CanJam NYC 2017 Impressions Thread!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #152 of 323
Esp a woman who likes audio gear....... I always see posts here about how guys wish their girls were into headfi stuff, but if they ever found one they'd probably complain about how much money the ladies spent. :rolling_eyes:

You would end up arguing who gets the Utopia tonight. Oh wait, I suspect the spouse would always win that discussion.

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #153 of 323
You would end up arguing who gets the Utopia tonight. Oh wait, I suspect the spouse would always win that discussion.

Touché. :slight_smile: That type of thing is an issue sometimes in our house. Husband says that he just likes music and gear is my thing, but he is always borrowing whatever is new and shiny. Just today we had this discussion:
Me: where are my headphones?
Husband: which ones?
Me: the ZMFs
Husband: oh, they are on the table by my side of the bed.
:rage:

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #154 of 323
So that was a lot of fun! Just got back home and had to leave so,e quick impressions.
Favorite would have been the ZMF EIKON but luckily I received shipment few days prior to canjam :D
I had intended on buying a mojo while I was there if I could get one cheap enough but my credit card and hotel decided to withhold the price of the stay plus $20 a night and 20% on top of it so I wasn't able to. I guess it didn't matter too much because I left falling in love with the Hugo 2 and not wanting to use the money on the mojo so I could save for the hugo2. Like Jude said " as close to a smaller Dave" and I agree.
The new MrSpeakers AEON blew me away with its midrange. A great pairing with the mojo but magical with a hugo2. I desperately want to hear an ether c out of it.
The AEON is going to be the best selling headphone of 2017 I'd wager due to its price, performance and portability
The Dave is obviously amazing but no go for me $$$$$. It does make for a good occasional measuring tool though. A good " just how good are your headphones really?" Measuring tool.
It's almost like it can tell what's plugged into it and know exactly what's going on with the driver and adapt in real time to control it and bring the most out of it. and my take is that the EIKON "measures" extremely well lol.

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #155 of 323
I tried the Questyle Audio QP1R and found the scroll wheel to be awful. Half the time when scrolling nothing happened. It made my FiiO scroll wheel look great.

Did they have the wheel sticker on it? It works very easily with the sticker. Without its horrible. However even with the sticker, it's not a fast wheel. But it fixes all other wheel related concerns.

Regarding the qp1r wheel if folks played with the qp1r at our Questyle table then they had the new wheel which has been improved from the previous wheel. The new wheel no longer requires the wheel stick as it is easier to grip and when turn the wheel it is much more responsive. The qp1r at other tables were using the older model wheels. Sorry about the confusion on the issue. Wanted to clarify it a tad more leading up to Canjam but it slipped through the cracks.

The new wheel qp1r has started shipping since mid to late December and all new qp1r will feature the new wheel. With the new wheel there was a slight increase in price of $100 so authorized dealers will now be charging $999 for the qp1r. Being that the new wheel qp1r is a rather new unit we only had 2 demo units we could bring to Canjam and other tables used older units.

Hope that clears a bit of confusion regarding the wheel and the qp1r but if anyone has any more questions or concerns feel free to let us know.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Feb 6, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #156 of 323
The new MrSpeakers AEON blew me away with its midrange. A great pairing with the mojo but magical with a hugo2. I desperately want to hear an ether c out of it.
The AEON is going to be the best selling headphone of 2017 I'd wager due to its price, performance and portability

Totally agree. This hobby is starving for a great sounding headphone in this price range...Kudos to Dan for recognizing and filling the void.

I usually like a pretty healthy dose of thump to my headphones,and even I liked the AEON

Feb 6, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #157 of 323
The new wheel qp1r has started shipping since mid to late December and all new qp1r will feature the new wheel. With the new wheel there was a slight increase in price of $100 so authorized dealers will now be charging $999 for the qp1r.

It's pretty annoying that you did this without a change in model number and no public announcement. I was looking to buy a QP1R yesterday, searched around, found both the $999 and $899 prices from authorized dealers. Obviously I chose the lower price and ordered from them. Now you tell me that it's not actually the same device! It will be a hassle to return the ordered item and to reorder from a different vendor. Does not inspire confidence in your product or distribution process.

