Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire
May 13, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #1,576 of 2,306
Nonsense. Buy a new piece of gear to put them in.

Quote:
Well that's a disappointment then.

Guess I'll have to sell them once I get them
cool.gif

May 13, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #1,577 of 2,306
Lol. that's one way to think about it!

I guess what sold me on them was this line from Tubemuseum.org...

"Works perfect in each & every 6DJ8/6922 preamp circuit we've tested & seen."

Thetubestore.com also has this to say:

"The PCC88 tube is also known as a 7DJ8 tube. This tube is very similar to the ECC88, 6DJ8, and E88CC tube type except that it can use a heater voltage of 7V. Many audiophiles report excellent performance in 6DJ8 and 6922 tube circuits with no modifications required."

May 13, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #1,578 of 2,306
Quote:
Lol. that's one way to think about it!

I guess what sold me on them was this line from Thetubemuseum.com...

"Works perfect in each & every 6DJ8/6922 preamp circuit we've tested & seen."

Thetubestore.com also has this to say:

"The PCC88 tube is also known as a 7DJ8 tube. This tube is very similar to the ECC88, 6DJ8, and E88CC tube type except that it can use a heater voltage of 7V. Many audiophiles report excellent performance in 6DJ8 and 6922 tube circuits with no modifications required."

Typically you can interchange E88CC and ECC88s (like in the Schiit Lyr), but according to Alex (and he would know), not in the LF. I picked up a quad of platinum E88CC Siemens tubes from The Tube Museum and was very careful to make sure they were E88CC (not the other tubes). Sorry.

May 13, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #1,579 of 2,306
Heh , didn't mean to stir a pot and then disappear. :) 

I should have qualified that I was not negating anyone's personal experience , just that this had been mine. BUT I do not use JJ's in my amp , so go figure. 

Re the PC88 tubes - these are not direct subs for the 6922. In many amps they would probably work without a concern but the way that the LF sets up the tubes requires very specific specs and the PC88 tubes do not meet these requirements based on the datasheets. 

..dB

May 14, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #1,580 of 2,306
Good news!

I spoke with Mark at Tubemuseum.org and he is willing to put the money for the TFK PCC88's towards a quad of TFK E88CC's instead.
Obviously I will owe the difference as the E88CC's are quite a bit more expensive.
http://www.tubemuseum.org/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TFK%5FE88CC

He is currently awaiting the Telefunken stock to arrive (shouldn't be too long) and will let me know when they are available.

Now that's what I call service....
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #1,581 of 2,306
Glad you didn't wind up burning cash on incompatible tubes! Nice save.

May 14, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #1,582 of 2,306
Tell me about it!

It's pretty much a win win for the both of us anyway.
(I get the proper tubes and he get's more money out of me)
biggrin.gif

Granted Mark didn't have to do it, so it does show what a fair guy he is.

May 14, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #1,584 of 2,306
Quote:
Heh , didn't mean to stir a pot and then disappear. :) 

I should have qualified that I was not negating anyone's personal experience , just that this had been mine. BUT I do not use JJ's in my amp , so go figure. 

..dB

LOL.  My experience is probably similar.  For me, I did hear noticeable changes when I tube-rolled, but it wasn't what I would say is night and day or anything.  Course I had just come from the Stacker 2, which is a completely different beast as far as listening to the tubes goes.  So for me, yes there is a change, but most of the character of the amp (unsurprisingly, given the design) remains very similar.  And I also do not use the stock JJ's.  :)

May 14, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #1,586 of 2,306
WOOT!

And my day just keeps getting better....

Turns out ALO forgot to email me the tracking information when they shipped the LF to me last Monday.

As of right now it's being processed by Canada Customs out at the airport.
So I expect to have it before the week is out!

I just wonder how much Customs is going to ding me? 
eek.gif

May 14, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #1,587 of 2,306
Quote:
I just wonder how much Customs is going to ding me? 
eek.gif

12% of the declared value. If you're not there to pay it when they attempt delivery, they'll hold it for you at your local shoppers until you come in to pick it up and pay for it... if it went via Canada Post / USPS. Not sure what FedEx and UPS do when you're not there, and they often time charge more than that 12%.

Good luck.

May 14, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #1,588 of 2,306
Quote:

12% of the declared value. If you're not there to pay it when they attempt delivery, they'll hold it for you at your local shoppers until you come in to pick it up and pay for it... if it went via Canada Post / USPS. Not sure what FedEx and UPS do when you're not there, and they often time charge more than that 12%.

Good luck.

I was smart and had it shipped USPS as I knew FedEx and UPS would charge me through the ringer in duties!
It may take a little longer to arrive, but at least I should save a bit in the long run.

I also had the package shipped to my work place, that way I will almost certainly be there to sign for it when it arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back