Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire
Mar 14, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #1,081 of 2,306
I'd be afraid to use anyting that I could hear 'rattle' with like Buckshot. Sand will fill every nook and cranny...at least I'd like to think so.

Quote:
Lots of folks use buck shot in their speaker stands to give them weight and absorb vibration. Sand is good but you better make sure it can't leak out anywhere. 

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #1,083 of 2,306
Where are you getting this much buckshot? I'm picturing like...emptying shotgun shells. It would rattle in my vision of this process. I'd honestly like to know though.

EDIT: I suppose I could imagine a box of BBs working the same way.
Quote:
Buck shot doesn't rattle and it's very heavy and made from a lead alloy.   It also absorbs vibration better than sand. 

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #1,084 of 2,306

Quote:
Lots of folks use buck shot in their speaker stands to give them weight and absorb vibration. Sand is good but you better make sure it can't leak out anywhere. 

Is copper-plated buckshot a good substitute for lead alloy?

Mar 14, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #1,086 of 2,306

Quote:
Where are you getting this much buckshot? I'm picturing like...emptying shotgun shells. It would rattle in my vision of this process. I'd honestly like to know though.

EDIT: I suppose I could imagine a box of BBs working the same way.

You can get it a gun shop.  I don't like to go to them but that's where you'll find it.  Many people load their own shells if you can believe that.  I can't but I have a neighbor who does. Some gun shops might not offer it in the more metro areas.  I bon't know about BB's.  It's the lead alloy in the buck shot that creates the weight and dampens.   The stuff can be expensive though and is very heavy.   

Mar 14, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #1,087 of 2,306

Quote:
Is copper-plated buckshot a good substitute for lead alloy?

You should use lead not copper I guess.  It's all about the weight and dampening.  If you have speaker stands that you definitely do not want to be influenced by vibrations then use the buck shot.  But if you just want to add some weight to something then go with sand.  Just make sure it doesn't leak out.

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #1,090 of 2,306
Received an email from Alex Cavalli. Said that in a preliminary examination, he found some damage on one of the front window panes and as such is going to get it replaced before shipping it over. He told me to explain the delay, but honestly, I couldn't be happier. Seeing as I'm in Australia, shipping takes 2 weeks on average, and him scrutinising my amp and catching these quality control errors before it ships is very reassuring to know.
I'd hate it if I got it, fell in love with it's sound and then had to wait 5 weeks for it to go to Texas and back. Good on you Alex. Fantastic communication and customer service :). I wish every audio manufacturer dealer had this attention to detail and professionalism.
tongue.gif

Also, I asked about power supply cables earlier. To all international would-be LF owners, Alex said that he ships with the US power cable, and that if you're thinking of getting a LF outside of the US you'll have to buy your own.

Oh, and to the community: does anyone listen to CIEM's through the Liquid Fire? I'm planning to get some but I'm undecided. I'd definitely prefer ones that aren't overly sensitive or efficient, just so I can have some comfortable headroom in dialing the volume knob. Does anyone have any experience driving CIEM's with the LF? Or is that a bad idea?

Thanks in advance.

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #1,091 of 2,306

Quote:

Oh, and to the community: does anyone listen to CIEM's through the Liquid Fire? I'm planning to get some but I'm undecided. I'd definitely prefer ones that aren't overly sensitive or efficient, just so I can have some comfortable headroom in dialing the volume knob. Does anyone have any experience driving CIEM's with the LF? Or is that a bad idea?

Thanks in advance.

I can test with my Sures tonight (not customs, but IEMs all the same).  I definitely wouldn't plug them in with the volume above 0, or in my ears just to be on the safe side.

I remember Alex posting that IEMs should be ok, but it may depend on the output impedance of your second jack. Hopefully he chimes in to clarify.

EDIT:

Yup, here is the post I remembered, 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/567748/cavalli-audio-liquid-fire/930#post_8130508

Mar 15, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #1,092 of 2,306
Quote:

I can test with my Sures tonight (not customs, but IEMs all the same).  I definitely wouldn't plug them in with the volume above 0, or in my ears just to be on the safe side.

I remember Alex posting that IEMs should be ok, but it may depend on the output impedance of your second jack. Hopefully he chimes in to clarify.

EDIT:

Yup, here is the post I remembered, 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/567748/cavalli-audio-liquid-fire/930#post_8130508

Thanks Obzilla!

What I'm looking for specifically with IEM's is whether or not there's a high noise floor. I did get the optional 50 ohm resistor on one of my output jacks, so hopefully it should be fine... I wonder how much harder things will be to drive when confronted with 50 ohm of impedance?...
confused.gif

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #1,093 of 2,306
Hi,

What is the stock impedance for jack #1 and jack#2?

Is #1 for high-impedance phones and #2 for low-impedance phones?

I've never paid attention to them because I've only used #1 with my DT990 600ohms, HD650, and K701. I just ordered the D7000 (they should be here this weekend) and I am trying to determine which jack would be best. I know my ears should be the sole judge but, technically, it would be good to know.

Thanks!!!

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #1,094 of 2,306

Quote:
Thanks Obzilla!

What I'm looking for specifically with IEM's is whether or not there's a high noise floor. I did get the optional 50 ohm resistor on one of my output jacks, so hopefully it should be fine... I wonder how much harder things will be to drive when confronted with 50 ohm of impedance?...
confused.gif

I went without the resistor, so both mine are the same. I will have different result than you for sure.

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #1,095 of 2,306

Quote:
Hi,

What is the stock impedance for jack #1 and jack#2?

Is #1 for high-impedance phones and #2 for low-impedance phones?

I've never paid attention to them because I've only used #1 with my DT990 600ohms, HD650, and K701. I just ordered the D7000 (they should be here this weekend) and I am trying to determine which jack would be best. I know my ears should be the sole judge but, technically, it would be good to know.

Thanks!!!

As far as I know, my options were to have 0 ohms impedence on both jacks, or add a 50 ohm resistor on one of the jacks. In the end it's either 0 ohm and 0 ohm, or 50 ohm and 0 ohm, AFAIK, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back