CanJam Singapore 2018 Impressions Thread! (March 24-25, 2018)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 29, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #151 of 199
The seinheiser amp that drives HD820 cannot make it. I didn't like it. I strongly believe HD820 will sound much better with powerful tube amp like Auris or Cayin HA300. HD800 sounds so good with Auris tube amp. I believe HD820 would be the same if properly driven.

I was similarly underwhelmed by the HD820 through that amp, even after cranking up the volume. Not too sure why, but it sounded rather dull and lifeless.

Mar 29, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #152 of 199
I was similarly underwhelmed by the HD820 through that amp, even after cranking up the volume. Not too sure why, but it sounded rather dull and lifeless.

Ya, The first time i hear HD800, it was at Alexander park office driven by their "best" amp. I didn't like it. So flat and no bass at all. That combo was suppose to be the best match.
After a few years, i dropped by Zeppelin and "accidentally" get a chance to hear HD800 again. This time, the setup was:

Samsung S8 note with Tidal Hifi -> Hugo2 -> Auris Headonia and HA2 -> HD800

This setup really bring up the potential of HD800!! It's soundstage is very wide and holographic. The bass is enough but could be more. Much much better than the combo of Seinheiser. After listening to this, i changed my mind of HD800 and i guess HD820 would be as good or better? Don't write off HD820 yet. I think it's a must have closed headphone. :)

Mar 30, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #154 of 199
Mm....thanks. Can’t wait to audition the HD820 once it is locally available. Should make a nice pairing with the Woo Audio WA8, as a transportable rig.

OT: mm...I did get a freebie. I requested the two-CD HE 1 Test Tracks. They made it in Germany and hand delivered to my country. Nice gesture.... me grateful

But I am sorry. A lot of the tracks are not in my wheel house. Musical taste difference.

Hello again raypin, Good to hear that you got at least a "tiny freebie" from Sennheiser.
I also got a freebie at Canjam Singapore from the kind gentleman Gary at HIFIMAN's table when I mentioned to him that I had been pulling on my HEKV 2 cable so many times when packing it back into its Hippocase travelcase after use, that my right channel stopped working.
He gave me a brand new one for free. That is what I call good service!
From now on I will pull on the plugs directly, not the cable.
Both their electrostatic Shangri La Junior and Susvara sounded very interesting indeed
Sennheiser on the other hand, wanted me to send in my HD800 to them to exchange my aging earpads and wanted 125 SGD for doing it for me.
Luckily there was a a guy selling earpads for HD800s for 50SGD a pair.
There was a handy little tool included and now my HD800 sounds like new again.
Back at my hotel it took me less than five minutes to do the job myself.
But the HEKV2 sounds even better than HD800 via Qutest and my Benchmark headphone amp.
In fact, together they make up the best travel combo I have had so far.
I haven't auditioned the WA8 you mentioned yet. But their WA33 is a mighty beast that sounds super-nice via Susvara and DAVE/BLU2.
Unfortunately it is not an amp that travels well.
The headphones that tended to be on demo at most places with Highend headphone amps were in fact the Susvara.
I am beginning to supect more and more that there might be a very good reason behind why so many want to demo their upmarket amps via Susvara.
Probably the most extravagant,biggest,heaviest and possibly also most expensive headphone amp at the show the 20000 dollar/ Ångstrom was also using a Susvara among other highend ones.
Cheers Christer

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #155 of 199
Had the opportunity to attend the CanJam Singapore , it was great to see some vendors that I don't get to see in the USA plus see some of the new products.

• Vision Ears- First Universal: Great fit , sound was pretty interesting in detail and mids/high characteristics. However I was told that the unit is a demo with only one of the tuning's to be offered it will be a multi tuned unit. Following some of the latest developments of offering one IEM with multiple signatues
  • Jomo - Enjoyed the Samba as always its just a great set of IEM. The Flamenco has a great signature. But I am always fumbling with the switches. Plus I have some challenges with the fit.
  • LimeEars- New Universals Aether and Model X. Both sounded pretty great. Felt that Model X gave me enhanced MIds and some bass adjustment, however found some blurred areas with some songs. The Aether with the stock cable did not impress me, however when they gave me the one with the Whiplash TWAG , wow what a change!!!. When used the switch the bass was just pretty good
  • Stagediver SD5. This company always knows how to deliver on the ergonomics side, the wood version was super light and soft within the ear. As a previous owner of the SD4, they were very close but found a bit more in the lower end.
  • Colorfly, had some great conversation with these guys. They are experimenting a lot , their new DAP had some interesting signature but it was pre production unit so was not 100% final. It was interesting that they had a pair of Oriolus Mellianus at their booth to try with their DAP. That is quite an IEM great overall, the cable is silver. Had not tried this, I felt that it was a mix of the new Vision Ears and the SD5
  • CTM The DaVInci units are awesome, the build, look,etc. If I had the $$$ I would buy the 10 driver liked the low end signature
  • Meze Audio RAI -Aluminium. Nice fit and sound. However it did not really " want them" they are seem to neutral or trying to please everyone. Not sure
  • IBASSO The IT04 are a nice option from the IT03, however I have the IT01 and not sure I get a lot more for the $ difference.
  • DITA Audio Fealty and Fidelity liked them both. If I had to pick I would go with Fealty. However the cable was a pain to deal with. The silver and blue combination of the IEM body and the cable was interesting. But still prefer the black iteration from the past
  • HYLA The Questyle booth had these for audition. Quite a bass. The units are pretty simple (plain purple) and would expect a bit more of "standout" for the pricing
Enjoyed the weather , its nice to get away from the cold

