Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Mar 22, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #692 of 2,728
The other thing, the Cascade has a much cleaner treble than the Z7. You can fix it to a degree with the tape mod, but the weird tuning Sony has given their latest flagships has possibly contributed to the problem somewhat.

Mar 22, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #693 of 2,728
How about comfort? I find the Z7 extremely comfy. Cascade - not as much... or am I wrong?!

You're not alone. A few pages back, myself and someone else were commenting on how narrow the earcups are, and the tight clamp.

Mar 22, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #694 of 2,728
I remember trying the Cascade at CanJam and was surprised at how small and compact it was. I have an average sized head and ears and they still felt too cramped for me. The Z7 is definitely more comfortable but the Cascade from what I recall has better sound. The Z7 bass is just a little too fuzzy.

Mar 23, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #695 of 2,728
You're not alone. A few pages back, myself and someone else were commenting on how narrow the earcups are, and the tight clamp.

I remember trying the Cascade at CanJam and was surprised at how small and compact it was. I have an average sized head and ears and they still felt too cramped for me. The Z7 is definitely more comfortable but the Cascade from what I recall has better sound. The Z7 bass is just a little too fuzzy.
Yeah - that is my fear, which prevents me from ordering the Cascades....

Mar 23, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #697 of 2,728
I'm super neurotic about comfort; if the cans are uncomfortable, it's a deal breaker for me. Yet I don't mind the Cascade too much. I think that's based on 2 qualities: 1) the earcups can be swiveled/manipulated to accommodate the curvature of your head & ears, and 2) the pads are deep. Among the over-ear headphones that I've found impossibly uncomfortable are: Any Focal headphone outside of the Elear/Utopia design, any Bowers & Wilkins "P" model, and the Sennheiser Momentum Series. The fact that I can tolerate the Cascade pretty well (which essentially means I can reach a point in the listening experience where I forget I'm wearing them) is pretty telling. Of course, if you're comparing the Cascade to something like the Z7s they'll come up short in the comfort department.

Mar 23, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #698 of 2,728
I have to say, I've got a head roughly the same size as a small cow (or possibly a baby elephant), and while the Cascade fit snugly, I'm not finding them unconfirmed for long listening sessions.

Sure, compared to the AQ Nighthawk/Nightowl or Aeon Closed, they feel a little more sturdy and less comfortable, but I find them perfectly comfortable for daily use.

Just have to get some time in through the SXC8 cable I got with them and the ZX300 I've just had delivered and should be almost there with the review I'm working on - I can genuinely say it's taken longer than I thought because I keep listening to whole albums in one sitting rather than my review playlist. Sometimes you just have to stop and listen, and appreciate the music. These are VERY good for that. :wink:

Mar 23, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #699 of 2,728
I'm finding the opposite - there's a slight hot spot on the top of my head for the Cascade, and I'm finding it less comfortable than my Focal Clear. I'm finding if I put more pressure on the ear cups then it would relieve the pressure on top, so I'm also trying to bend the headband a little to facilitate that placement.

Both headphones gave me a new found appreciation of how damn comfortable the Z1R is though....the weight distribution of the Z1R over the headband is absolutely perfect.

Mar 23, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #700 of 2,728
Lying in bed on a Saturday morning listening to the Cascade using Filter 1 with the iBasso DX200, low gain, amp 4 and ALO Audio SXC-8 cable.

Bliss

*my review here:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/campfire-audio-cascade.22951/reviews

Added three more photos.

Showing more in detail how the filters are put in. (The first photo was too dark).

DCE0C38E-AA6A-4ACA-B2D0-F700C1EEC0F6.jpeg 2A958D44-CAFF-43D6-B23D-13A91B73EA2E.jpeg

And a kludge using the included Velcro to make a chin slider.

