Cans for an aspiring producer.
Dec 17, 2010 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Fuiste

New Head-Fier
Well, I think the title says it all. I'm a college student with roommates who aren't always keen on listening to the same section of a song I'm working on played ad-nauseum over my near-field monitors, so I've decided to give them a break and get some good reference phones.  I've already got a pair of DT770PRO 250-ohm headphones, but I've recently come into some money and have been eying up the AKG K701's and Denon AH-D2000's 

My budget is $300 max, but I've got a Fiio E9, so I should be able to amp just about anything.  Also keep in mind I'm looking for accuracy over an enjoyable listening phone, hence why the 770's, which I love, aren't quite cutting it with their huge bass and razor highs.

Dec 17, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #2 of 2
DT770 has razor highs? That wasn't quite my impression but never mind :D

I'm not sure whether a Fiio E9 can fully drive K701s but it is a very good amp. Anyone can confirm this?

The AKG K701s have long been described as flat and accurate, but do note that its highs are slightly emphasized. And remember that they are open backed. Your dorm room may be too noisy perhaps?

Ask Acix for more advice, he uses a pair of K702s in the studio. He also recommended the GMP 8.35 D Monitor I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back