Cavalli Compact Tube Hybrid (CTH) Tube & Tweak thread.
Apr 17, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #76 of 691
I also got some RCA 5814a recently, one is from 1964 other 65. They have Black plate round getter extra mica supports, they adds alot of weight to each note very full bodied. Tube matches well with the teflon caps, as they smoothed alot of the meat behind my previous tubes in exchange for space and details. This tubes brings the weight back.

Do those GB sylvania's from ebay link triple mica?

Apr 17, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #79 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by Forte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, Already done that.
k701smile.gif

A new tube is cheaper than buying a new amp though, and each time you get a new tube to try it is like you have a new amp again.

I vote this post for quote of the year. People just dont understand how important tube rolling is.

Apr 17, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #80 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by keyid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also got some RCA 5814a recently, one is from 1964 other 65. They have Black plate round getter extra mica supports, they adds alot of weight to each note very full bodied. Tube matches well with the teflon caps, as they smoothed alot of the meat behind my previous tubes in exchange for space and details. This tubes brings the weight back.

Do those GB sylvania's from ebay link triple mica?

2 mica

Apr 17, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #81 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by keyid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my knowledge on them is limited but I assume older the better, D getter is found on older tubes, black plates I find sounds better then gray,

I never concern myself with color or getter style. As long as you have the correct tube and it was made in the proper factory then I would not worry about it.

Apr 17, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #82 of 691
Well, I initially asked that question because I accidentally bid on 2 tubes of which I can only use 1. I thought they were a pair of GB Sylvania 5751 but instead it was one Sylvania GB 3 Mica gray plate 5751 and one Sylvania GB 5814A.
frown.gif

Should be up for sale here once I get those 2 tubes.

Apr 17, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #83 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by uberburger101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I initially asked that question because I accidentally bid on 2 tubes of which I can only use 1. I thought they were a pair of GB Sylvania 5751 but instead it was one Sylvania GB 3 Mica gray plate 5751 and one Sylvania GB 5814A.
frown.gif

Dont worry about it, put the other 1 back on eBay if you dont sell it, BUT, the Sylvania you bought is a sweet tube, it walks the fine line between too warm and not. Its got plenty of weight but its not so rolled off in the highs like a lot of the warmer tubes are. You will have fun with that.

Apr 17, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #84 of 691
Quote:

frown.gif

What will you do with the 5751's? For the CTH you want the 5814A.

5751 is a 12AX7 Variant. What you want is a 12AU7 or Variant!!! 12AU7 / 12AU7A / ECC82 / CV4003 / B749 / 5814A / 5693 / E82CC / 7316 / ECC802S

Apr 17, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #86 of 691
Quote:

I'm getting the MAD Ear+ HD, so I'll need the 5751, not the 5814A. That's what I meant, sorry for the confusion. I'll have to sell the Sylvania GB 5814A. Somehow.

I get it.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #88 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by Forte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A new tube is cheaper than buying a new amp though, and each time you get a new tube to try it is like you have a new amp again.

YES & for this amp there are a load of them. Perhaps I'll amend the 1st post down the road & try to accumulate tubes + impressions in this amp. Again, there are other factors at play but I *think* a given tube's core influence on music in this amp *may* be able to be identified.

BTW, as I posted way back, very variable coupling caps do this too... Perhaps to a lesser extent & are way more trouble to fit/change.
BTW, I'm pulling the Mundorf S+Os for now as they are too lush/dark/bass-heavy w/all but a couple of my "brightest" tubes for my tastes (w/my fav D2000s, better w/DT-880s tho). Trying Sonicap Gen Is next. But in the end BoM or Wimas or Sonicap Gen IIs may be it.

olblueyez - Hey, what tubes will you have for those 3 CTH kits you said you would take
biggrin.gif
Don't worry I know it wasn't a firm commitment
wink.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #90 of 691
Quote:

I have NEVER DIYed anything before, would you say this amp is easy to start with? It looks really packed.

Would not say easy to start with. Nux(?) seems to have succeeded tho, guess it depends. Here are a couple of my thoughts on this.
Could be better to get at least one more simple build (cmoy?) under your belt... But you only live once & don't know your risk tolerance (waffle, wiggle, waggle
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back