Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Mar 28, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #721 of 2,728
I’ve ordered them from earsunlimited.nl with free shipping. Even though I’m Dutch, I’m located in the UK.

Also, if you’re close to Nottingham you’re welcome to try them!

Thanks for that link, buying from there works out a fair bit cheaper too!
I'm a bit far away I'm afraid but thanks for the kind offer. Have you by any chance ever tried the P9 or Momentum to compare to?

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #724 of 2,728
How long is the cable that comes with the Cascades? I've apparently bit the bullet on these, and I am trying to determine if need a longer cable then the stock one. I tend to like 6ft - 8ft long for home listening, and perhaps half that for DAP/portable listening.

Mar 28, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #725 of 2,728
How long is the cable that comes with the Cascades? I've apparently bit the bullet on these, and I am trying to determine if need a longer cable then the stock one. I tend to like 6ft - 8ft long for home listening, and perhaps half that for DAP/portable listening.

The included cable will be fine for portable, it is about 3-3.5’. For home you will want a longer one. Sorry I can’t measure directly, I just sent the tour model on to the first person. I thoroughly enjoyed my extended time, and may yet fall for th dreaded bank account draining...

Mar 28, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #726 of 2,728
The included cable will be fine for portable, it is about 3-3.5’. For home you will want a longer one. Sorry I can’t measure directly, I just sent the tour model on to the first person. I thoroughly enjoyed my extended time, and may yet fall for th dreaded bank account draining...
Thanks! Do any other headphones use the same connector besides the HD800?

Mar 28, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #727 of 2,728
Mar 28, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #728 of 2,728
Really tempted by this headphone, but I have a general question or concern regarding beryllium drivers: is there any health issue or potential hazard with the usage of those? There was some debate over the Focal Utopia on the safety (this one being beryllium coated may be different). I would guess for gentle usage there would unlikely be any issues but it is worrisome knowing the driver is highly toxic and may emit the toxic dust when cracked.

Mar 28, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #729 of 2,728
Really tempted by this headphone, but I have a general question or concern regarding beryllium drivers: is there any health issue or potential hazard with the usage of those? There was some debate over the Focal Utopia on the safety (this one being beryllium coated may be different). I would guess for gentle usage there would unlikely be any issues but it is worrisome knowing the driver is highly toxic and may emit the toxic dust when cracked.
In my understanding, beryllium is toxic only during the processing process. It has been used for many speaker systems, and so far there is no health concern.
That being said, I understand that it's not an easy feeling that potential toxic material is so close to your body. What happens if the house gets fire or other hazardous condition?
Anyway, I'm enjoying the sound it produces...

Mar 28, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #730 of 2,728

PVD Beryllium is reported to be more brittle than rolled foil Beryllium (Utopia) so it should be noted for health reasons when discarding the headphone, or when damage occurs.

Mar 28, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #731 of 2,728
Thanks! Do any other headphones use the same connector besides the HD800?
Ultrasone Edition 8 Ex, Jubilee 25, and Edition 15 use the same connector. I'm using ALO SXC 8 balanced cable for both Cascade and Edition 15.

Mar 28, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #732 of 2,728
@nanaholic the headband cushion and wrap arrived and the final outcome turned out great!

Velcro cable ties to hold the headband cushion in place...I ran out of black :-/
CA Cascade - 1.jpg

CA Cascade - 2.jpg

I used a knit headband wrap for a bohemian look...
CA Cascade - 5.jpg

CA Cascade - 4.jpg

CA Cascade - 6.jpg

Attachments

• CA Cascade - 3.jpg
    CA Cascade - 3.jpg
    1,008.2 KB · Views: 0
Mar 29, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #733 of 2,728
Hi this is a google translated from Japanese review i found on the Campfire facebook page, it might be worth it if someone who speaks Japanese can do a better translation as i think some things might be lost in translation??? February 02, 2018
Campfire Audio headphones, CASCADE review
The sound of Campfire Audio has become a headphone. The headphones of Campfire Audio, which was rumored at last, appears. Its name is CASCADE (Cascade). Briefly, it is a closed-type portable headphone with top quality sound quality. I had the demonstration machine lent, so I will use the review I tried. I am surprised at CASCADE, but I think that it can be said that it is a shock since portable edition 8 for the portable headphone world. This article is based on overseas information, the page of CASCADE of Campfire Audio is as follows. Overseas price is US $ 799. https://campfireaudio.com/shop/cascade/

