Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire
May 7, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #1,471 of 2,306
Quote:

No can do for the time being... I'm currently feeding a WA5 with Sophias... this stuff can get out of hand quickly if one isn't careful.
I don't want to spend more than $200 on a quad.

I don't need the best of the best, as the amp really doesn't need much more to my currently pleased ears. Bus since I have 4 out of 6 tubes for the WA5 taken care of, I figured teh LF might feel unattended if I don't give it something.

So, what's the next recommendation down, before being "done"?

May 7, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #1,473 of 2,306
Quote:
but lacking teleportation he still wouldn't have them in physical possession.

The tubes may not be able to teleport, but I'm told MH can.  Guess that's why he's a hero, akin to the venerable Kurt Wagner.

Does the LF really need a quad?  I figured two matched pairs should work well enough.

Edit: OT, but speaking of Kurt Wagner, anybody have a chance to see Avengers?  It was pretty damn awesome, so definitely go see it if you haven't had a chance yet.  And stay until the first set of credits ends.

May 7, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #1,474 of 2,306
There's a second bonus in the movie after the full credits end as well. :D It was good.

And most places seem to give you a quad when you order 4 tubes + matching. Might as well get a quad if it's the same price.

Quote:

The tubes may not be able to teleport, but I'm told MH can.  Guess that's why he's a hero, akin to the venerable Kurt Wagner.

Does the LF really need a quad?  I figured two matched pairs should work well enough.

Edit: OT, but speaking of Kurt Wagner, anybody have a chance to see Avengers?  It was pretty damn awesome, so definitely go see it if you haven't had a chance yet.  And stay until the first set of credits ends.

May 7, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #1,475 of 2,306
Quote:
Indeed. I figure a matched quad would run pretty steep if he came across those.

Anyone tried the Genelex Golden Lions?

Quote:
Pretty sure MH is running Gold Lions right now...

Quote:
You sure?

He just posted that he got some Mullards.
confused.gif

I've probably missed a beat somewhere.

Morbid Toaster is correct. Currently I'm rocking the Gold Lions in my LF and they were a pretty big step up from the JJ stock tubes. I've had a few years of experience with the Gold Lions now (with older amps: WA2 and Lyr) and thought they competed very well (and bested many) NOS tubes. Very nice clean tubes, with one of the best mids I've heard from an E88CC. Bass is nice and tight and treble is extended but not bright.

Mullards are the E88CC/CV2492s, made in Gt. Britain in the '70s at the famous Mitchum plant. These were my favourite 6922 tube variants in my (now sold) WA2. Rob (Skylab) highly recommended them to me and boy was he right.

Quote:

LoL, not an X-Men, though teleportation would be a really nice way to save on shipping costs.
tongue.gif
They are shipping out today, so I hope to have them next week-ish.

FWIW, I did see The Avengers on Friday and WOW!!! Simply the best superhero movie of all time. I used to collect Iron Man and The Avengers comics in the '70s and '80s and what an absolute joy to watch such a brilliantly made movie that does full service to those comics. My 4 year old son will be inheriting them when he's older...they're likely worth quite a bit now.

May 7, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #1,476 of 2,306
Quote:

Morbid Toaster is correct. Currently I'm rocking the Gold Lions in my LF and they were a pretty big step up from the JJ stock tubes. I've had a few years of experience with the Gold Lions now (with older amps: WA2 and Lyr) and thought they competed very well (and bested many) NOS tubes. Very nice clean tubes, with one of the best mids I've heard from an E88CC. Bass is nice and tight and treble is extended but not bright.

That works for me. Just looking for a good step up, not the last word in elite tube rolling.

Quote:

Indeed. Part of brain is over efficient... 2x2=4. So, I don't mean to say a quad as in matched quads, but moreover two pairs. 
rolleyes.gif

May 7, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #1,477 of 2,306

Quote:

A quad as in 4 tubes. They don't need to be matched; just not overly disparate in measurements.

Quote:

Not anymore. He gave up that ability when he became a mere mortal and had kids. See what having some does to one?

May 7, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #1,478 of 2,306
Quote:

Currently I'm rocking the Gold Lions in my LF and they were a pretty big step up from the JJ stock tubes.

Ok, they had better be 
mad.gif
, I just bought a quartet from thetubestore.com. They wound up being more than I really wanted to pay after their tube matching fee, unscrupulous dollar conversion (why am I paying 3% extra to convert CDN to USD to a Canadian owned and operated shop???!!!), tax and shipping. I hold you accountable if I don't hear the love.
beerchug.gif

(no I'm not really grumpy, but I think I just spent $700+ total on tubes today once you count in the Sophias for the Woo... this is after having told myself not to get into tube rolling. Just one nice set per amp I said...)

May 7, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #1,479 of 2,306
You did this to yourself, buddy.

:wink:

Quote:

Ok, they had better be 
mad.gif
, I just bought a quartet from thetubestore.com. They wound up being more than I really wanted to pay after their tube matching fee, unscrupulous dollar conversion (why am I paying 3% extra to convert CDN to USD to a Canadian owned and operated shop???!!!), tax and shipping. I hold you accountable if I don't hear the love.
beerchug.gif

(no I'm not really grumpy, but I think I just spent $700+ total on tubes today once you count in the Sophias for the Woo... this is after having told myself not to get into tube rolling. Just one nice set per amp I said...)

May 7, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #1,483 of 2,306
Quote:

Ok, they had better be 
mad.gif
beerchug.gif

I think you'll be very impressed IMO. I found the differences (especially after a week's worth of burn-in) more substantial than changing the rectifier tube on my WA22 to a Sophia.
smile.gif

I usually order over the phone to avoid the conversion fees. Give them a call, I"m sure they'll straighten it out.

Quote:

Tubes are a hell of a drug...

Quote:

Classic Dave Chappelle references! One of the funnies shows ever on TV. "I'm Rick James B^%$T$%CH!"

May 7, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #1,484 of 2,306
So I got around to some direct A-B comparisons between my LF (w/ Genalex Gold Lions) vs. my GS-1 (w/DACT attenuator) and here they are.

Music used:
Norah Jones - ....Little Broken Heart (I normally don't use brand new CDs for reference, but I just bought this one and really wanted to listen to it.
tongue.gif
)
Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
Patricia Barber: Cafe Blue, Companion and Modern Cool (HDCD versions)
Jazz at the Pawnshop

Headphones:
LCD-3
W3000ANV

What I heard:
The LF is the better amp. Compared to the WA22, the GS-1 was faster, tighter and more precise with imaging and details. The WA22 was more musical (and dynamic) with wider/deeper imaging. The LF main advantages is that has the same dynamics and is still quite musical, but its just as tight, fast and clean as the GS-1. If it wasn't for the fact that I wanted a SS amp option, I'd likely sell the GS-1.

Just a quick update.

May 7, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #1,485 of 2,306
I'm actually in the middle of my WA22 v GS-1 comparison and have to say that the LF is quite close in sound to the GS-1.  They share a lot of the same traits, and likewise faults.  I expected the GS-1 to just walk all over the WA22 on resolution and transparency but its not been the case... so far.

Night is still young, as is my playlist, but right now I can concede that the LF is a better GS-1 while still sharing its faults.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back