Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire
May 14, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #1,592 of 2,306
Quote:
Good news!

I spoke with Mark at Tubemuseum.org and he is willing to put the money for the TFK PCC88's towards a quad of TFK E88CC's instead.
Obviously I will owe the difference as the E88CC's are quite a bit more expensive.
http://www.tubemuseum.org/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TFK%5FE88CC

He is currently awaiting the Telefunken stock to arrive (shouldn't be too long) and will let me know when they are available.

Now that's what I call service....
smily_headphones1.gif

That's great news. My matched E88CC Siemens shipped out today from Tubemuseum as well. Great customer service.

Quote:
After a good session with the LCD, most anything short of an Abrams tank will feel quite feathery.

I actually don't find the LCD-3s that uncomfortable. I actually find them easier on my head than my HE-6s were.

On a slightly different note, my E88CC/CV2492 (1970s) Mullards showed up early today.
biggrin.gif
Very similar to how I remember them in my (now sold) WA2, very nice, clean and transparent tubes with a touch of that classic Mullard "sweetness" and musicality. Both these and the Gold Lions are a good step up from the JJs. Not a brand new amp mind you, but steps in the right direction for sure.

Hopefully by week's end, I'll have my platinum Siemens in house.

May 14, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #1,593 of 2,306
I'm looking forward to your review of the Siemens Platinum's.

It would be interesting to directly compare the Platinum's to the Telefunken's.
I'd imagine they sound quite similar being that they are both made by Siemens.

As for the LCD-3, I don't find them overly uncomfortable either (my old HD650's were worse in some respects IMO).
The 3's are pretty heavy but I've gotten somewhat used to their weight now and the same goes for their clamping pressure.
it's just that the HD800 is far more light weight in comparison and has very little (almost no) clamping pressure.
The ear cups are also significantly more expansive.

I look forward to trying both out on the Liquid Fire.

May 15, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #1,594 of 2,306
Quote:

That's great news. My matched E88CC Siemens shipped out today from Tubemuseum as well. Great customer service.

Hopefully by week's end, I'll have my platinum Siemens in house.

I got my both of my sets of Siemens from them, very happy with the set like the ones you are getting and also my rare set of early 60" Siemens. Both sets are very strong and well matched.

May 15, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #1,596 of 2,306
Quote:
I'm looking forward to your review of the Siemens Platinum's.

It would be interesting to directly compare the Platinum's to the Telefunken's.
I'd imagine they sound quite similar being that they are both made by Siemens.

As for the LCD-3, I don't find them overly uncomfortable either (my old HD650's were worse in some respects IMO).
The 3's are pretty heavy but I've gotten somewhat used to their weight now and the same goes for their clamping pressure.
it's just that the HD800 is far more light weight in comparison and has very little (almost no) clamping pressure.
The ear cups are also significantly more expansive.

I look forward to trying both out on the Liquid Fire.

Right now I can say I slightly prefer my Mullards to the Gold Lions (only slightly again). Hopefully I get my Siemens tubes before the weekend. After I get about 50 hours on them, I'll report back with my findings.
smile.gif

Quote:

I got my both of my sets of Siemens from them, very happy with the set like the ones you are getting and also my rare set of early 60" Siemens. Both sets are very strong and well matched.

Mark from Tube Museum is a great guy to deal with. Shipped out tubes next day and a pleasant chap to talk to.

Quote:
My tubes Gold Lion arrived. Not fully burn in yet but sounds very promising. Seems like it's worth the $ to upgrade. Thanks for recommendations on this site.

Glad you're liking them. I agree they are fantastic tubes. I've really enjoyed them in my WA2, Lyr and now Liquid Fire.
smile.gif

May 15, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #1,597 of 2,306
Saying that I like them is an understatement. It would be insane to buy LF and not switching to these tubes. They improve sound over JJ in almost every aspect, sound has more body, weightier bass, liquid voice, clarity in highs. and even sound stage. Voices of the choirs in Carmina Burana are more distinct, spreaded out. I might buy another set as a spare :). Never know if they go out of business or the quality degrades.

Glad you're liking them. I agree they are fantastic tubes. I've really enjoyed them in my WA2, Lyr and now Liquid Fire.
smile.gif

May 16, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #1,598 of 2,306
wow.  maybe i got a bum set of gold lions from the tube depot. 
wink.gif

i thought the changes were subtle between stock jj and gold lions.
and i don't believe i have bad hearing or anything. 
redface.gif

May 16, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #1,599 of 2,306
Quote:
wow.  maybe i got a bum set of gold lions from the tube depot. 
wink.gif

i thought the changes were subtle between stock jj and gold lions.
and i don't believe i have bad hearing or anything. 
redface.gif

^ This.

The change is subtle. For the better but subtle. I think we all tend to fall into hyperbole land from time to time when we are happy or something is new.

If you like the LF sound, it's a reasonable improvement for $200. That's 6% ish of the cost of the amp, and it roughly approximates the sound improvement.
When I get home tonight I will be at that 'magic 50 hour mark'. I expect it to sound exactly the same.
smile.gif

May 16, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #1,600 of 2,306
I'm listening to Eno's "Small Craft on a Milk Sea".  Download is 24/44.  The bass workout on this is killer.  If I had LC3's my teeth would probably be rattling.  Dynamics and soundstage for this ambient recording are all there.  Really cool.

May 16, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #1,601 of 2,306
This has become one of my go-to albums for bass testing. I have the same high-rez download, and the vinyl sounds even better if you can find it.

Quote:
I'm listening to Eno's "Small Craft on a Milk Sea".  Download is 24/44.  The bass workout on this is killer.  If I had LC3's my teeth would probably be rattling.  Dynamics and soundstage for this ambient recording are all there.  Really cool.

May 16, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #1,602 of 2,306
Quote:
^ This.

The change is subtle. For the better but subtle. I think we all tend to fall into hyperbole land from time to time when we are happy or something is new.

If you like the LF sound, it's a reasonable improvement for $200. That's 6% ish of the cost of the amp, and it roughly approximates the sound improvement.
When I get home tonight I will be at that 'magic 50 hour mark'. I expect it to sound exactly the same.
smile.gif

May be exuberance. May be QA-control of JJ or Golden Lion tubes. May be different set up. May be personal taste but it ain't subtle for me.

May 16, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #1,603 of 2,306
Quote:
May be exuberance. May be QA-control of JJ or Golden Lion tubes. May be different set up. May be personal taste but it ain't subtle for me.

How long ago did you get your LF?

May 16, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #1,605 of 2,306
Quote:
Are we going to waste time on this. You think it's trivial. I don't think it's trivial. I think it's time to end of this type of discussion which zero value.

I didn't say that. I clearly said it's a valuable upgrade. I'm just curious for how long you have had your amp.

Sand in your pants or what? If you can't behave, you can't sit at the grownups table. It's just a question, not an attack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back