Feb 6, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #158 of 323
Thanks to the organizers for putting on this show!

I was only there on Saturday, but had a fine time.  I was lucky enough to get a time slot with the Smyth A-16 which is really fascinating and
a bargain for the spatial presentation it can create.  It was just excellent for movies, etc. 
I would have liked to see what it can do with 2 channel studio music and 2 channel live concert recordings since that is the vast majority of my listening.
This has tremendous potential and I really enjoyed my technical discussions with the creator.
It seems that a number of our local head-fiers, including some of the stax mafia, have ordered A-16 units so maybe we'll get to hear them at next
falls NY/NJ meet?

Fang's Shangri-la headphones are superb and in the same league as my 009/BHSE combo.
As usual, the 009/bhse sounded great, particularly since headamp is (finally!) putting a higher quality DAC into their demo.
I've felt for a long time that the DACs they have been using in the past did not allow the 009/bhse to show its stuff as brilliantly as it was capable of doing.
IMHO, an R2R DAC + 009/bhse is as good as it gets.
Unfortunately I didn't get around to hearing the Sennheiser TOL unit or the TOL Schiit DAC.

While there were many other good sounding iem on display, I was most impressed with the Katana which seemed to do everything well and nothing poorly or out of proportion.
It just sounded right.

Feb 6, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #159 of 323
Wow that's awesome. Didn't think of that possibility. Is this true for everyone that pre-registered for the demo ?
I didn't bother to ask about this, apparently I wasn't thinking straight after what I had just experienced :)

You'd have to ask them by email to be sure.

A lot of foreign tech in that demo (and not becase they were from the UK, lol). But it did seem like the main guy (Mr Smyth?) instructed the guy giving the demo (Dave was it?) to press a button and I saw a status bar scan from left to right. That may have been to commit the measurements taken for me to non-volatile memory. ... but it's all a guess. Don't really recall if that was done for everyone.

Feb 7, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #160 of 323
So that was a lot of fun! Just got back home and had to leave so,e quick impressions.
Favorite would have been the ZMF EIKON but luckily I received shipment few days prior to canjam :D
I had intended on buying a mojo while I was there if I could get one cheap enough but my credit card and hotel decided to withhold the price of the stay plus $20 a night and 20% on top of it so I wasn't able to. I guess it didn't matter too much because I left falling in love with the Hugo 2 and not wanting to use the money on the mojo so I could save for the hugo2. Like Jude said " as close to a smaller Dave" and I agree.
The Dave is obviously amazing but no go for me $$$$$. It does make for a good occasional measuring tool though. A good " just how good are your headphones really?" Measuring tool.
It's almost like it can tell what's plugged into it and know exactly what's going on with the driver and adapt in real time to control it and bring the most out of it. and my take is that the EIKON "measures" extremely well lol.

I will take that bet. I bet at least 10 headphones under $300 would outsell Aeon.

Feb 7, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #161 of 323
Just got home last night from Canjam NYC. Thank you @third_eye for this event.

Empire Ears
Jack, Dean, and Steve were very friendly and helpful. Got my girlfriend Savage IX Adel.
Will definitely be at Canjam RMAF

Effect Audio
The prototype#3 sounds the best imo. Will be waiting for it.
Eric is superb!! Hope to see you again bro!

64 Audio
Vlad from 64 was very helpful when I stopped by to tried U18 and Tia Forte.
A18 is pretty good. I think it is better than Tia Forte but it still would not be my number one iem.

Fiio
X5 Gen3 is pretty ok. It will be a good iem for Gym with its fun sound.

Sony
Sony NW-WM1Z is amazing but too pricy.

Noble
Katana is great, Encore is better than K10 but still not my cup of tea.

The Bit (Opus)
Opus2 was amazing for 1,500 usd.

