Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Mar 18, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #661 of 2,728
I think this might be one of those headphones that need a severe amount of burn in, lol. Sounding better today.

That post is from March 11th (the last time I listened to the headphone). They have been just sitting on a stand burning in since then.... till today.

Wow! The bass has tamed considerably (which is a very good thing). The reason I have not been listening to them really is because the bass was so strong that it was fatiguing after a short time of listening, lol. Sat down today to give them another shot and that problem now seems to be gone.

Going to put in lots of listening time now (mess with the filters and all that) and report back.

Mar 18, 2018 at 6:47 AM Post #663 of 2,728
I have the 12um filter in at the moment, which has subtly brought the treble down a notch and the mids out a touch more and after a couple of days on pink noise things are taming well. Where they worked very nicely is with old pop recordings that were mastered with insufficient bass. Since they use HD800 cables, I've been able to readily plug them into different amps.

Mar 18, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #664 of 2,728
Mar 18, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #665 of 2,728
20180316_084844244_iOS.jpg

Joining the club.

Tried it for a couple of songs and I pulled out my credit card. It ticks all the boxes which I was looking for in a closed back, around ear, portable headphone with the right audiophile qualities both in terms of sound quality as well as physical features. As I already said a few post before - a few months ago I looked really hard for a pair of portables and didn't find any, so I knew what's available (or rather - not available) in the market. These really fills the vacuum, and is not really that expensive considering the alternatives are the more expensive phones like the Ultrasone Edition M Plus (IMO).

Mar 18, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #667 of 2,728
Mar 18, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #669 of 2,728
Mar 18, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #671 of 2,728
There is no Reference 8 for the Cascade. There is only the SXC 8 (you can find it on the ALO Audio site) and it is a great upgrade. I'm using it in Balanced Mode connected to a Sony WM-NW1Z.

Mar 18, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #672 of 2,728
There is no Reference 8 for the Cascade. There is only the SXC 8 (you can find it on the ALO Audio site) and it is a great upgrade. I'm using it in Balanced Mode connected to a Sony WM-NW1Z.

I've got a WM-NW1A with the balanced sxc8 as well. Still haven't really had enough time to compare, as family has been here this weekend. Though hopefully I'll be able to add some thoughts (as a relative amateur at all of this, so take what I say with heavy grains of salt)

Mar 18, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #673 of 2,728
I second to that. This is a great matching: WM1Z -> SXC 8 balanced -> Cascade.

Mar 18, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #674 of 2,728

Pinned by Bad Guy Good Audio Reviews
Petrol Head 6 days ago (edited)
Can you please share at what point the beeping sound (like the Japanese heater warning) comes in 'wanna be starting something'. Also whether it's in the right channel or left. I've tried to hear it using Shure se846 and AK JH Rosie but no luck so far. Thanks

Bad Guy Good Audio Reviews
6 days ago
Track on DSD is 6:04 in length. At 1:31-1:33 it comes in the left channel. Thanks for asking. I love sonic cues for evaluation and confirmation :)

Petrol Head
42 minutes ago
You must have got a great pair of ears, you must have!!! I have the same DSD track. I finally heard the sound using the following combination: Headphones: Audeze LCD-3 and Sennheiser HD800S (both balanced and SE) DAC/Amp: Questyle CMA600i Player: Windows 10 > JRiver Media Centre The sound is so faint and almost buried far far back that if I wasn't searching for it, I would never have noticed it. I had used Shure se846se and JH AK Rosie with the following combinations without any success: Pioneer xdp-100r alone and paired with (1) ifi DSD BL and (2) Chord Mojo Fiio X5 with (1) ifi DSD BL and (2) Chord Mojo I think that in addition to the gear, hearing must have played a great part here. Perhaps you could hear the beeping sound with the gear which is not letting me hear it.

Bad Guy Good Audio Reviews
1 second ago
Bro...EPIC! Thanks for coming back and giving me an update. It is so subtle that lots of stuff won't show it but I KNOW it is there so it is great for clarity,resolution. You made my day . We do this in car audio a lot but folks in head gear don't use sonic rally points much...why..I dunno?

This was from CASCADE video where I could catch it which shows no veiling at all, impossible...this cue would be un detectable.
Much to the contrary...on filter 4 I am catching every sbtle cue from the songs I use for that.
FANTASTIC set :)

Mar 19, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #675 of 2,728

Any of the HD800 cables will work as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back