Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Mar 17, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #646 of 2,727
My cascades spent most of the week on a stand getting pink noise pumped thru them. Probably have about 150 hours. I'm done formally burning them in. I'm tired of not having them to listen to in the evenings. Frankly I don't notice much (any?) improvement after another 4 days of burn in. They have become my favorite set of HP's by a wide margin.

One drawback to these is they have made my office setup Tidal -> PC -> Etymotics completely inadequate. I've always appreciated the clarity and transparency of the Ety's, but I find the cascades have just as much detail but with way more mids and base. And the quality of the mids and bass is simply superb to my ears.

I've finally found my first annoyance with them, the case doesn't easily carry them with the cable in. I'd rather not have to put the cable in and out all the time if I'm transporting these. Maybe I could force them but I'm reluctant to bend them.

Otherwise I'm delighted with these. At first I was concerned the bass and mids were too much, but they've tightened up perfectly, and/or I've grown to love the additional presence and physicality brought out by these headsets. I'm really temped to try out the vega's if they have a similar sound stage...

Best hi-fi purchase I've made in years.

Mar 17, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #647 of 2,727
The opposite. Ken was inspired by the Ultrasone Edition series of which, the ED9 at least was $1500. This in 2009 dollars, so let's say closer to $2000 now, which is about what the current models cost. There has been a big hole for a long time in the $500-1000 market, filled by Sony with the Z7 at ~$700 (albeit not portable) or the Ultrasone Signature Series (ignoring the Focal Elex, which is not a retail product).

At a guess, the reason for the hole is that the price range is too high for most consumers on the one hand, who would want to see something more exotic at that price, yet for small manufacturers, if they want to start putting custom drivers and materials in the design, the RRP will end up at or above $1k.

I would even go further and say I find there's a lack of choices in closed back portable around-ear headphones in general when it comes to different sound tuning for under $1K. I also think Ken is correct in saying there's a lack of audiophile option, as typically speaking for close back portables the signature all tends towards warm-lush tunes as most product seems to be targeting the same type of mainstream consumers. A few months ago I was at Yodobashi Akiba and e-earphones checking out close back portable and no matter which brand I try they all have the samish warm-lush tuning (except Audio Technica, which is on the other extreme of being very bright), the differentiation the maker focuses on seems to be mainly aesthetics and consumer options (eg in-line mic cable), and not many ticks all the correct audiophile feature boxes (resolution, portable, balance ready removable cable etc).

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 3:21 AM Post #648 of 2,727
10085025.jpg

Someone asked on YT about this pairing power wise....it is fine on 50 outta 100 volume on high gain

Mar 17, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #649 of 2,727
I tried the Cascade with the Q5 last week. I did not like the pairing. The Q5 has a treble emphasis that is hard to ignore and takes away from the musicality. It gave me the polar opposite experience that the Cascade was designed to deliver. The following is a list of pairings I would recommend:

1. Chord DAVE: great
2. Chord Hugo 2: great
3. iFi nano iDSD BL: good
4. iPad: good

I used to own the WA8 and it was a fantastic pairing with the Utopia. I can't imagine it would be anything less than great with the Cascade.
It's a great pairing, I can attest to that, and take it from a guy who bought the WA8 several years ago, returned it, and then bought it again a year ago, haha. Also agree on Hugo2 pairing; probably the best.

Mar 17, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #650 of 2,727
I know this is the 3rd time I ask, but I got no response first 2 times (and more people get the Cascade daily):
Any comparison to Sony Z7 ?

Coming. I have to get them down off the shelf. Mine are tape-modded to reduce the treble distortion, so I'd say without even listening that the Cascade has a nicer treble out of the box, even before burn-in is complete.

What has been interesting is that I had expected tracks with a strong bass, including the Chesky Binaural series to be too overwhelming, but I've been surprised at how well the combination works. Maybe the depth of the pads gives enough space to the sound that it can be strong without interfering too much.

Mar 17, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #651 of 2,727
They seem to do everything well. I just got mine today and they've been playing since this morning. I just wonder about the sound bleed. And I wish I could have skipped this 3.5mm altogether and received a 2.5mm but then I'd truly be dreaming. Worth every penny.

I am not so sure about it doing everything. For one, any poorly mastered recording are compounded it to the point that some songs that i used to enjoy annoy me to no end (ex. The Fugees- Ready or Not).

Cascade is heavily source dependent. Brings out the best and worst of your source material.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #652 of 2,727
Coming. I have to get them down off the shelf. Mine are tape-modded to reduce the treble distortion, so I'd say without even listening that the Cascade has a nicer treble out of the box, even before burn-in is complete.

What has been interesting is that I had expected tracks with a strong bass, including the Chesky Binaural series to be too overwhelming, but I've been surprised at how well the combination works. Maybe the depth of the pads gives enough space to the sound that it can be strong without interfering too much.
Amos - looking forward to your review and comparison to the Z7 (I love your reviews!!)
Other than being a bass cannon (in a good way), I also find the Z7 super comfy - I am wondering how the Cascade compare in comfort, too... I have big ears (length wise) and wondering if the pad opening is bigger/same/smaller compared to Z7.

