Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire
Nov 24, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #451 of 2,306

Quote:
Thank you. Sounds transportable to me. Still confused about the tubes. Even if I don't get quad set I guess I should get dual matched sets, otherwise there will be channel imbalance, right? Would also like some mix and match of tubes done, so would be grateful to know how many stages are there are and how many tubes for each stage. Many thanks.

It is not like normal tube amps where you typically have stages , but you could extrapolate it loosely to 2. I would not recommend mixing and matching either. if you get 2 matched sets , use the matched sets in the same position for each channel . 

Does anyone read German

Happy Thanksgiving to the folk who celebrate ..dB

Nov 25, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #452 of 2,306

Quote:
Now the obvious next step is to get a source for it. I wish I didn't sell my Esoteric D07. The Zodiac Gold probably is a good choice but will need to wait till next year. Can you guys share what DAC or player do you use with the LF?

With my LF, I've used a Rega DAC, Assemblage DAC 2.7, and I'm running a Berkeley Audio DAC Alpha right now.  Transport is a SB Touch via SPDIF to the BADA.  I should've done this at the last meet, but in January we'll probably temporarily hook up the LF to Josh's Ayon Skylla to see how that pair sounds.  Would love to hear how a Zodiac sounds with the LF.

Nov 25, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #454 of 2,306
Charlie Brown Christmas sounds great on the LF.  This is a really well recorded album w/Piano, upright bass, drums.  Great dynamics, soundstage.  Got it all.  And this is just the regular CD not anything high-res.

Nov 25, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #455 of 2,306

Quote:
That Alpha DAC should sound pretty incredible yes?

I like it a lot.  The only negative I usually give with the BADA is that the leading edge in the treble can sometimes sound a little edgy, which is about the only thing with this DAC that really reminds you that the material is digital.  It's relatively minor, however, and the doesn't change that the overall sound is pretty smooth and articulate.  This is also fed out of the humble SB Touch, which while being "bit perfect" isn't exactly high end as far as its digital out, so that characteristic may improve with a different source.  I haven't yet had the opportunity to try anything else out though.  Hopefully soon.

Nov 26, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #456 of 2,306

Quote:
It doesnt say out of stock at ALO

http://aloaudio.com/cavalli-audio-liquid-fire-headphone-amplifier.html

Well, it says Out of Stock at ALO now. 

The good news is that the LF shows as in stock at http://aphroditecu29.com/Cavalli/Cavalli_Liquid_Fire.aspx at the moment.
It's also being sold by The Cable Company - but the listing there isn't clear on whether they have LFs in stock or not.

Nov 26, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #457 of 2,306

Quote:
Does anyone read German

Yes, I do.   
Is somebody interested in knowing what it says ?

Well, the article has 12 pages, so please allow me to summarize the review with my own words.

First, he describes the (short) history and location of Cavalli Audio including the DIY background. Then, he says how to switch on the amp and describes the very good built quality and the quality of the components used. After that he spends some words about the hybrid-design, the two outputs and the  E88CC (but he says that he is not a tube expert). 
Basically, he gives the impression that the LF is absolute top-class and that it is easy to recognize (hear) it. He ranks his HD53N, V181, V200 - which are very good amps in his opinion - clearly in a lower class ("amateur-league"). The LF is a class of its own ("profi-league"). Based on different CD`s he comes to the conclusion that the LF provides an incredible 3-D imagination, separation of instruments and high resolution. Moreover, the tonality is being described as very fascinating and emotional. He says, the LF can drive all current top - headphones (Sennheiser, Bayerdynamic, HiFiMAN, Ultrasone, AKG, LCD).
In short: It is a 100,00 % positive review.

Two things are missing from my point of view:
1. The source (and cables) used for this review has not been mentioned
2. The LF has a CE - Certification and comes with the "Declaration of Conformity". This is a prerequisite for bringing the product on the EU-Market (at least in compliance with the existing regulations). This is a big advantage for AC compared to others ...

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  

Personally, I have my LF for 2 weeks now and I am using the dCS Puccini (SACD player or internal DAC) and a MacBook Air / PureMusic (with M2Tech HiFace EVO Digital Audio Interface, M2Tech EVO Supply with Li-Ion) as source. Interconnects are from Transparent Audio and power-cords from Harmonix.
I am very happy with the LF (headphones: AKG 702, ATH-W5000, LCD-2). I still love my Singlepower MPX3 Slam, especially with the W5000 for the gorgeous (female) voices and the emotional violins. But finally, the LF wins the contest with ease. It sounds much more natural, more live-alike and less tubey. It comes closer to the original - period ! I have considered also the WA5 and BA but it was not possible to come over to Denver to the meet in order to give them a try. I had the Leben XS for loan - no way for me !!!
Therefore, I made my decision on your recommendations. I thank everybody for putting me in the right direction :wink:  ... (starting with post# 125) ! 

[size=x-small] [/size]

Nov 26, 2011 at 8:10 AM Post #458 of 2,306
^ kensonic: Thank you very much for the English synopsis of the German. I know Dutch speakers but none who can translate German efficiently. Also, I didn't try to even ask them to translate it because none of them understands tube amps (or a good stereo system for that matter). So I tried Google Translate and it was "close but no cigar."  Thanks again--we appreciate it.

Nov 26, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #459 of 2,306
My girlfriend.

EDIT: Is useless in this situation because of what you stated.

Quote:
^ kensonic: Thank you very much for the English synopsis of the German. I know Dutch speakers but none who can translate German efficiently. Also, I didn't try to even ask them to translate it because none of them understands tube amps (or a good stereo system for that matter). So I tried Google Translate and it was "close but no cigar."  Thanks again--we appreciate it.

Nov 26, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #460 of 2,306

Quote:
My girlfriend.

EDIT: Is useless in this situation because of what you stated. "I know Dutch speakers but none who can translate German efficiently."

^ Well what I should have said was that I know Dutch people (and not Dutch speakers--sorry) who are known to speak several languages fluently. So I asked them if they could help (thinking, of course, that perhaps one of them understood German enough to translate the text for me)... but alas, none of them could. That's all.
smile.gif

My friend, Gertjan, speaks Russian, Italian, French, and English (and of course Dutch)--I am always impressed how quickly they can switch from one language to the other.

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #461 of 2,306
My contemplated office rig at the moment:

Rega Saturn with Burmester power cord -> Madison Audio Lab E3 Extreme 1 Interconnect -> Cavalli Liquid Fire, with vintage Mullard NOS tubes and Ortofon Power Cord -> ALO Reference 16 Cable -> LCD3.

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #462 of 2,306
[size=1em](╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻[/size]

[size=1em]That is all.[/size]

Quote:
My contemplated office rig at the moment:

Rega Saturn with Burmester power cord -> Madison Audio Lab E3 Extreme 1 Interconnect -> Cavalli Liquid Fire, with vintage Mullard NOS tubes and Ortofon Power Cord -> ALO Reference 16 Cable -> LCD3.

Nov 26, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #464 of 2,306
I really like my new Norse cable. Trevor gave me a really good deal which I don't think I should disclose here. But having tried the Reference 8 cable I think I should get the Reference 16 - just for comparison's sake. I will write up a full review soon.

Nov 26, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #465 of 2,306
Can you post more impressions on the Norse cable with the LCD-3? I'm deciding between the Norse and Q and both seem highly recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back