does Colorfly have a new dap, any more info

Mar 30, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #156 of 199
Hello. Sorry for asking simple question. But I am new to portable audio and wish to know what are some brands that I can read up about. I wish to buy a custom earphone (CIEM). Now I am using a hi-fi home system, so I want a CIEM that is almost the same quality for portable use. I am looking at the quality of detail and natural sound. I wish I could go to the Singapore can jam, but could not as I had work. So to some of you who managed to try the new CIEM do you have any CIEM that you want to really suggest? I have a budget set, so I wish to buy one iem that I will not regret. Thank you so much.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #157 of 199
Hello. Sorry for asking simple question. But I am new to portable audio and wish to know what are some brands that I can read up about. I wish to buy a custom earphone (CIEM). Now I am using a hi-fi home system, so I want a CIEM that is almost the same quality for portable use. I am looking at the quality of detail and natural sound. I wish I could go to the Singapore can jam, but could not as I had work. So to some of you who managed to try the new CIEM do you have any CIEM that you want to really suggest? I have a budget set, so I wish to buy one iem that I will not regret. Thank you so much.
If you're from Hong Kong as listed by your profile you are in very good hands, I'm sure there are other Hong Kees on the forum willing to help but a quick search online should yield results, HK has lots of stores offering CIEMs for you to try before committing unless you like being at the mercy of online opinions.

Mar 30, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #158 of 199

Hello @Sonicears, I hope you found my answer on Nic’s Ranking the Stars thread helpful. But, realising now that you live in Hong Kong, I’d recommend you check out Crystal Sound Audio. They carry brands like Jomo and Empire Ears among others as well. I’m sure you’ll be able to audition some of the IEMs I mentioned there. If not, hopefully you can find IEMs you like, so we can recommend more IEMs to you based on the ones you preferred from your demo. Cheers! :)

Mar 30, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #159 of 199

There's many stores in Hong Kong you can take a look at, some examples are DMA, iN Custom Pro Shop, Master Pro, Right Shop.

If you can travel to Shanghai, there's the 2018 Shanghai SIAV Show that runs between 13th April and 15th April.

Mar 30, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #160 of 199
I finna get some Eikons. Fiio's new FH1 was disappointing, just get the F9 PRO. Sundara was very good. New Advanced Sound IEM was AWFUL!
I tried the 3 new Advanced Sound iems, and find them pretty good. Especially the one with single dynamic driver and the prototype with 11ba drivers. Advanced Sound new iems do have a bright sound signature but they sound transparent and smooth with good details retrieval. Not sibilance at all.

Mar 30, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #161 of 199
Mar 30, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #163 of 199

mm...not from Hong Kong (and you are based there, right?) but it is my go-to place for headphone and in-ears when it is not available in my neck of the woods. Fave: Mongkok area - DMA and Jaben HK. Sim City building, alone, along Shangtung St. houses half a dozen headphone and in-ear shops. Try Kingsound for the Ocharakus (rare). Jaben HK (Wing Wah bldg.) for all things Fitear (even rarer). DMA has Vision Ears (also hard to find). HK shops have almost all the brands and models (including the latest ones). You will not lack for options. It is my happy place for headfi gear.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #165 of 199
Hi Andy, i made a big mistake by stopping over at your booth FIRST. After listening to your Cayin HA300 + Hifiman Susvara and iDAC6+iHA6+Bravo HAM-T Signature and Ra-c-cu, it's very hard for me to hear the others on that day!! I have to take a long break and come back again to visit other booths after a few hours. Thank you and David (oBravo) for hosting me that day. Cheers.

Just get back to Hong Kong after a short break in Singapore.

Shall I describe your "mistake" as a happy mistake? :grin:

the HA-300 and Susvara and HAM-T Signature are very good headphones when driven appropriate, but they have fairly different sound signature, glad to know you like both,

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back