Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire
Nov 24, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #437 of 2,306
Not sure how much time it will take for the re-wire though. I will be grateful if I could have it before Christmas. Also, time to hunt down some ECC88 / 6922 tubes.

I am not sure they mentioned it on their webiste - how many 6922 tubes are there exactly in the unit? Are they all 6922s but just in different stages? It affects whether I should buy tubes in quad-matched or dual-matched sets.

Nov 24, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #439 of 2,306

Quote:
Not sure how much time it will take for the re-wire though. I will be grateful if I could have it before Christmas. Also, time to hunt down some ECC88 / 6922 tubes.

I am not sure they mentioned it on their webiste - how many 6922 tubes are there exactly in the unit? Are they all 6922s but just in different stages? It affects whether I should buy tubes in quad-matched or dual-matched sets.

Just make sure you buy from a reputed source and that the tubes are properly tested.

I have had some tubes go microphonic on me with my liquid fire, mainly the nationals and a set of valvo E88CC that i got on Ebay. Fortunately i was able to get a refund from the ebay seller.

Once again ONLY run reliable 6922s. 

Nov 24, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #440 of 2,306
Thanks. How much does a quad set of vintage NOS Mullards ECC88 go for these days? I love the Mullard 12AX7s with my Leben.

Nov 24, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #441 of 2,306
Heh even on thanksgiving day, 4 hours away from boarding a flight to SF, here I am listening to my local jazz radio station  with the Liquid Fire ..

Happy thanksgiving to all.

Nov 24, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #442 of 2,306

Quote:
Heh even on thanksgiving day, 4 hours away from boarding a flight to SF, here I am listening to my local jazz radio station  with the Liquid Fire ..

Happy thanksgiving to all.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too. Have a safe flight. What are your inflight portable listening accoutrements? Oh, and welcome to SF. 

Nov 24, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #443 of 2,306
I ordered the LF to be shipped to my office but I already regret it. I don't have any good source gear at office. Just an iPhone 4S, a CLAS, a DB2 and Fostex HPP1. All portable stuff. I also have a Squeezebox Touch but wonder if it is of any good without a DAC. Also need to buy a power cable for the LF. I will use the Burmester PC on it first I guess. 

But really how heavy is it? Is it manageable getting it onto a cab and bringing it back home? I would want to compare it with my Leben head to head on the Esoteric K01.

Now the obvious next step is to get a source for it. I wish I didn't sell my Esoteric D07. The Zodiac Gold probably is a good choice but will need to wait till next year. Can you guys share what DAC or player do you use with the LF?

Nov 24, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #444 of 2,306
Some one put up for sale a Rega Saturn CD Player for around US$800. Is it a good player to match with the LF and LCD3? 

Nov 24, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #445 of 2,306

Quote:

Happy Thanksgiving to you too. Have a safe flight. What are your inflight portable listening accoutrements? Oh, and welcome to SF. 

Thanks. No in flight entertainment. Just a USB design book am reading to brush up for work :)

SF is  going to be awesome..been dying to meet my cuz the last few months.

Nov 24, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #447 of 2,306

Quote:

SF is  going to be awesome..been dying to meet my cuz the last few months.

SF is going to be wet. But I see you're from Portland.
biggrin.gif

se

Nov 24, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #449 of 2,306
Thank you. Sounds transportable to me. Still confused about the tubes. Even if I don't get quad set I guess I should get dual matched sets, otherwise there will be channel imbalance, right? Would also like some mix and match of tubes done, so would be grateful to know how many stages are there are and how many tubes for each stage. Many thanks.

Nov 24, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #450 of 2,306

Quote:
Some one put up for sale a Rega Saturn CD Player for around US$800. Is it a good player to match with the LF and LCD3?

I use the Rega DAC and LF on LCD2's and the sound is great.   The Rega DAC sounds better then a Saturn alone because when I auditioned it we were using the saturn as both a transport and full CD player and I liked the sound from the DAC + Saturn combo,  better then the Saturn alone.

I am using  Cambridge audio 840C as a transport.  The Rega DAC sounds much better then the CA player alone.

I have a PS Audio Perfect Wave trans+DAC combo on the way for my main rig, but of course I plan on listening to them with the LF LCD2 combo also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back