* Features and features

1. It

is a dynamic type closed type headphone as a form which is designed with portable in mind . It is also possible to bend and fold the arms, and the flexibility of the range of movement of the ear cup is high. It will fit easily to your ear and it will make it easier to combine sense of fit and sound insulation. The vibration version uses Beryllium diaphragm as Campfire Audio. The exterior is CNC machined with die-cast aluminum. The size adjustment slider is stainless steel. The head band is PU leather, the ear pad uses lambskin leather. Cable is short portable length (about 1.2 m?), 3.5 mm terminal. 2. Re-cable is possible, HD800 plug is adopted Re-cable is possible, plug is portable, it is pretty sturdy HD800 plug is used. The HD800 plug seems to be the most reliable as seen by Ken so far. It is also a design-like feature, but the robustness of the plug is also called Campfire or ALO's Ken-san. Campfire Audio also adopted a fairly perfect plug on MMCX, did not he? There are also ALOs that the exchange cable for HD 800 is out. By changing these, you will be able to support balanced driving with the long cable of HD 800 at home. Of course, it seems that a short cable to be used outside is also ALO and a terminal for balance driving (including 2.5 mm / 4.4 mm) is also available separately. * Edition 8 LEMO and HD800 plug of EX seems to be somewhat different, so it is necessary to be careful 3. You can change sound quality with damper replacement

Also, the characteristic is that you can change the sound quality by opening the earpad and pasting a damper (thin seal). The ear pad can be easily removed with a magnet. When you open the earpad, there is a hole above and below, you can boost the bass by sticking a damper there. The lower damper should be attached from the beginning.

* Feeling · Impre

The box is like a big box of Campfire Audio. Again the large case of Campfire Audio comes with it. One of the good things about CASCADE is that the fitting feeling is good and the sound insulation is high. In this regard, I think that it is at the top of the headphones up to now. The degree of freedom of the ear cup is high, and the fitting feeling is also good in close contact. The lateral pressure is not moderate and light, nor is it strong enough that the ear hurts. If the size of the headband is adequate and Japanese, I think that even a person with a big head will get enough (I demonstrate). Since the weight of the headphones themselves is not that much, I think that the fitting feeling is good. Indeed, Ken seems to have been delayed by one year while developing the headband by about 3 times while developing it. Even if you hear the announcement of the station and the background noise of the train, it is quite high, and it seems to insulate as much as an excellent universal canal type without saying custom. Even if music is played back to a larger extent, it is about saying whether to hear a little by putting my ears close in a quiet room. Besides being troublesome around troublesome, it is advantageous that the noise is quite low even on a train, so it is easy to hear fine sounds. It is a headphone with high resolving power, so it is advantageous to be able to secure SN with sound insulation. I think that the appearance is a characteristic plug, the plug is portable and it is not the first time for such a plug to fold. I feel the enormity of Ken's attention. However, it is necessary to take the plug when folding. Although the plug is sticky, it is not hard and can be removed lightly. You can also turn the neck and be flat. It might be better if it is a big flat bag. In this case, it seems that it is OK to keep the plug on, but because it rubs the plug and the housing, it is better to remove the plug as well.

* Sound Quality

But CASCADE's greatest strength is still high quality of sound. It is not about a degree that it is portable in terms of quality, but the level of sound quality is not so bad as compared with the high end class headphones used at home. Of course there is a difference between close and open, I think that the sound quality already exceeds the resolution and the stereoscopic effect, etc., except for the sound field and flatness than the original HD 800. Close uniqueness feeling · force is also a good place for CASCADE.

The sound is also unique, like a unique sound when you heard Campfire Lyra for the first time. Ken says he is imagining a sound like VEGA. Certainly the transparency is high, and if you are using SP1000SS etc., you will shudder at the outstanding resolution.
It may be this feeling when there is BA in the headphones, or it seems to be said that it can be said that headphones can be said to be close to a hybrid of low band dynamic and middle to high electrostatic type.
In the earphones as well, it is a well-formed hybrid, which is rich in the amount of information in the mid-to-high range and combines sharpness and deep weight power of low range.

It is dynamic and full of lively dynamism, you can listen well. Plenty of low-barks are out there and the power is also one piece. It seems to be a closed type, but the depth of sound is felt, but since the resolution is very high, the sound can be heard well and can be heard.
Because it is a system that you enjoy music rather than a monitor, you will want to raise the volume loudly and soak in the power. I think that the width of the sound field in the horizontal direction is a good one if it is closed, but I think the stereoscopic feeling in the depth direction is close to the top class even in headphones. Because the reproducibility of the instrument position is high, it is a feel that spreads in three dimensions.

Even though it is not aged, the sound is pretty good, but as the aging progresses, the high frequency range grows and the transparent feeling comes out. It is somewhat rough unless aging, this is a feeling that it is good with this, the transparency comes out as aging progresses, the sound becomes clear, it becomes a more smooth and well-tuned sound as a whole. When aging, the mid-high range extends, the female vocal in the middle range is a single one, and the sound of the high-frequency bell is also beautiful.
Because it differs greatly in the first 10 to 20 hours, it is recommended that those who like female vocals begin to listen after plenty of aging and those who love rocks start listening without aging.

