CanJam Singapore 2018 Impressions Thread! (March 24-25, 2018)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 27, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #121 of 199
Wow, how did that cruise ship get stuck on top of those buildings? They must have some wonderful surf there. :kissing::call_me::ocean:

Stop by in Shenzhen, we actually have real cruise ship stuck in small pool in middle of city block!

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 27, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #122 of 199
Stop by in Shenzhen, we actually have real cruise ship stuck in small pool in middle of city block!
Just looked it up, that is crazy.

Mar 27, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #123 of 199
More like a Spago and a billion people swimming in the pools. But the food and drinks are great!
That is one big pool. The crowds must keep that Spago busy.

Mar 27, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #124 of 199
Mm...superthanks!

Now to the less important facets. How is the build quality of the Soundwriter CIEM? Have you seen the various faceplates? For the megaprice of around usd 5k (costs more than my SR 009 set), I expect (demand) absolute flawless quality. Zero bubble? How is the fit? Did they get it right the first time? Carring case is plain Pelican case? I’d be sorely disappointed if it is a mere generic Pelican. The case does not impact the sound quality but if it comes with a customized case, it shows that the creator took the time to pay attention to all the details of the product....shows pride of craftsmanship.

They're made by 64Audio, so they're pretty much built exactly like one of 64Audio's custom IEMs. Music Sanctuary have worked really hard on the packaging (in fact, the packaging is part of the reason why this product took this long to come out), so I can 100% assure you that it'll be more than just a plain Pelican case.

Mar 27, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #125 of 199
Any impressions / pictures / pricing of the Cayin HA300? That amp seriously looks amazing. I hope people report that it sounds as good as it looks!
It was definitely an interesting amp which I hope to audition under quieter listening conditions. But it sure sounded nice with Susvara and acoustic music.
I think Jaben sells it here in Singapore?

Mar 27, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #126 of 199
Accordi
Mm...I am interested in the Soundwriter. Just to clarify, this is a 2-year long collaboration between 64 Audio and PW Audio (read it from Music Sanctuary's FB post):

1. What you auditioned is the Soundwriter which comes with the PW Audio1960s (K version) 4 wire cable (as a package), not the current 4 wire 1960s cable??? I read that the K version is exclusive to the Soundwriter.

2. By any chance, did you audition and compare the Soundwriter with the 64 Audio Tia Fourte (easily my favorite iem, alongside Empire Ears Zeus R XIV)?

Tia.

Also, no one auditioned the Sennheiser HD 820?? Impressions? As an owner of both the 800 and 800S, I am naturally curious if the 820 is a worthy addition.
According to Axel Grell of Sennheiser the HD 820 is basically a closed back HD800S.
The driver is still the same one used already since 2009 in HD800. And the HD800S and HD820 both share that same driver but with a Helmoltz Resonator added to tame spikes.
My first impressions at their booth with mainly pop rock music that was not very revealing, were, pretty good insulation compared to open back headphones but basically similar to my HD800.
It insulates up to 24dB which can be very useful under noisy conditions. It was actually the only headphone one could listen to without too much disturbing surrounding noise in the big showroom. But it does not seem to be the major upgrade over HD800 I was hoping for.
I found the Electrostatic Voce from Mr Speakers and Stax SR009, HIFI Man's ShangriLa and Susvara more interesting.
But I have to admit that even the HD800 sounded very nice via a HUGO2 connected to a newish Taiwanese headphone amp whose name I can't recall right now.
The HD 800 was after all my reference dynamic headphone for quite a few years.
And it is still a very good headphone imho.
Cheers Christer

