Cavalli Compact Tube Hybrid (CTH) Tube & Tweak thread.
May 5, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #106 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by keyid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get E82CC for siemens, i have both E82CC and ECC82 and the E82CC is much better. I hope to get those rebadged Siemens triple mica tomorrow.

Yep..the E82CC are the ones myself and Smeggy are getting. Cost us about 27$ a pop shipped. Better be worth it.
tongue.gif

May 15, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #109 of 691
In case a CTH owner/builder missed this, *if* you are experiencing a bit of hum/noise between tracks, and this annoys you enough, we've found a solution WRT heater-circuit-contributed hum/noise: C3H revision.

WRT CTH's C4 coupling caps, I've pulled the honking, expensive Mundorf 0.22uf S/Os in favor of Sonicap Gen Is. If anyone wants the pair of S/Os for $36 USD shipped CONUS let me know.... That's about 1/2 of what they cost new to your door.
Edit: keyid snatched these up. He's getting a good deal but I've faaarrrr to much $$ tied up in headamp, projects & parts
smily_headphones1.gif
Of course saying this while accumulating materials for a β22 build this fall. Not the only crazy around here tho.

Although I may find Sonicap Gen Is my overall favorites in this amp, think that std BoM, or WIMA or Sonicap Gen II upgrades may end up best for most.

Tube-wise, Amperex (Holland) 6DJ8s & Siemens 12au7 chrome plates are still at the top of my heap. They each have very different presentation (6DJ8s - punchy/great bass, 12au7 - honest/flatter).

But I've not heard a tube in the CTH that I don't enjoy, except for perhaps my (inherently?) noisy 6BZ7s.

May 15, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #111 of 691
Those caps are mine!

btw, how did the GenI's change the sound?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfcubed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In case a CTH owner/builder missed this, *if* you are experiencing a bit of hum/noise between tracks, and this annoys you enough, we've found a solution WRT heater-circuit-contributed hum/noise: C3H revision.

WRT CTH's C4 coupling caps, I've pulled the honking, expensive Mundorf 0.22uf S/Os in favor of Sonicap Gen Is. If anyone wants the pair of S/Os for $36 USD shipped CONUS let me know.... That's about 1/2 of what they cost new to your door.

Although I may find Sonicap Gen Is my overall favorites in this amp, think that std BoM, or WIMA or Sonicap Gen II upgrades may end up best for most.

Tube-wise, Amperex (Holland) 6DJ8s & Siemens 12au7 chrome plates are still at the top of my heap. They each have very different presentation (6DJ8s - punchy/great bass, 12au7 - honest/flatter).

But I've not heard a tube in the CTH that I don't enjoy, except for perhaps my (inherently?) noisy 6BZ7s.

May 15, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #112 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by keyid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those caps are mine!

btw, how did the GenI's change the sound?

YGPM.

I've found CTH C4 couplers (all 0.22uF) I've tried to exhibit these attributes to my (tin) ears:
  • std BoM caps - Good lower-cost, small part. Does not excell on bottom end or detail like others do.
  • WIMAs - A step up from std BoM parts. Nice all-around performer esp. for the cost & size.
  • Sonicap Gen IIs - Perhaps the sweet spot in terms of size, cost, detail, range & bottom-end. "Honest" presentation.
  • Sonicap Gen Is - Will need to listen more to detect "improvement" over Sonicap Gen IIs. Too large for BoM case I believe.
  • Mundorf S+O - See my posts here. The king of lushness & bottom-end while remaining "true". The lushness / bass performance may give the impression of less detail if used with tubes that do not excel in detail OR w/cans that do not excel in detail. Not preferable for me w/Amperex (holland) 6DJ8s + D2000s which are already bass-heavy IMO. But nice w/less punchy tubes & my secondary DT-880s.
Just a couple months ago I was poo-pooing caps > a USD or two. While I may still not have the greatest "pallet" when it comes to accessing SQ, trying these caps in the CTH has opened my eyes.

As opinioned around here, (most?) Cavalli designs do not require fancy-pants caps to sound very good. But they do not hurt either
smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #114 of 691
I got cfc's Mcap Silver / Oil yesterday and im really loving them. They blow away all the caps I have tried on the CTH amp, among them the Teflon FT3, genII, PIO and wimas. With siemens 5814a, the bass has become solid and the highs have a pleasant simmering lasting quality. The sound has many trackable layers with good separation reminding of the Eddie Current EC/SS. These caps have marvelous decay and sound very detailed yet relaxed. My other 12au7 tubes sound different with these caps and enjoying rolling them in again.

Talking with cfc's I suggested he switch source from his ipod to a cdp. I think a higher end cdp source will improve the sound with the CTH and perhaps help hear more differences with caps. I found even switching to a better transport help on the CTH.

going to have to thank cfc again for awesome price!

May 21, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #115 of 691
A few listening impressions

amperex PQ, white label shiled logo.
On the warm side, big sound, lovely fluid mids and very clear highs. Bass is a slightly lacking definition. 8/10

6n6p
this tube is so tight. Everything is where it should be. Deep bass, but so well controlled, highs extend, mids are there in spades. It just seems..... right. Maybe for some it doesnt sound 'tubey' enough. That slight bass bloat, that slight midrange bloom isnt there, it just seem transparant. 8/10

only trouble is with it is, the 800ma heater draw.

Mullard Ecc88
TUBEY, lush mid bloom, liquid slightly rolled off highs, slightly floppy bass. Very endearing tube for jazz and female vocals. Noise floor is higher, i gues i just have a slightly noisey tube. 7/10

6n1p- EV
I like this tube, its as cheap as chips and its lively. sparkling highs, perhaps too much for a bright setup (not for my hd650's though!). Again, the bass isnt quite right when compared to the 6n6p. 8/10.

Does this mean i stick with 6n6p all the time? no. If i want to listen to feist, or ray lamontagne, maybe even norah jones then the mullard ecc88 sounds superb. R and B, maybe dance, then the 6n1p or 6n6p sound great.

what i want to listen to mix of genres? the 8416 is the best of the lot for me. It gives that valve colouration that i get on with but is tight enough to get on with bassy music, and 'tubey enough to give vocals that extra magic. Its my best all rounder.

I also have an RCA 5814a on the way (i paid a massive 99p for it on ebay!)

May 21, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #118 of 691
6n6p is very good, and again, so so cheap it would be rude not to try one.

I havent tried the i version, but most reports say they dont sound much different.

May 21, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #119 of 691
Thanks. I have both 6n6p and 6n6p-i, but I haven't done the due diligence of comparison. 6n6p-i can't run on CTH without mods, it's a 900mA heater and the stock config can only handle up to 800mA (according to part specs)...(wink wink, try it, it may still work, but don't blame me if something fries particularly the big coil).

I fully intend to give it a go around with my Bijou though as it can handle the heater loads without any problems. The Bijou is really starting to form and is sounding quite nicely now with 6N1P and 6N6P-i.

May 22, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #120 of 691
Ok, I'm gonna buy a 6n6p to try, what is the recommended cap upgrade and where does it go. Sachu made mine so I'm not overly familiar with the circuit but I'm happy to swap it out. I'm not using the standard case so cap size isn't a consideration. I want it to be as good as it can get within my limited capabilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back