Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Mar 26, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #706 of 2,727
I'm running the Aeon Closed and Cascade as my two contrasting pairs of over-ears at the moment to cover all my sonic requirements - Elear and Nighthawk don't get a look in any more.

Just discovering the Cascade through the SXC balanced cable - not a night and day difference, but think it adds a little something.
Precisely why the Cascade is next up for me. The AFC is a fabulous all-rounder, and I think the Cascade will be awesome for electronic and modern genres. It was a tough choice to pass on the TH900, I feel it does everything better than the other 2, except it's just a little too v-shaped, and the treble level is a tad too much. But who knows, I may change my mind again . Who knows, I may get all 3, but I'd have to sell off all my budget and mid-fi cans so it makes it less obscene. This hobby is a killer, and never ending.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 6:07 AM Post #707 of 2,727
Great impressions.

I got out the Z7 again, for which I have the Kimber cable. The Cascade is not far off a more refined Z7 for me. I have tape-modded the Z7s, which almost fixes everything but the wacky treble tuning and brings them closer to the Cascade. I think the Z7's imaging is a bit better and the Cascade can get a bit more crowded when it comes to soundstage, especially with the volume turned up a bit.

Given that most negatives tend to come out later, rather than sooner, I'm going to mention one now: Around the upper mids (maybe lower treble) there sometimes can be a touch of harshness, either sibilance in tracks being a bit aggressive or instruments having a bit more bite than they should. It's more noticeable out of the Hugo 2 and less so out of the other amps I have here which are more mellow in that area.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #708 of 2,727
Please share your results with the headband and wrap mod. The sound of the Cascade is just about perfect for my portable needs so if the hotspot issue is fixed then the form factor would also be perfect.
The items should arrive Wednesday and I’ll provide an update Thursday.

Mar 26, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #709 of 2,727
Great impressions.

I got out the Z7 again, for which I have the Kimber cable. The Cascade is not far off a more refined Z7 for me. I have tape-modded the Z7s, which almost fixes everything but the wacky treble tuning and brings them closer to the Cascade. I think the Z7's imaging is a bit better and the Cascade can get a bit more crowded when it comes to soundstage, especially with the volume turned up a bit.

Given that most negatives tend to come out later, rather than sooner, I'm going to mention one now: Around the upper mids (maybe lower treble) there sometimes can be a touch of harshness, either sibilance in tracks being a bit aggressive or instruments having a bit more bite than they should. It's more noticeable out of the Hugo 2 and less so out of the other amps I have here which are more mellow in that area.
Thanks for taking the time and compare to the Z7. My Z7 is not modded, but I am OK with its highs (and absolutely love the lows)... Will have to spend more time with it - if nothing is wrong with it, I might just stay with it :wink:

Mar 26, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #710 of 2,727
20180326_161611983_iOS.jpg

Got my custom short balance cable in the mail today, now I'm ready for travelling with the Cascade, which I'll take with me next month with only the ZX300 only and see how it goes.
Also went past the local audio shop and thanks to @Anaz 's hints saw that they have some replacement headbands including the HD600 one for cheap and thought WTH I can spare a couple of bucks for an experiment - while they are currently only held in place with some velcro the extra padding already helped a lot, not only reduced the hotspot I'm also getting a tighter fit overall. Ordered a headband cover on Amazon instantly and once that comes in the mail the comfort problem should be solved hopefully. Currently I think comfort is just slightly below the Clear for me but that's already a huge improvement, should be able to wear these now for at least the entire duration of a movie.

EDIT: Sound wise, maybe my brain is adjusting to the sound as well the bass seems to have tightened a fair bit, it's still full of impact and fun, but seems to have taken half a step back and gotten a bit more polite. I'm currently on the 2T damper.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #711 of 2,727

Got my custom short balance cable in the mail today, now I'm ready for travelling with the Cascade, which I'll take with me next month with only the ZX300 only and see how it goes.
Also went past the local audio shop and thanks to @Anaz 's hints saw that they have some replacement headbands including the HD600 one for cheap and thought WTH I can spare a couple of bucks for an experiment - while they are currently only held in place with some velcro the extra padding already helped a lot, not only reduced the hotspot I'm also getting a tighter fit overall. Ordered a headband cover on Amazon instantly and once that comes in the mail the comfort problem should be solved hopefully. Currently I think comfort is just slightly below the Clear for me but that's already a huge improvement, should be able to wear these now for at least the entire duration of a movie.

