Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Mar 15, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #631 of 2,728
Gaming on the Cascade was fun but wasn't for me. The sound imaging is great but the sound stage was too small for me for FPS. I prefer my Fidellio X2 over the Cascade for gaming. With the X2 i can really pinpoint where shots are coming from as well as distances. The bass is just ok. I think the Cascade may pair better with Michael Bay Style Movies.

Agreed. I tried them with gaming briefly and it was a no go. I think I will always use open headphones for gaming as you can't beat that wide soundstage. Love gaming on my Utopia or HD800 for that purpose.

Mar 15, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #632 of 2,728
So, an update. My Cascade got here today. Unfortunately, I took them out of the box, tried them on, and the earcups were too small for me (as was the headband). So they are going to have to (unfortunately) go back. Kinda sad, because I really wanted to hear these. So I guess the point is that if you have a big head or big ears, try to find somewhere to try these on before buying :/

Anyways, it's been fun thread. Keep enjoying your Cascades!

Does anyone else find the square earpads too narrow?

I've just demoed it, and even though it ticks many boxes, I just can't get over how it squeezes my ears (I do have big ears)... any narrower and I feel it'd become on-ears.

Yes, I definitely do. Not only were they tight on my head, the square pads were too narrow for me too. Wish I could have demoed them locally before buying but hey.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #635 of 2,728
That's comparing apples to oranges. Open planar IEM/earphones vs Closed Dynamic headphones

Haven't tried the isine 20 but i would think the sound would be totally different.

Yea I understand the difference. I already have a electrostatic desktop setup and would like to have a portable setup which I can put in my travel bag, either closed or open cans. I have iem too but I need something sounds bigger.

Mar 16, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #636 of 2,728
Yea I understand the difference. I already have a electrostatic desktop setup and would like to have a portable setup which I can put in my travel bag, either closed or open cans. I have iem too but I need something sounds bigger.
If your looking at a big sound and want the sound signature of the Cascade. I would look at buying a pair of Campfire Vega IEM.

I purchased the Vega first and purchased the Cascade for at home listening.

Mar 16, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #638 of 2,728

If you have electrostats, I would suggest the iSine20 will give you a closer approximation. I have the iSine1p, and they sound more "open" than the Cascade, with that classic planar sound.

I'd say the iSine20 are more transportable than portable, though. They are fully open, so there is almost no sound isolation, so you wouldn't be able to use them on public teansport or out and about.

The Cascade have a much denser and more meaty sound, with more physical impact. Also, you have to have access to an Apple device and use the Cipher cable or a player that has parametric EQ in order to get the most out of the iSine - they are engineered to minimise distortion, but Auseze acknowledge that the "base" tuning is affected as a result, so they recommend their EQ setting to correct the bass and midrange to what they wanted.

For an "on the go" setup, I'd recommend the Cascade - the iSine are more of an at-home / at-desk / at-work kind of setup.

Mar 16, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #639 of 2,728
I'm contemplating on Cascade, I have the Vega, would you mind contrasting between these two on sound signature

I have both as well. Signature is similar between both, with the Cascade having slightly more emphasis in the treble and throwing a physically "bigger" sonic image in my head. If you're a fan of the Vega, you will like the Cascade, as it is very similar in overall approach. Well, IMHO anyway.

Mar 16, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #640 of 2,728
iSine 20 sounds good, but it did not fit well to my ears. If you want BIG sound, I seriously recommend Cascade. If you want to keep the size really small, then go with 64 Audio Tia lines, which has open back feeling through their Apex technology. I'm thoroughly enjoying Tia Fourte and U18t. I also auditioned Tia Trio and U12t at CanJam NYC, and they are also really good. I'm curious about N8t as well.

Mar 16, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #641 of 2,728
I hope we are not witnessing a sudden jump from £350 to £600 for top class portable headphones. Sad if this becomes the norm.

The opposite. Ken was inspired by the Ultrasone Edition series of which, the ED9 at least was $1500. This in 2009 dollars, so let's say closer to $2000 now, which is about what the current models cost. There has been a big hole for a long time in the $500-1000 market, filled by Sony with the Z7 at ~$700 (albeit not portable) or the Ultrasone Signature Series (ignoring the Focal Elex, which is not a retail product).

At a guess, the reason for the hole is that the price range is too high for most consumers on the one hand, who would want to see something more exotic at that price, yet for small manufacturers, if they want to start putting custom drivers and materials in the design, the RRP will end up at or above $1k.

Mar 16, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #642 of 2,728
I know this is the 3rd time I ask, but I got no response first 2 times (and more people get the Cascade daily):
Any comparison to Sony Z7 ?

Mar 16, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #643 of 2,728
I've discovered that the Cascade is pretty phenomenal for late night movies/TV. The bass on them really bring LFE content to life and it's almost like the subwoofer is still on, even though you're wearing headphones. Binged watched some of the Vikings TV series last night with mine, and it seemed to do fine out of my Pioneer AVR receiver despite its 35 ohm output impedance.

Mar 17, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #644 of 2,728
I've discovered that the Cascade is pretty phenomenal for late night movies/TV. The bass on them really bring LFE content to life and it's almost like the subwoofer is still on, even though you're wearing headphones. Binged watched some of the Vikings TV series last night with mine, and it seemed to do fine out of my Pioneer AVR receiver despite its 35 ohm output impedance.
They seem to do everything well. I just got mine today and they've been playing since this morning. I just wonder about the sound bleed. And I wish I could have skipped this 3.5mm altogether and received a 2.5mm but then I'd truly be dreaming. Worth every penny.

Mar 17, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #645 of 2,728
Yes, I definitely do. Not only were they tight on my head, the square pads were too narrow for me too. Wish I could have demoed them locally before buying but hey.

I noticed the tight band too. It was a secondary complaint as I assumed I could bend it out a bit to reduce the clamp. But I can't see any way around the narrow earpads :disappointed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back