CanJam NYC 2017 Impressions Thread!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #136 of 323
Would love to hear some more thoughts on the Katana and Utopia!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I placed an order for the Utopia today, so should be able to tell you soon. 
smily_headphones1.gif

A lot of the vendors (Woo, Questyle, Chord) had them at their demo stations, and they really are something special.  Even in the noisy showroom it felt more like listening to speakers than headphones.  Very comfy too.  I like them enough to be willing to delay my target retirement date by a couple of months. 
blink.gif

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #137 of 323
I placed an order for the Utopia today, so should be able to tell you soon.  :)

A lot of the vendors (Woo, Questyle, Chord) had them at their demo stations, and they really are something special.  Even in the noisy showroom it felt more like listening to speakers than headphones.  Very comfy too.  I like them enough to be willing to delay my target retirement date by a couple of months.  :blink:
I don't know why, but I've had multiple occasions where I could try the Utopia, but I never do, not sure why I avoid it.

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #140 of 323
Once you do it is hard to go back. That was my downfall.
I guess that's part of it, but also I've gotten really into IEMs and CIEMs lately and convenience has become a major part of my evaluating and also I'm a junior in high school, so funds are tight and I don't have an amp that I feel is worthy enough.:joy: I'm hoping to pick up the Schiit Jotenheim with DAC module in the next 6 months and the new Fiio X5iii.

Avoiding temptation?  :evil:

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #141 of 323
Would love to hear some more thoughts on the Katana and Utopia!

I was at the Noble booth for a rather long time, mostly trying out the Katana and Kaiser Encore against my K10U. I left Canjam only purchasing one thing - the Katana. It was accurate, detailed, and generally well balanced. It had an airy feel and soundstage was a bit outside the head. It had a shimmer to the highs that was addictive and not too bright. Things were well separated (therefore easy to pinpoint things in space) but I felt the bass was somewhat not as cohesive with the rest...but I didn't care too much as the bass was very fast and nimble, and reached low. It had decent punchiness. The mids were very nice but I think they sounded better with female vocals. In the end, it somehow pulled everything off while still being very musical, and that's what made me want to buy them. They are not as warm as my K10s or the Kaiser Encores. The Encores were too close to my K10s. All of this through my iPhone playing Tidal.

I own the Utopia and pretty much agree with what everyone says about it. It's my favorite all rounder. 

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #142 of 323
I don't know why, but I've had multiple occasions where I could try the Utopia, but I never do, not sure why I avoid it.

Maybe its the price tag...maybe? In all seriousness it was the best headphone i heard all day.I was like... "dayum" but for that kind of money I prefer to keep all my body parts intact,cuz my wife would surely remove a few parts if I dropped 4k on headphones
mad.gif

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #143 of 323
Maybe its the price tag...maybe? In all seriousness it was the best headphone i heard all day.I was like... "dayum" but for that kind of money I prefer to keep all my body parts intact,cuz my wife would surely remove a few parts if I dropped 4k on headphones:mad:
Aggggh, why didn't I try it.:confounded:

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #144 of 323
  Maybe its the price tag...maybe? In all seriousness it was the best headphone i heard all day.I was like... "dayum" but for that kind of money I prefer to keep all my body parts intact,cuz my wife would surely remove a few parts if I dropped 4k on headphones
mad.gif

My husband was okay with it because I work and am pretty responsible financially, but he did say "So I don't expect you'll be getting anymore headphones anytime soon." 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #145 of 323
  I was at the Noble booth for a rather long time, mostly trying out the Katana and Kaiser Encore against my K10U. I left Canjam only purchasing one thing - the Katana. It was accurate, detailed, and generally well balanced. It had an airy feel and soundstage was a bit outside the head. It had a shimmer to the highs that was addictive and not too bright. Things were well separated (therefore easy to pinpoint things in space) but I felt the bass was somewhat not as cohesive with the rest...but I didn't care too much as the bass was very fast and nimble, and reached low. It had decent punchiness. The mids were very nice but I think they sounded better with female vocals. In the end, it somehow pulled everything off while still being very musical, and that's what made me want to buy them. They are not as warm as my K10s or the Kaiser Encores. The Encores were too close to my K10s. All of this through my iPhone playing Tidal.

I own the Utopia and pretty much agree with what everyone says about it. It's my favorite all rounder. 

I tried the Katana's and this is a very good description of them...  Not my preference, but definitely a very good IEM.

I didn't try them and a few things either....  Gives something to look forward to next time.
wink.gif

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #146 of 323

Yeah man,it is really nice! I wasnt impressed by the Elear in the least,but the Utopia is the real deal...My HE-6 is pretty close,and for a 1/4 of the price,but you need a mini nuke to drive it.

My husband was okay with it because I work and am pretty responsible financially, but he did say "So I don't expect you'll be getting anymore headphones anytime soon." 
rolleyes.gif

Seems like your husband and my wife take notes from the same quote book

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #147 of 323
   Gives something to look forward to next time.
wink.gif

.....and for when he is finished paying for college. 
wink.gif

Seems like your husband and my wife take notes from the same quote book

Ha ha, the cover must be battered and worn, because it seems to have been passed through the hands of many Head-fi spouses.......... 
wink_face.gif
  I am very lucky, my husband was a champ and even seemed to enjoy CanJam at times.  He had a much better attitude than I would have had if he dragged me to a 3D printing or Arduino convention. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #148 of 323

rolleyes.gif

That's what I told my wife, when I got the HE1000 ... "I won't need another headphone anytime soon"
Now I am working on my story for the Utopia :)

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #149 of 323
  .....and for when he is finished paying for college. 
wink.gif

Ha ha, the cover must be battered and worn, because it seems to have been passed through the hands of many Head-fi spouses.......... 
wink_face.gif
  I am very lucky, my husband was a champ and even seemed to enjoy CanJam at times.  He had a much better attitude than I would have had if he dragged me to a 3D printing or Arduino convention. 
biggrin.gif

lol I know what that feels like
tongue.gif
...  I'm at the limit of the budget and best value/performance ratio gear that I can stretch to right now...

After going to Canjam I am ready to step up to the next level...   Alo Continental!!!  and some Campfire Audio's!!!...  once the career is started...

Luckily that will probably time perfectly with next year's Canjam NYC and the discounts offered there.

Canjam is one of the wallet's worst enemy...  the only thing that may be worse is a woman
wink.gif

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #150 of 323
Yes than it was you. I was the big guy with the short hair cut. We we're talking about a bunch of random stuff. I was telling you that the Utopia blew the LCD-4 for me. And the amp you hooked them up with had a hard time pushing them. 

Ahh yes! I remember! I checked the computer after you left and it looks like someone may have hit the volume slider in Jriver when trying to press play,the software was running on half volume so that may have been what was up with the lcd-4. These events I love so much since I end up needing out over gear and end up talking about so much of the gear.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back