EDIT: Sound wise, maybe my brain is adjusting to the sound as well the bass seems to have tightened a fair bit, it's still full of impact and fun, but seems to have taken half a step back and gotten a bit more polite. I'm currently on the 2T damper.

Balanced cable w/ 4.4 plug? If so, if you dont mind sharing, well ... share please. (photo and source) I know lqi is doing pentaconn, but I’d like to find something more in the periaptcables price range. They don’t afaik, at least not yet.

Edit: just noticed the wm1z. Whoa. You probably don’t think twice about cables that cost more than the headphones I look at lol.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #712 of 2,727
Balanced cable w/ 4.4 plug? If so, if you dont mind sharing, well ... share please. (photo and source) I know lqi is doing pentaconn, but I’d like to find something more in the periaptcables price range. They don’t afaik, at least not yet.

Edit: just noticed the wm1z. Whoa. You probably don’t think twice about cables that cost more than the headphones I look at lol.
I'm also curious about the cable @nanaholic posted. I'm using ALO SXC 8 terminated with 4.4mm plug on WM1Z.

Mar 27, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #713 of 2,727
I ordered the cable from Oidio Sound from UK. Their cables are very reasonably priced, as I don't believe in spending big bucks on cables.

Mar 27, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #715 of 2,727
I currently have the V-Moda M100s and I absolutely love the sound signature. I primarily listen to hip hop, so I feel that the M100 sound signature is perfect for me.

I’ve owned them for a few years now and am looking for an upgrade that sounds similar and does well with the genre of music that I listen to. Would the Cascades be a good upgrade for me? Also, does it matter that my only source of music is my iPhone X? I just want to make sure that I’m getting a substantial upgrade (considering my music taste and source device) for the money. Thank you.

Mar 28, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #716 of 2,727
What are you going to connect to the Cascade's with from your iPhone X?

Mar 28, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #719 of 2,727
I'm really liking the look of these but being in the UK it means I can't really try them first and would be ordering from the US.
I'm also considering the B&W P9 (hopefully will get to try soon) as I need portable headphones (not for on the move but using in different locations so folding up is useful) and also they need to be closed (a bit of leakage is ok).
I currently have some wired Momentum 2.0 over ears and really like the sound profile but just find the actual sound quality to be a bit lacking. I used to have B&W P7 wireless (used wired) and found the sound quality to be excellent but didn't get on with the sound profile as I found the vocals to be too distant and a bit weak sounding.

If anyone has experience with the above headphones and could offer opinions on the Cascade and P9 compared to the momentum and P7w I would greatly appreciate it!

Ps: would be using with a Mojo

Mar 28, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #720 of 2,727
I'm really liking the look of these but being in the UK it means I can't really try them first and would be ordering from the US.
I'm also considering the B&W P9 (hopefully will get to try soon) as I need portable headphones (not for on the move but using in different locations so folding up is useful) and also they need to be closed (a bit of leakage is ok).
I currently have some wired Momentum 2.0 over ears and really like the sound profile but just find the actual sound quality to be a bit lacking. I used to have B&W P7 wireless (used wired) and found the sound quality to be excellent but didn't get on with the sound profile as I found the vocals to be too distant and a bit weak sounding.

If anyone has experience with the above headphones and could offer opinions on the Cascade and P9 compared to the momentum and P7w I would greatly appreciate it!

Ps: would be using with a Mojo

I’ve ordered them from https://www.earsunlimited.com/ with free shipping. Even though I’m Dutch, I’m located in the UK.

Also, if you’re close to Nottingham you’re welcome to try them!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back