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #127 of 199
Accordi

According to Axel Grell of Sennheiser the HD 820 is basically a closed back HD800S.
The driver is still the same one used already since 2009 in HD800. And the HD800S and HD820 both share that same driver but with a Helmoltz Resonator added to tame spikes.
My first impressions at their booth with mainly pop rock music that was not very revealing, were, pretty good insulation compared to open back headphones but basically similar to my HD800.
It insulates up to 24dB which can be very useful under noisy conditions. It was actually the only headphone one could listen to without too much disturbing surrounding noise in the big showroom. But it does not seem to be the major upgrade over HD800 I was hoping for.
I found the Electrostatic Voce from Mr Speakers and Stax SR009, HIFI Man's ShangriLa and Susvara more interesting.
But I have to admit that even the HD800 sounded very nice via a HUGO2 connected to a newish Taiwanese headphone amp whose name I can't recall right now.
The HD 800 was after all my reference dynamic headphone for quite a few years.
And it is still a very good headphone imho.
Cheers Christer

Mm...thanks. Were you able to compare it with other flagship closed-backs (LCD XC, Ether C Flow, Sony MDR, etc.)? Closed vs. closed seems a more fair comparison than closed vs. open. Does it have the chops to blow the competition out of the water?

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #128 of 199
Did anyone catch the battle of the 'stats between me and Martin of @Sonoma? Spoiler alert: much blood was spilled!

IMG_0110.JPG

Last edited:
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Mar 27, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #129 of 199
@Adventure Hi, when you mentioned that you bought the EE Phantom for your own use and the whole lineup for your business, does that mean that us EU customers can order/buy EE UIEMs from your store in the Netherlands soon? The Bravado is what I'd be interested in uiem form.

@Cagin, yes when all formalities are arranged then you can buy the Empire Ear UIEM's in the store or in the onlinestore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 27, 2018 at 6:13 AM Post #130 of 199
Did anyone catch the battle of the 'stats between me and Martin of @Sonoma? Spoiler alert: much blood was spilled!

Sorry but I missed that. On the other hand you were the only person who saw me breaking out of my isolation imprisonment cell on the second floor.
But I managed quite an escape there didn't I?
Cheers Christer

Mar 27, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #131 of 199
Mm...thanks. Were you able to compare it with other flagship closed-backs (LCD XC, Ether C Flow, Sony MDR, etc.)? Closed vs. closed seems a more fair comparison than closed vs. open. Does it have the chops to blow the competition out of the water?
Sorry , I am not much of a fan of closed back headphones so I did not compare the HD820 with any of the others there and then.
But for what it's worth it sounded very open for a closed back headphone.
Give it a try when it becomes available in a few month's time.
Having bought the HE1 from them they ought to send you an HD820 for free imo!

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #132 of 199
Mm....thanks. Can’t wait to audition the HD820 once it is locally available. Should make a nice pairing with the Woo Audio WA8, as a transportable rig.

OT: mm...I did get a freebie. I requested the two-CD HE 1 Test Tracks. They made it in Germany and hand delivered to my country. Nice gesture.... me grateful

But I am sorry. A lot of the tracks are not in my wheel house. Musical taste difference.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #133 of 199
Somebody please wake me up when this thread returns to sanity... I'm guessing that'll be... never
Emoticon - down the toilet.gif

For those of you who went to CJ SG 2018, I hope you enjoyed yourselves. Looks like it was a nice show, and thanks for sharing pics and impressions, for the rest of us to 'visit', vicariously.

Mar 27, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #134 of 199
Awesome impressions, @Adventure , they are much appreciated. Since you would like to attend more CanJams, it would be nice to meet you if you can make this year’s CanJam SoCal (April 7th and 8th). If not, no worries.

@moedawg140, I am sorry that I can't attend at the CanJam SoCal (April 7th and 8th) me and mrs Adventure are making a travel Adventure to Florida from the 4th to 25th April.
Starting in Miami > Keys > Fort Myers> Tallahassee> Great Smokey Mountains and last 5 Days Orlando area, looking forward to this!!

Mar 27, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #135 of 199
Some more IEM pictures. :)

Kurada IEM.

KL-REF by Kumitate Labs. Sounds great out of SP1000. Adjustable bass. Highly resolving sound.

Soundwriter.

64Audio newer IEM model. I forgot either Trio or U12t.

And some QDC monitors. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back