Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire
May 3, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #1,426 of 2,306
This might be one of those LCD-2 v LCD-3 things.  We have the same DAC and same reference in the GS-1 but likely different cables.

And my opinion stands, in my home, used side by side, fed using the same cables(RCA/XLR), the LF with GLs just doesn't do it for me.  It'll be going back on the FS forum tomorrow.  Clearly it has passed the test for others, so hopefully it'll find a good home.  The WA22 on the other hand moves on to round 2.

If you're reading this and don't want to risk getting sniped tomorrow... PM me.

May 4, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #1,428 of 2,306
Quote:
Quick question to LF owners...have you tried the Mullard CV2492s with it?

Not quite. I've used CV2493s extensively... and while they're reputed to be very close to CV2492s, close isn't close enough.

I do like my Mullards a lot with my HD800 and D7000.

May 5, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #1,429 of 2,306
Quote:

Not quite. I've used CV2493s extensively... and while they're reputed to be very close to CV2492s, close isn't close enough.

I do like my Mullards a lot with my HD800 and D7000.

Good to know...thanks.

Anyone else?

May 5, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #1,430 of 2,306
Well I've posted my final findings in my upgrade thread and the LF is sold and on route to another Head-Fi member who somehow managed to get an even better deal than I did :wink:

Did the unit transform in shipping from TheWuss to me, who knows.  It worked, was dead quiet and clearly had no visible damage.  If Alex wants to send me another unit he's personally checked over at his expense to re-review it, I'm open to it.  That said, change the packaging.  The amp weighs nothing but the size of the box puts it into another shipping class.  The WA22 weighs a ton, but its packaging is tight so it costs half as much to ship.

Now the Trafomatic steps up to compete and out of the gates its transparency and attack put both the WA22 and LF to shame :D

May 5, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #1,431 of 2,306
Well nothing in a review instils more confidence that extreme superlatives and hyperbole, that's for sure.

May 5, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #1,432 of 2,306
Quote:
Well I've posted my final findings in my upgrade thread and the LF is sold and on route to another Head-Fi member who somehow managed to get an even better deal than I did :wink:

Did the unit transform in shipping from TheWuss to me, who knows.  It worked, was dead quiet and clearly had no visible damage.  If Alex wants to send me another unit he's personally checked over at his expense to re-review it, I'm open to it.  That said, change the packaging.  The amp weighs nothing but the size of the box puts it into another shipping class.  The WA22 weighs a ton, but its packaging is tight so it costs half as much to ship.

Now the Trafomatic steps up to compete and out of the gates its transparency and attack put both the WA22 and LF to shame :D

heh...well clearly you and I have VERY VERY different ears.. THe WA22 is no t in the same class as the LF to MY ears. SO, its always interesting to see how people ears and preferences  skews how good a piece of gear is or isn't in this case. However, this is the way it should be.. YOU figure out what works for you and what doesn't first hand. 

Good on you that you are on your way to finidng that which suits your taste best just as I have with the LF :)

May 5, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #1,433 of 2,306
Let me know how that works out for you - if Alex will ship you a personally-checked amp at his expense because you didn't like the first one, I have a list of amp makers to contact myself for a re-audition :D

As far as the weight, it didn't bother me the least. Less is more. Brevity is wit. Too many LEDs are the real pity. Light weight? I'll take that, no problem.

I hope, for selfish reasons, that the WA22 won't be a keeper either. I got dibs on it.

.  If Alex wants to send me another unit he's personally checked over at his expense to re-review it, I'm open to it.  That said, change the packaging.  The amp weighs nothing but the size of the box puts it into another shipping class.  The WA22 weighs a ton, but its packaging is tight so it costs half as much to ship.

May 5, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #1,434 of 2,306
Hehe it's going to be close and since 'so far' I like the Trafo enough to roll tubes to sway it one way or the other, it might be prolonged.  Helps that its tube options on the high end are $60 for matched pairs :D

May 5, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #1,437 of 2,306
Hi, how does LF sound transform after 200 hour burn-in? The sound is a bit thin (expected) but the bass is lacking. My other headphone amp is Headroom Max and headphones are LCD-2 r2.
HeadroomMax does not resolve details as well as LF but it delivers gut wrenching bass. Did I miss anything?

I shall add that my tracks John Coltrane, A Love Supreme, Count Basie Orchestra, Ray Charles.... They are downloads from HDtracks.

Thanks.

May 5, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #1,438 of 2,306
Quote:
Hi, how does LF sound transform after 200 hour burn-in? The sound is a bit thin (expected) but the bass is lacking. My other headphone amp is Headroom Max and headphones are LCD-2 r2.
HeadroomMax does not resolve details as well as LF but it delivers gut wrenching bass. Did I miss anything?

I shall add that my tracks John Coltrane, A Love Supreme, Count Basie Orchestra, Ray Charles.... They are downloads from HDtracks.

Thanks.

I'm assuming you're using the stoc JJ tubes? Regardless...pretty much all tubes sound "thin" when they're brand new.

May 5, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #1,440 of 2,306
Quote:
Yes, I use JJ as shipped. I understand new tubes sound thin -- I used to have ARC tube power amp and CJ tube pre-amps.
Does tube burn-in improve weight of bass?

Burn in would help. You know what would help more? Better tubes.
tongue.gif

I would recommend these:
http://www.tubemonger.com/Matsu****a_Japan_6922_E88CC_Mullard_Tooling_NOS_p/591.htm

Not to pricey, clean sounding tubes and really good bass heft IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back