Cavalli Compact Tube Hybrid (CTH) Tube & Tweak thread.
Apr 7, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #46 of 691
interesting offer can the hum be fixed? yea always wanted to hear the Tele ribbed plates I read its like the smooth plates but with more bite. I took your suggestion tried my Mullard long plates and indeed they are really good. On my soha they sounds ordinary but on the CTH its got a nice sparkle and good details.

Apr 8, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #47 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by keyid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
interesting offer can the hum be fixed? yea always wanted to hear the Tele ribbed plates I read its like the smooth plates but with more bite. I took your suggestion tried my Mullard long plates and indeed they are really good. On my soha they sounds ordinary but on the CTH its got a nice sparkle and good details.

You could try some rubber tube rings but that will alter the sound of the tube, I would just recommend getting another, if you bought it from eBay,, explain to the seller and see what happens. I have only been burned once like that on eBay. The Tele Ribbed is less 3 dimentional and hits a bit harder and a slight bit softer in the highs.

I was looking at the equipment in your profile, what is your favorite tube so far and favorite headphone and with that combo what would you want to change about the sound?

Apr 8, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #48 of 691
One tube I have tried that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere (so I am mentioning it here) is the 6211. I have two labeled IBM but made by GE. They are somewhat microphonic, so maybe not the best examples of these. The sound is interesting, with an emphasized middle and very large soundstage. Not my favorites, but worth checking out.

I find that I am gravitating back to the 5963, which is what I like best in the SOHA II thus far as well.

Apr 8, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #49 of 691
I guess my favorite in the current setup is between the siemens e82cc and amprex 7316 (it does changes from music and phones), with hd580/600 and CTH amp. I wire direct from my dac so I tend to use one primary amp at a time.

What I would like is something that sounds like HE90/HEV
biggrin.gif
but realistically more liquid mids, transparent highs, detailed separation, and more soul / prat. A budget stax rig may get me close to HE60/90 but right now im trying to get some RS-1 to get some of the above characteristics and try to bare with the discomfort (had 225's). I may have to change my source but thats probably going to be too costly to bump up from the current setup. Also trying to get some RTF tubes as people say they have some of the above characteristics.

Apr 8, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #50 of 691
oldblueyz - I checked my mullards against the photos you posted and both of mine are the long plates.

Apr 8, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #51 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coreyk78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oldblueyz - I checked my mullards against the photos you posted and both of mine are the long plates.

The long plates are kinda like having your cake and eating it too. Telefunken ECC802S (Huge bucks) and the Mullard CV491 (longplate) both have the ability to bridge the gap between having a nice warm (colored) bass and lots of detail without being rolled off at the top. I have not heard the ECC802S Tele but I can tell it is the "Mullard long plate" for Telefunken and they probably sound better based on the prices. Anyway, the long plate mullard has lots of bass and doesnt sacrifice any detail but it also does one more thing. It will give you mids that are amazing, especially for jazz, country, anything where mids are important or anything with vocals. Its kinda like taking the best qualities from 2 or three tubes and blending them properly. Fortunately the LP mullards are easier to come by as singles but im waiting for the day when someone has a ECC802S and goes to sell it not knowing what it is.

Apr 8, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #52 of 691
FYI, nice to have in one place when looking.
5963=12AU7 Dual Triode
(5963=computer rated 12AU7)

6189=12AU7WA Dual Triode
(ruggedized and inexpensive sub for 12AU7)

5814 / 5814A / 5814WA (12AU7 Substitute)
(the 5814A is equivalent to a 12AU7WA, it is ruggedized and redesigned; the filament current
raised to 175ma per section versus 150ma per section for a 12AU7. 5814A is computer rated, 5814WA is ruggedized)

Apr 8, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #53 of 691
I already have an NOS GE 5963 in my rapidly growing tube inventory, and I just won a pair of Philips JAN 6189W on ebay last night, hehe. I don't have any 5814s yet.

Apr 8, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #54 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coreyk78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I already have an NOS GE 5963 in my rapidly growing tube inventory, and I just won a pair of Philips JAN 6189W on ebay last night, hehe. I don't have any 5814s yet.

Buying tubes is like crack cocaine.

Apr 9, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #57 of 691
I was just thinking, I have a longplate mullard with the "O" getter and I tried it out for the first time today. Its a little hissy, and I have another that isnt. Would anyone be interestered in having it? You cant hear the hiss at regular listening levels. You guys could even pass it around to see if you may want to persue a good one.

Funny, I just got 6 5867 RCA black plates tonight, I have the bronze and they are the best driver tubes I have had yet. Once I get these black plates then I will be selling off some of my 12AU7/ECC82 tubes and I thought I would just let you guys have first dibs. I have so many tubes now that I gave up trying to find the best combo, I just swap them out when I want a change.

Apr 9, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #58 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think someone needs to build olblueyez a CTH

If anyone has one near Wash DC then let me know and we can pop a bunch of tubes in and grade the tubes for eveyone.

eBay has some RCA 5814 and 5963's up for sale now. My hand is shaking.

Apr 9, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #59 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anyone has one near Wash DC then let me know and we can pop a bunch of tubes in and grade the tubes for eveyone.

eBay has some RCA 5814 and 5963's up for sale now. My hand is shaking.

I can send my second one for you to try out when it is ready next week.

Apr 9, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #60 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can send my second one for you to try out when it is ready next week.

That would be cool but all I can grade it with is my 650's. That amp does well with 650's? or no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back