Cavalli Compact Tube Hybrid (CTH) Tube & Tweak thread.
Apr 2, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #16 of 691
I think we have different definitions of cheap when it comes to tubes.
wink_face.gif

Apr 2, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #17 of 691
Ha, ha... Yes. It's funny though, I may spend hrs trying to snag a good deal on something on the bay (e.g. saving $10) before going out to a "cheap" $50 dinner w/the family. One I could probably make for $20 at home
smily_headphones1.gif

The only "expensive" tubes I think I own are Siemens chrome, BB & a PQ. Paid between $10 & $25 for them. And I'm listening to a $3 6BZ7 in my CTH w/S+Os & loving it
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #19 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by tacitapproval /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think we have different definitions of cheap when it comes to tubes.
wink_face.gif

Thats why you could split it up with someone else.

Apr 2, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #20 of 691
Dammit CF, you keep finding those cheap and nice tubes and then it makes me want to get one just to try it out.

I can't justify a $20 tube, but a $5 one.. well thats another story..

Apr 2, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #21 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dammit CF, you keep finding those cheap and nice tubes and then it makes me want to get one just to try it out.

Hey, I've extras.. Maybe some tube trading can go on in another thread or PM or something.
Between the tube, headphone & cap variables will take a while to figure out which ones I like. Right now liking most all of them
smily_headphones1.gif

Very OT, but I'm going out of town for a week or so & wanted to wish those that celebrate Easter a happy one. Here's something that might cheer you up:

Every year I look forward to that house setting up the decorations... I just make sure I head over after a nice windy spell
icon10.gif

Apr 3, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #23 of 691
I have a bunch of 5814As to try out on the amp once I get it back...not to mention a couple more 12BH7s, a 6189, a pair of 6N1P-EVs...

I really need to get myself an Amperex 6DJ8

Apr 3, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #24 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by keyid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sylvania gold pins sound different than non?
I have one non-gold 5814a. These usually go for $10.

Cadillac and Chevrolet, the GB's (and they must have the gold pins, some dont and they are different) were made for high end audio applications. If someone buys them I am in for one of them.

Apr 3, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #25 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlim /img/forum/go_quote.gif

After spending some time with this amp, I have an easier time justifying a $20 tube than a $20 boutique cap. But that's just me...

My favorite tube so far cost me $35 and it's worth every penny in my book.
tongue.gif

Apr 4, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #26 of 691
I just wanted to say something to the people who are trying to roll tubes on the cheap. I started that way and now I have cheap tubes and expensive tubes, (lots of Tubes). Start with the nice ones. As far as I'm concerned, all the good tubes come from Germany, England, and Holland, that is for the 12AU7 variants. Some exceptions are the occasional RCA and the Sylvania GB (Gold Brand) with the gold pins, and yes they must have gold pins. GB's with steel or nickel pins are standard Sylvania's with the Gold Printing (They started passing the cheap ones off as GB when they stopped making the real GB's). So I'm told.
smile.gif

Moral to the story, Its better to have a few pricey tubes than a bunch of cheapo's. With the range of different sounds available with the 12AU7 I think its not unreasonable to say the Tube is 100 percent of the quality and the signature you get out of your amp.

I understand other components affect the sound but when your done building and have started to roll.
wink_face.gif

Apr 4, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #27 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimJo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After spending some time with this amp, I have an easier time justifying a $20 tube than a $20 boutique cap. But that's just me...

My favorite tube so far cost me $35 and it's worth every penny in my book.
tongue.gif

The difference between a 10 dollar tube and a 50 dollar tube is your amp sounding like a 200 dollar amp or a 600 dollar amp. I like to keep my buys less than 40 bucks and some of those are pairs. In that range you should be able to find some really beautiful tubes.

I got one in the mail today that is Fing amazing. Its a Philips branded Siemens made in Germany, 6189/E82CC/12AU7. E82CC not ECC82. Search for "E82CC" on Ebay. It has Clairity like an RCA cleartop but its smooth and refined. Bass is nice, good combo of weight and impact.

Picked it up for 11.50 plus shipping. Just remember, EUROPE.

02942.jpg

I like it so much I'm headed to eBay to put some more on my watch list so I can get another for a spare.
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #28 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by cfcubed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, I've extras.. Maybe some tube trading can go on in another thread or PM or something.

Maybe a 12AU7 & Variant Thread for people to post tubes with monetary values so we can PM each other and do some horse trading?

wink_face.gif

Apr 4, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #29 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got one in the mail today that is Fing amazing. Its a Philips branded Siemens made in Germany, 6189/E82CC/12AU7. E82CC not ECC82. Search for "E82CC" on Ebay. It has Clairity like an RCA cleartop but its smooth and refined. Bass is nice, good combo of weight and impact.

Picked it up for 11.50 plus shipping. Just remember, EUROPE.

02942.jpg

hehe..I was bidding on those myself..the exact same ones..
wink.gif

Looks like prices of thsese are going to rocket with bidding wars on ebay soon

Apr 4, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #30 of 691
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hehe..I was bidding on those myself..the exact same ones..
wink.gif

Looks like prices of these are going to rocket with bidding wars on ebay soon

I never thought of that, you guys should really stick with the cheap'o American tubes!!!!!!! No need wasting money!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back