CanJam London 2018 Impressions Thread (July 21-22, 2018)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #61 of 186
How is he powering Hugo M-Scaler on airplane? By USB battery? I heard that FPGA in M-Scaler alone would consume about 10w. Am really interested to know how we can use it in mobile situation. Really exciting if we can hear Million taps on the go!
Some planes have regular outlets at every seat.

Jul 22, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #63 of 186
Some Final IEMs are 50% off at the show: e.g. FIBASS. I enjoyed D8000 and would like to listen to it more seriously some time.

Mr Speakers VOCE was splendid to listen to and very comfortable and light. I managed to forget to return to listen to VOCE on all three of the amps, so only heard it with the "introductory" amp, whose name I didn't catch. Had a good long chat with Dan, not all headphones related!

I would also like to spend more time listening to Meze Empyrean, very good first impression. I liked the build, "low" weight and comfort.

I was at the Hugo M Scaler launch, where lots of tasty morsels of technical info were revealed. And also spent a while talking to Rob, with more nuggets of fascinating insights. The finish on the black Hugo M Scaler case is quite different from the Hugo TT 2. This seems like a mistake. I prefer the semi-smooth finish of TT2 over the coarse finish of M Scaler. I wonder if Chord will harmonise the case finishes?

The Plaza suites, where the "quiet rooms" are, is the place to go to hear the best of Headamp, My Speakers, Stax, Meze, Sonoma.

I managed to forget to listen to Abyss Phi CC, which was annoying.

Very impressed by the weight reduction of Audeze 4Z versus 4 and definitely preferred 4Z over MX. Not convinced Audeze's sound is for me though.

I'm guessing Sunday will be when it gets really busy as today wasn't heaving...

We’re you able to see the TT2 and M-Scaler side-by-side for the finish comparison or did you just notice the M-Scaler finish to be coarse? The Chord website displays an identical casework finish for the TT2, M-Scaler, and TToby in the stacked picture. Maybe you are referring to the pattern of indentations on the top of the casework?

E39BC040-D570-4316-8196-BABDE9CEC9F0.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #64 of 186
Let's keep this between us, Big Andy or Fang doesn't need to know this. :beerchug:

Did they use a desktop player or a notebook as source for the Chord Dave? or did they use the digital out from R2R2000 to feed into the Dave? Actually if you have the Type-C to RCA coaxial cable from us, you can plug in your i5 to any desktop DAC, I used to have that (a DAP and a RCA coaxial cable) with me when I hang around CanJam, I can test IEMs and plug into any desktop rig conveniently with that simple setup.
There were 2 options available during unofficial Friday set up session:
Laptop (not sure what software) to Dave Shangri-La Amp or
R2R2000 to Shangri-La Amp
I will be back again today and report back what is their official set up ;]

As a Cayin rep, I am surprised also but I thought the Cayin i5 was the personal unit of Ithilstone and Dave is their regular setup? You definitely should listen to the Shangri La setup with the Dave, electrostatic system need a strong front-end to demonstrate its full glory.

That's right i5 was my personal DAP I used for convenience and I would be really surprised is anyone from team Hifiman would even consider using anything but Dave or R2R2000 as a source at CJ
As a side note I think it is a good practise to limit number of unknown factors when listening to new gear - So where possible I try to use, very well known to me, source + music I am really familiar with.
Not that shows like CJ is anywhere near being ideal for critical evaluation of gear with all that ambient noise etc.

Jul 22, 2018 at 4:19 AM Post #65 of 186
We’re you able to see the TT2 and M-Scaler side-by-side for the finish comparison or did you just notice the M-Scaler finish to be coarse? The Chord website displays an identical casework finish for the TT2, M-Scaler, and TToby in the stacked picture. Maybe you are referring to the pattern of indentations on the top of the casework?]
At the launch TT2 and M Scaler were side by side, where it was really obvious. Rob said that M Scaler was "production" (though there was a spelling mistake in the "window", which by the way isn't a porthole to show the inner workings).

The patterning is another clear difference, but I wasn't referring to that.

Jul 22, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #66 of 186
There were 2 options available during unofficial Friday set up session:
Laptop (not sure what software) to Dave Shangri-La Amp or
R2R2000 to Shangri-La Amp
I will be back again today and report back what is their official set up ;]

That's right i5 was my personal DAP I used for convenience and I would be really surprised is anyone from team Hifiman would even consider using anything but Dave or R2R2000 as a source at CJ
As a side note I think it is a good practise to limit number of unknown factors when listening to new gear - So where possible I try to use, very well known to me, source + music I am really familiar with.
Not that shows like CJ is anywhere near being ideal for critical evaluation of gear with all that ambient noise etc.