D4119BFB-D6E3-4836-B0F4-CC77D36B5E41.jpeg

Attachments

• CB1DE1E5-1961-486A-893C-EBA90B726A22.jpeg
    CB1DE1E5-1961-486A-893C-EBA90B726A22.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #701 of 2,728
I know this is the 3rd time I ask, but I got no response first 2 times (and more people get the Cascade daily):
Any comparison to Sony Z7 ?
I just joined today and saw your question. I've had cascade now for over a,week and about 160 hrs of,burnin. I also own sony Z7 and Z1R .I put the z7 up for sale . Thr cascade bass is pretty intense but controlled and makes z7 sound thin and as though there was a haze over the Z7 sound . Z7 are not very good in comlarison .The z1R also which I thought were bass heavy arebnot in comparison to cascade. I'm keeping z1r because they are perfect except not being portable .I am driving them w the sony wm1a and the Sony's w balanced .Still waiting for balanced cable for cascade.
Over all, u love cascade. But of you eant neutral look elsewhere .Thebcascade are a much better all around in all frequencies than z7 .
I've had better 1990 , 1770, t5p v2 and the z7 and z1r and the cascade to me are most fun
All I can say is that if you like exaggerated base, then you'll love cascade. If you want neutral you will be unhappy .
Great, portable .Great base .Ok high end as high hats sound a bit flat. Mids are nice and are not over powered by bass .
They need a little more amping than a regular phone .Have idsd nano black and its a,good pairing but I love my sony wm1a.
I'm not a,audiophile by any means .Love my sony wm1a. Love my cascades. And love my z1r . I'm,happy w my gear. No need to try anything else
And I will say the sony z1r aren't as forgiving of bad recordings. Cascade are .But the hi res I have spund amazing.

Mar 25, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #702 of 2,728
I'm finding the opposite - there's a slight hot spot on the top of my head for the Cascade, and I'm finding it less comfortable than my Focal Clear. I'm finding if I put more pressure on the ear cups then it would relieve the pressure on top, so I'm also trying to bend the headband a little to facilitate that placement.

Both headphones gave me a new found appreciation of how damn comfortable the Z1R is though....the weight distribution of the Z1R over the headband is absolutely perfect.
After a long listening session today I also have a hot spot at the top of my head due to pressure form the center of the headband. I ordered an HD 580/600 headband cushion in the hope that the notches will eliminate the pressure on my head at the center of the headband. (I also ordered a generic headband wrap to keep the HD 580/600 cushion in place).

The Cascade sounds awesome - I haven't used the filters so far. Bass really kicked in somewhere around 24 hours of burn in (each beat of an 808 literally felt like a kick in the cerebellum), but seemed to have calmed down between then and +/- 72 hours and I was able to listen at higher volumes. Now I'm at +/- 90 hours and the sound is amazingly rich and detailed. So far most of my listening has been via an R2R 11 or RHA Dacamp.

Mar 26, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #703 of 2,728
After a long listening session today I also have a hot spot at the top of my head due to pressure form the center of the headband. I ordered an HD 580/600 headband cushion in the hope that the notches will eliminate the pressure on my head at the center of the headband. (I also ordered a generic headband wrap to keep the HD 580/600 cushion in place).

The Cascade sounds awesome - I haven't used the filters so far. Bass really kicked in somewhere around 24 hours of burn in (each beat of an 808 literally felt like a kick in the cerebellum), but seemed to have calmed down between then and +/- 72 hours and I was able to listen at higher volumes. Now I'm at +/- 90 hours and the sound is amazingly rich and detailed. So far most of my listening has been via an R2R 11 or RHA Dacamp.

Please share your results with the headband and wrap mod. The sound of the Cascade is just about perfect for my portable needs so if the hotspot issue is fixed then the form factor would also be perfect.

Mar 26, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #704 of 2,728
So I re-auditioned the Cascade, Aeon F Closed and the TH900 today, and I've backflipped and bought the AFC. The AFC seems to strike a good balance between the other 2 with a great soundstage, imaging, and flat neutral to Harmon neutral response. The TH900 has a mega wow factor- spectacular s-stage, imaging, and brilliant bass slam. However, I feel it's treble is just slightly too grating on some material and it may not be a keeper in the long run. The Cascade, on the other hand, is pretty unique. It's a basshead can in the high end tier, and it also happens to have a very fine mid range and treble, with an above average wide (for a closed can) soundstage . I think it will be my next purchase as it will complement my collection very well. It just does something no other can does to this level. I admit I did have some not so positive things to say about these models recently, but I don't know why I've changed my mind almost completely on third audition. But anyway, these are my thoughts (at this moment ) and I hope it's helpful to others.

Mar 26, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #705 of 2,728
I'm running the Aeon Closed and Cascade as my two contrasting pairs of over-ears at the moment to cover all my sonic requirements - Elear and Nighthawk don't get a look in any more.

Just discovering the Cascade through the SXC balanced cable - not a night and day difference, but think it adds a little something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back