Feb 7, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #162 of 323
It's pretty annoying that you did this without a change in model number and no public announcement. I was looking to buy a QP1R yesterday, searched around, found both the $999 and $899 prices from authorized dealers. Obviously I chose the lower price and ordered from them. Now you tell me that it's not actually the same device! It will be a hassle to return the ordered item and to reorder from a different vendor. Does not inspire confidence in your product or distribution process.

Can you pm the order details, there maybe a chance the qp1r will ship with the new wheel. But I can try to make arrangements to get a new batch qp1r for you.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Feb 7, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #163 of 323
My first CanJam, too, and had a blast. I brought along my trusty Chord Hugo/X5 2nd Gen rig to test the various headphones. In terms of cans there, I guess MrSpeakers Aeon is my new must have. Great sound, compact, VERY comfortable; in short, the compact-ish headphones been thinking about for travel. And at $699 (limited intro price) you can't go wrong. I think Dan's now creating/tuning headphones that rock. 

I listened to the Elear's for the first time and I was delighted that a) they were comfortable, and b) they sounded great. Now that I have the Ether Flows, I wouldn't rush to get them, but maybe someday.

By far the biggest surprise for me was the ENIGMAcoustics Dharma D1000. I'd read so many negative reviews, and yet they sounded really good! Can't recall what sources they were connected to.

Ended up buying a Questyle qp1r player at exhibitor's discount after the rep assured me the scroll wheel had been improved. The dastardly wheel is still pretty quirky, but the player and chip are so good that's okay. Also bought some plush lambskin replacement earpads from the Dekoni Audio guys for my Final Sonorous III and they worked like a charm.

We used two Dharma D1000 as monitor headphone for our tube rolling HA-1Amk2 demo.

The response was very good. Visitors feedback that the D1000 and HA-1Amk2 sounds extremely musical and great presence, the emotion of vocal music are particularly impressive. The setup is also consider very reviewing as they can spot the different of the two sets of tubes confidently, even when some visitors describe themselves as new comers and this is their first attempt in AB compare type critical listening. The interesting result is, although the other set of tubes is supposed to be a small upgrade at US$110, almost half of the visitors prefer the stock tube over the reissued Gold Lion EL84 and 12AU7, including one of the noted audiophile Mr Robinson.
- we tell them the price different of the tubes after they described their impression, so it can be consider a blind test to certain extend. This demo actually answered one of the most frequently asked question to our HA-1Amk2: why don't you use high quality tubes as your HA-1Amk2 stock tube? :D

The other interesting observation from Cayin's desktop demo table is visitors' choice and comment to the headphone we provided for our iDAC-6 and iHA-6 demo. We have setup two sets of iDAC-6 and iHA-6, and have the following headphone available for visitor audition:

1. Audeze LCD3
  2. Kennerton Odin
  3. HiFiman HE6 (re-cabled)
  4. Mrspeakers Alpha Dog
  5. Senn HD800
  6. Beyer T1
  7. Kennerton Vali

Because of space contrast, we can only put 5 headphone upfront, and the remaining two headphone will have to put on the rear part of the table, and we rotate them once for a while. In terms of user audition frequency, the Kennerton Odin and HiFiman HE6. to my surprised, were most frequently used and requested, maybe because these two headphones are not a available for audition in other booth.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 7, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #164 of 323
  Heard the Shangri-la briefly so didn't get much of a feel there.  I think they could have benefited from having their own room.

Ahh if we but had a cheque book the size of Sennheisers :)

We're you the guy that had his daughter sitting on his knee?

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Feb 7, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #165 of 323
Had a ball, was impressed by the ZMF Eikon, Mr. Speakers Aeon, and surprisingly, the Schiit Yggdrasil. Bought one the very next day with one day shipping. paid for the Aeon before the show, and hope to get an Eikon soon. Already had the Utopia and LCD-4, so took a close look at Dave, which was very impressive but didn't impress me as better than a separate DAC/amp combo like Yggy/Liquid Gold/GS-X mk2. Brought my Audioquest Nightowls for reference. 

David Robinson(!) was there, Also ran into my hero Skylar from Audioquest. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back