, really appreciate you gathering the russian tubes for us (61NPs) ...a beer awaits if ever you're in Toronto
wink.gif

Btw, interested to hear any impressions on these tubes.

zk

Apr 6, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #41 of 691
Listening to 6p1n-ev right now. I have four (rocket logos) and have had some stability issues with a couple of them and the e12 circuit, although fine at the moment. They sound quite good. Really nice bass extension. Thick, warmish--maybe a little loss of top treble. I have also noticed that the four seem to have different amounts of gain, if that's possible--although my memory may be suspect on this.

Apr 7, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #44 of 691
Quote:

I never thought of that, you guys should really stick with the cheap'o American tubes!!!!!!! No need wasting money!!!!!
biggrin.gif

yes pls, and no more talk about e82cc
tongue.gif
. Im trying to get another one as mine has an annoying hum.

Apr 7, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #45 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by keyid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes pls, and no more talk about e82cc
tongue.gif
. Im trying to get another one as mine has an annoying hum.

I will trade you for a pair of RCA black plate 5687's. Telefunken ECC82 Ribbed plate is just as nice if not nicer, easier to find too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back