I see, so you sneak in during the setup session. :ksc75smile:

You did mention "Fed by Cayin i5 with a selection of my music" in the very beginning so I was under that impression all along and now it is confirmed. Now I am wandering whether @Nicholasheadfi2 had auditioned the Shangri-La Junior in person during the CanJam, he couldn't have spotted the i5 -> Shangri-La Junior setup at all.

I suppose you are queuing outside the hall already, lets hope you can use your USB stick with the Dave and demo the Shangri-La with your own music again, maybe you'll like the Shangri-La senior more with the Dave in the front-end.:beerchug:

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 22, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #67 of 186
The latest sample of Cayin N8 flagship DAP and N5iiS Android based DAP are on display at Westminister 41, the N5iiS will be available early next month and the N8 is scheduled to release by late August/early September, so they are in pre-production status already. Drop by and tell us what you feel about these two DAPs. Bring your IEM/headphones and keep your beloved music in TF card, Chris from AdvancedMP3 is looking forward to meet you at the party.

CanJam London 2018.jpg

CanJam London 2018 01.jpg
0V8A6521.jpg
N5iiS stock photo.jpg

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 22, 2018 at 4:58 AM Post #68 of 186
Come on attendees, where are all your event photo’s?!?

For those of us unable to attend this year we need far more pics to live vicariously through your efforts!

Muchly thankitudes.

Jul 22, 2018 at 5:07 AM Post #69 of 186
There are some pretty good discounts during the show and I am considering buying a new pair of headphones. My setup is Mojo/Poly on the go and Hugo 2 at home and connected to my PC.
I currently have the Audeze iSine 20 and Shure's SE846 and listen to all sorts of music.

Any suggestions, especially from people that have a similar setup? Budget is up to £1500;

Cheers,
Nick

Jul 22, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #71 of 186
There are some pretty good discounts during the show and I am considering buying a new pair of headphones. My setup is Mojo/Poly on the go and Hugo 2 at home and connected to my PC.
I currently have the Audeze iSine 20 and Shure's SE846 and listen to all sorts of music.

Any suggestions, especially from people that have a similar setup? Budget is up to £1500;

Cheers,
Nick

I have a mojo/Poly combo and the Shure 846 (blue filter). I also have a set of JH Audio Roxanne II FMJs and they're even better than the Shures. Clearer, with better separation and tighter bass. I use the Shures for my commute and the JHAs for desk based or home listening. I would demo those while you're there.

I was planning on going this year to demo the top end IEMs (64 Audio Tia Fourte, UE Reference, and CA Vega) to see if they could improve on the JHAs, but I wasn't able to make it. If you demo those, report back please! :)

Jul 22, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #72 of 186
I have a mojo/Poly combo and the Shure 846 (blue filter). I also have a set of JH Audio Roxanne II FMJs and they're even better than the Shures. Clearer, with better separation and tighter bass. I use the Shures for my commute and the JHAs for desk based or home listening. I would demo those while you're there.

I was planning on going this year to demo the top end IEMs (64 Audio Tia Fourte, UE Reference, and CA Vega) to see if they could improve on the JHAs, but I wasn't able to make it. If you demo those, report back please! :)

Will do! I will make sure to check out the Roxanne even though I am very unlikely to buy another pair of IEMs.

Much more interested in over ears to replace my recently sold Focal Clears.

Jul 22, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #75 of 186
How busy it atm? Seems a little quieter/less buzz than last year?

It was pretty quiet until about 2.30, but this was my first canjam so I can’t compare to previous years. This meant it was easy to get to listen to everything I wanted too.

Highlight iems were VE erlkonig switched position 3, 64audio a6t and most exciiting/ best sounding of all, a prototype from EE.

The closest I came to flexing my credit card was for the effect audio Janus dynamique cable... wow what a cable and possibly the perfect partner for a18t, taming the top end excesses while substantially adding body, texture and definition to each section of the frequency range... $1499 dollars -10% show discount was till not quite enough to tempt me into debt today, but that’s more about the emptiness of my pockets than a comment as the VFM of the cable.

Other than it was great to meet the manufacturers in person and I hope it was busy enough to make it worhwhile holding the event again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back