Thanks!

Mar 17, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #653 of 2,727
10085025.jpg

Someone asked on YT about this pairing power wise....it is fine on 50 outta 100 volume on high gain
My favorite album!! I love Fleetwood Mac!!!
How is the sound of HiBy R3?

Mar 17, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #654 of 2,727
Asked about Cascade and Aeon Closed. Found one answer by searching back through thread and stumbled upon Giraku's link to MajorHiFi comparison. Campfire headphone with sound signature more Andromeda than Vega likely suits me better, though may purchase just the same as could be awhile before they a follow-up. Really like Cascade size, fold, cable, case and construction. Campfire Audio will no doubt shake-up some competitors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 17, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #655 of 2,727
My cascades spent most of the week on a stand getting pink noise pumped thru them. Probably have about 150 hours. I'm done formally burning them in. I'm tired of not having them to listen to in the evenings. Frankly I don't notice much (any?) improvement after another 4 days of burn in. They have become my favorite set of HP's by a wide margin.

One drawback to these is they have made my office setup Tidal -> PC -> Etymotics completely inadequate. I've always appreciated the clarity and transparency of the Ety's, but I find the cascades have just as much detail but with way more mids and base. And the quality of the mids and bass is simply superb to my ears.

I've finally found my first annoyance with them, the case doesn't easily carry them with the cable in. I'd rather not have to put the cable in and out all the time if I'm transporting these. Maybe I could force them but I'm reluctant to bend them.

Otherwise I'm delighted with these. At first I was concerned the bass and mids were too much, but they've tightened up perfectly, and/or I've grown to love the additional presence and physicality brought out by these headsets. I'm really temped to try out the vega's if they have a similar sound stage...

Best hi-fi purchase I've made in years.

Vegas are what made me decide to purchase the Cascades. While the I do love the Cascades the Vegas blew me away.

Mar 17, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #656 of 2,727
I am not so sure about it doing everything. For one, any poorly mastered recording are compounded it to the point that some songs that i used to enjoy annoy me to no end (ex. The Fugees- Ready or Not).

Cascade is heavily source dependent. Brings out the best and worst of your source material.
You must have a bad copy of that track. The Enya sample that runs through the entire song flows from left to right very niclely and the drums and vocals are placed on a silver platter. But I do agree these would reveal any artifacts or compression but that's not the Casacades fault. It's a HiRes set. Ooooh-la-laaaa

Mar 17, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #657 of 2,727
Decision, decisions. Aeon Closed or Cascade? Aeon more comfortable around ears and on head. Cascade better for use in and outside home. Each have their pluses, but neither ticks all the + boxes. Be my luck to buy one right before Focal announces new closed headphone in same price class :anguished:

Anyone here try both Aeon Closed and Cascade? Which one blocks sound intrusion best?
Aeon is defintley more comfortable but not as portable and they have s'little bass. Aeons were like standing against the wall while the Cascades were like being on the dance floor. You might be more comfortable against the wall and your feet may hurt after being on the dance floor but you probably had a lot more fun. Don't get me wrong; I plan to get Aeons myself for at home but I bought the Cascades first after trying them both at CanJam. And the Cascade definitely blocked sound better than the Aeons on the CanJam floor.

Mar 17, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #658 of 2,727
Aeon is defintley more comfortable but not as portable and they have s'little bass. Aeons were like standing against the wall while the Cascades were like being on the dance floor. You might be more comfortable against the wall and your feet may hurt after being on the dance floor but you probably had a lot more fun. Don't get me wrong; I plan to get Aeons myself for at home but I bought the Cascades first after trying them both at CanJam. And the Cascade definitely blocked sound better than the Aeons on the CanJam floor.
Sorry K1030. Was in process of deleting/editing my post and you could not see that before replying. Found answers going back through old posts in thread, but your comments appreciated.

Mar 17, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #659 of 2,727
I own the Aeon Flow Closed and the iDSD Black label, which is a fantastic combo, but I'd like to eventually purchase the Cascade for portability. What I'm really interested in is how the Cascade measures up to the Aeon Flow Closed in the following configurations:

Cascade - iDSD Black Label normal gain (Bass Boost and 3D Sound disabled)
Aeon Flow Closed - With foam inserts and iDSD Black Label normal gain (Bass Boost enabled)

Many thanks for the response if possible.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #660 of 2,727
You must have a bad copy of that track. The Enya sample that runs through the entire song flows from left to right very niclely and the drums and vocals are placed on a silver platter. But I do agree these would reveal any artifacts or compression but that's not the Casacades fault. It's a HiRes set. Ooooh-la-laaaa
The Enya sample is my problem with the song now. It is pushed out too far from the back that I am too focused on it and feel that its pushing my head back and forth. Almost a feeling of motion sickness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back