Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Mar 29, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #737 of 2,728
PVD Beryllium is reported to be more brittle than rolled foil Beryllium (Utopia) so it should be noted for health reasons when discarding the headphone, or when damage occurs.
Thanks for the info. Hopefully Campfire audio could provide some further information.

Mar 29, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #738 of 2,728
In my understanding, beryllium is toxic only during the processing process. It has been used for many speaker systems, and so far there is no health concern.
That being said, I understand that it's not an easy feeling that potential toxic material is so close to your body. What happens if the house gets fire or other hazardous condition?
Anyway, I'm enjoying the sound it produces...
Checkout this thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/no-response-from-focal-re-toxic-beryllium.866911/page-3
Focal does provide a safety booklet for their beryllium tweeter.

Mar 29, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #739 of 2,728
Awesome! I need this too. Where did you buy those headband cushions?

i

I like the look! Wondering where you got the cushions as well

The headband cushion was a Sennheiser HD 580/600 replacement cushion from Amazon. The knit headband wrap is from Amazon as well. You’ll need to extend the earcups out 2-3 clicks to accommodate the extra padding.

Note, I got this cushion because it has a notch in the middle to alleviate pressure on the fibrous joint running along the top of the skull - I’m sensitive to pressure there and the Cascade is a little too much.

Use Velcro cable ties with the felt on the inside so as to not to scratch the Cascade’s headband padding and the rough side on the outside to stick to and keep the knit headband in place.

I hope this helps.

Edit: better photo

CA Cascade.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #740 of 2,728
The headband cushion was a Sennheiser HD 580/600 replacement cushion from Amazon. The knit headband wrap is from Amazon as well. You’ll need to extend the earcups out 2-3 clicks to accommodate the extra padding.

Note, I got this cushion because it has a notch in the middle to alleviate pressure on the fibrous joint running along the top of the skull - I’m sensitive to pressure there and the Cascade is a little too much.

Use Velcro cable ties with the felt on the inside so as to not to scratch the Cascade’s headband padding and the rough side on the outside to stick to and keep the knit headband in place.

I hope this helps.

Hows the comfort now? I do get a little hotspot due to the headphones design

Mar 29, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #741 of 2,728
Hows the comfort now? I do get a little hotspot due to the headphones design
Comfort is a lot better!!! I can still feel the weight of the Cascade but it doesn’t hurt - I used the Cascade for 2+ hours last night without getting a hot spot.

Mar 29, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #742 of 2,728
I wonder if the headband wrap alone might work for me? I felt the hot spot once after an extended listen and managed to alleviate it somewhat by shifting the headband. Maybe the wrap alone might be good for me. Great idea! Love the Cascade.

Found a cotton band on Amazon that might suit me better (wool makes me itchy):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M8K9K2N/ref=psdc_172541_t2_B01G4TWZC6

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #743 of 2,728
I wonder if I should buy this instead of the LCD2C. For reference, i love bass. I love Fostex TH-X00's bass but i hate their sibilant highs and recessed mids.

The treble on the Cascades, IMO, is fantastic, enhanced by the ability to tune it slightly. The mids will be somewhat recessed due to the bass even with some tuning. If you want more forward mids, the LCD-XC might be better, but they drop the mid-bass as a result of putting cups over planar drivers.

Mar 29, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #744 of 2,728
I wonder how 1MORE TRIPLE DRIVER compares to Cascade. Are there anyone who listen to both of them?

From the review from Innerfidelity, the 1MORE seems extremely travel friendly at 283g. (Cascade (383g)).
Both of them look well built and have sound for bass lovers. Both of them are slightly smaller than full over-ear closed cans.

Also, the price of the 1MORE is at a point difficult to resist, especially with a promo code (about $217)

Mar 29, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #745 of 2,728
I wonder how 1MORE TRIPLE DRIVER compares to Cascade. Are there anyone who listen to both of them?

From the review from Innerfidelity, the 1MORE seems extremely travel friendly at 283g. (Cascade (383g)).
Both of them look well built and have sound for bass lovers. Both of them are slightly smaller than full over-ear closed cans.

Also, the price of the 1MORE is at a point difficult to resist, especially with a promo code (about $217)

For me the Cascade smoked the 2more at CanJam NYC. If memory serves me right they were only separated by the ibasso and maybe audio 64 booths and the Cascade was just on another level especially in the mids and highs. I also liked the Focal Listen pro better than the 1more.

Mar 29, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #746 of 2,728

For me the Cascade smoked the 2more at CanJam NYC. If memory serves me right they were only separated by the ibasso and maybe audio 64 booths and the Cascade was just on another level especially in the mids and highs. I also liked the Focal Listen pro better than the 1more.

Mar 29, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #747 of 2,728

To put it briefly, this is what I wanted for about ten years. Freshly entering this headphone world, I liked the HD 25, and there is also a feeling that the feeling at the time when I was re-cableing was revived until I made overseas mail order.
What I was using when I started this blog is earphone ER 4, E 5, and headphones HD 25. Earphones have made long-term progress and have used countless models. But portable headphones have Edition 8 and T5p, but the feeling that I liked the HD 25 I felt at first was not so much renovated. I think that it was this CASCADE that I wanted to re-encode to HD 25 and get it to HD 25 - 13 and realize it. I wanted this until now. Earphone is a fierce battlefield, but portable headphones do not have much rival. What sound quality can be a competitor would be Edition 8 series or T5p.

Now I must try Cascade since my ears were burned in using HD25 :vulcan:

Mar 29, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #748 of 2,728
I tried the 1More Triple at CanJam Singapore. Didn't get to try the Cascade, though I could if I dropped by one of the local headphone specialty shops.

If you love and spend a lot of time listening to delicate vocals, the 1More shouldn't be considered. To me at least, they sound "grainy" in the 3~4 female vocal tracks I tried them with (my own tracks that is ). Its as if the driver crossover frequencies didn't quite transit properly.
But outside of that, they were very good for instruments and on male vocals.

Crisp and well separated instruments. Bass was coherent and not bloomy.

Hope its of some perspective though can't give comparison for the Cascade here.

Mar 30, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #750 of 2,728
Are we gonna be able to purchase this with 2.5mm or 4.4mm balanced connector?

I mean as a combo, like you can chose which cable you want while purchasing, I won't be using the 3.5mm that comes standard with it since all my gear are balanced.
Not at this moment. Balanced cables are optional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back