I think that the diaphragm is light, but it is crispy, there is a feeling of speed, and the rhythm tone is good. It is felt that the rising and falling of the sound is high in transient, the edges of the sound are quite standing, clear, crisp and clear. I feel a high sense of clarity. You can listen to the pronunciation of vocals well and the pronunciation is clear. I would like this to listen with good recording on a resolution type monster like SP1000. With SP1000 you can feel the fearful reproduction of the sound. It is a delicate sound that you can listen to with a high end custom earphone without having heard up to now with portable headphones. It is the sense that it comes to the sound pressure unique to headphones and attacks it. Efficiency is somewhat low, but enough to ring with DAP. With SP1000, normal sound recording can take volume at around 120. If you have an amplifier with excellent driving power like iQube V5 you can feel the weight of the sound. You can also enjoy the wide range feeling up to the middle high range which stretches like penetrating from the bass with weight. It is sharp and tight and tight all over the region.

Compared with high-end class open headphones (not portable), even if the size of the sound is handed over, it will not yield with resolution or sound reproduction. Depending on the manufacturer, I think that it is a good level to say the same as flagship.

When actually comparing the HD800 and the cable and comparing it with the stationary headphone amplifier GEEK PULSE, the aggressive character of CASCADE seems to depend on the cable, so when you try recoding the standard cable of HD 800 to CASCADE, the CASCADE is better It will be calm and objective sound. This is also quite attractive sound, classics etc. may be better here. But the base is strong and powerful is the personality of CASCADE. I think that the clearness and resolving power of the cable itself are almost the same or ALO is about a little better (although the standard cable of the HD 800 is quite good as well). Just from the point of personality I think that the standard cable of HD 800 is good for HD 800.
Next, when comparing the sound quality with CASCADE with the same cable by attaching the CASCADE cable to the HD 800, there is a big difference in terms of efficiency (HD 800 is considerably low), the difference between the open type and the closed type, the frequency characteristic It is difficult to compare because the difference in individuality is strong with flatness etc, but I think that it does not change so much like the sound quality level.
As far as DJ type or sealed portable type is mentioned, only sound quality is from the beginner model to the popular model, so CASCADE with sound quality about flagship is worth noticing.

By the way, since the length of the standard cable of the stationary headphone is 3 meters because it is the length when listening at the listening position by connecting to the CD player etc. of the speaker audio, if you connect the DAC after placing the DAC on the desktop as it is now But I think that even 1.5 m is enough.

* About damper

There are two places to put the damper on the left and right. One place is pasted from the beginning, this is basically used as it is, if you put a damper further on the vacant hole above, you can boost the bass.
It is feeling good to be able to add bass sound acoustically instead of electrical. Since the effect is not so intense, I think it is good to use it for subtle tuning.

* Summary

To put it briefly, this is what I wanted for about ten years. Freshly entering this headphone world, I liked the HD 25, and there is also a feeling that the feeling at the time when I was re-cableing was revived until I made overseas mail order.
What I was using when I started this blog is earphone ER 4, E 5, and headphones HD 25. Earphones have made long-term progress and have used countless models. But portable headphones have Edition 8 and T5p, but the feeling that I liked the HD 25 I felt at first was not so much renovated. I think that it was this CASCADE that I wanted to re-encode to HD 25 and get it to HD 25 - 13 and realize it. I wanted this until now. Earphone is a fierce battlefield, but portable headphones do not have much rival. What sound quality can be a competitor would be Edition 8 series or T5p. For users other than Campfire who wish to experience resolution similar to high end earphone with headphones please try. The name CASCADE means Cascade Range (Cascade Range) and Cascade Falls (Multistage Waterfall) near Oregon with Campfire Audio. Until now Campfire Audio earphones have taken the names of the stars of the universe, but headphones seem to use the name of the earth 's natural name. This is also a campfire-like name. I can sense the enthusiasm for a new field from here as well.

Ken also said that Campfire Audio was aware of the Japanese market that developed portable (closed and compact) with the first headphones. In addition, tuning of the sound is also conscious of the Japanese market. It takes 3 years to develop.

With earphones, this power and sound weight and sound pressure can not be obtained, so the sound of CASCADE will be slightly habit. Getting used to the excellent earphones makes it hard for you to bring out headphones, but CASCADE would like to take it out by pushing it. I feel drunk with the sound and I do not want to remove it much.
It is CASCADE which has high sound insulation, high resolution resolution, folding, hand reached price, blow sensation of drums and percussion, attack, impact is heavy and sharp and deep, which can not be obtained with earphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back