Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire
May 6, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #1,456 of 2,306
Quote:
Does anyone have the datasheet for the Matsh.... tubes, we can put this question to rest especially as some of you already own them.

I have not paid much attention to the forums lately - life i guess, but having spent time with many amps , the WA22 included, I was surprised by some of the comments and decisions. Just goes to show though, this is a really subjective hobby and we all have to find what it is that appeals to us in the end, no matter who agrees or disagrees with your opinions.

..dB

EDIT:

I see where the confusion has come in, matsu****a made a 7DJ8 / PC88 tube which was discussed early on in the LF history, this tube is no good for this amp, the 6922 looks like the real deal and based on the info I could find, it should work perfectly as it has standard 6922 specs

Cool, thanks for the clarification. I was fairly certain that the link I posted had tubes that would be acceptable for the LF (but you never know).
smile.gif
As I mentioned, the E88CC/6922 Matsu***as are great for adding bottom end heft should anyone be so inclined.

Quote:
How do you feel about the WA22 vs the LF?

You know how I feel.
wink.gif
Simply put, the LF has really impressed me with all of my 4 full sized headphones that I don't really miss my WA22.

May 6, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #1,457 of 2,306
Yeah I think I've come to that conclusion. I do want tubes, but I think the WA22 money will be better invested in tubes for the speakers...Like some PrimaLuna stuff.

Won't have room for my MMGs or Monos in the new place, but I think I'll still use tubes for whatever bookshelf or floor standers I end up with...

Quote:

Cool, thanks for the clarification. I was fairly certain that the link I posted had tubes that would be acceptable for the LF (but you never know).
smile.gif
As I mentioned, the E88CC/6922 Matsu***as are great for adding bottom end heft should anyone be so inclined.

You know how I feel.
wink.gif
Simply put, the LF has really impressed me with all of my 4 full sized headphones that I don't really miss my WA22.

May 6, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #1,458 of 2,306
Quote:
How do you feel about the WA22 vs the LF?

I thought the WA22 was the epitome of a 50's tube amp. The word audiogeeks would use is "musical" in other words it is coloured but in a very good way , making most of the music you play through it syrupy sweet and relaxed. The bass is a tad incoherent and lacks "speed" giving it that lovely tube bloom at the bottom. Overall a great chill out amp which makes most music sound good as it softens the edges. You own the LF so no need to describe its sound to you :wink: ..dB

May 6, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #1,459 of 2,306
Quote:

smile.gif

My apologies... I did not realize that Matsu****a made both true 6922s and 7DJ8s (close but not identical). Sorry for the mistake... and I just might order a quad.
rolleyes.gif

May 6, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #1,461 of 2,306
While I haven't heard them with the LF, I did find they did add quite a bit more bass with the Lyr. Likely they're quite different with the LF?

May 7, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #1,462 of 2,306
Other than my rare nos Siemens/Halske 6922=E88CC=CCa early 60's, these are the best runners up I have heard.I still have both quad nos sets of these tubes and both sets test well over NOS.
Also note that all these tubes have gold pins, not silver.

From the 60's
Very nice mids and highs, great bass, good sound stage.

From the mid 70's
Great sound stage, very airy, great mids and highs, nice bass.

May 7, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #1,463 of 2,306
So I just picked up a matched quad of Mullard E88CC/CV2492 for my LF. Looking forward to giving them a try. I shall report back after they arrive.
smile.gif

May 7, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #1,464 of 2,306
May 7, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #1,466 of 2,306
Quote:
Those guys have been out of stock for a while.

Indeed. I figure a matched quad would run pretty steep if he came across those.

Anyone tried the Genelex Golden Lions?

May 7, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #1,468 of 2,306
Quote:
Pretty sure MH is running Gold Lions right now...

You sure? He just posted that he got some Mullards.
confused.gif

I've probably missed a beat somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back