CanJam London 2018 Impressions Thread (July 21-22, 2018)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 22, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #76 of 186
Much more interested in over ears to replace my recently sold Focal Clears.
Depending on your sound signature of choice - I would highly recommend Mr. Speakers (Ether Flow / AEON Flow. Both have open and closed versions) and ZMF (Atticus / Eikon / Auteur)...

Jul 22, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #78 of 186
Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #80 of 186
Jul 22, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #81 of 186
Yes, he mentioned that to me. I wanted to buy them but ended up walking away with the Focal Utopias.

I got a pretty sweet deal- 2900 with the official stand and an extended warranty (2–>4 years); I also won the iSine 10 as I won the raffle:))))
Did you buy a lottery ticket??

Jul 22, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #82 of 186
Did you buy a lottery ticket??

No, just had to spin the wheel of fortune, win something small and subscribe to their newsletter to be entered into the raffle.

So lucky!

Jul 22, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #83 of 186
Yes, a big USB powerbank will last for a typical international flight. Though if you fly business class or better, you probably have power at your seat. Rob said he's got about 50 hours of M Scaler flight time now...

Yeah, he probably flies First Class and I'm sure there are power outlets.

Jul 22, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #85 of 186

Highlight iems were VE erlkonig switched position 3, 64audio a6t and most exciiting/ best sounding of all, a prototype from EE.

:)

Do you have more infos please about this prototype ? Availability date ? Name ? Price ? ....

Thanks in advance

Jul 22, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #86 of 186
A nice day at CanJam, with unexpected results.

Went in with the idea of hearing a new amp for my Audeze LCD-3's, as I feel they sometimes struggle a little with my current one. I remembered seeing a few LCD-3's around CanJam last year so my focus was to go in and see what they had paired them with and hear different combinations.

The LCD-3's were a lot less popular this year (I think I saw one only, connected to a DAP?) so I ended up listening to a lot of other stuff instead.

A whole host of DAC/Amps from several vendors. I skipped those as I don't need a new DAC, but for those on the look for an integrated DAC/Amp, there were a lot of them around.

My highlights of the day from all the stuff I listened to:

- The new Mezze Empyrean. Those were good, really good. Heard them with the Questyle DAC + dual mono amps rack and with the Feliks Audio tube amp and they sounded amazing, I liked the tube amp more but I really can't point to any defects when powered by the Questyle either. This was at the Mezze suite where you had enough silence to hear them properly, but there was a couple of them at the main floor as well, at hifonix and Manley, where I heard people raving about them as well, so not just my ears. Mezze said they're still trying to lower the price point on those before launch, currently at 3000.

- Abyss Diana. Very dynamic. Show floor was a bit noisy to properly hear them when I was at the booth, but yeah, they're good.

- Manley. And Manley decides to join the headphone world! And what a nice amp it is. Always nice seeing historical hi-fi names jumping on the headphones bandwagon. They feel headphones achieved true hi-fi performance in the last few years and i like when more good people joins the party.

- Rupert Neve. Some will like the "professional" looking design of the RNHP more than others from this iconic studio consoles manufacturer, but truth is, a Rupert Neve will never be bad sounding. Thought and designed for studio applications the idea is that it just disappears in the sound for you to forget it is there, and it achieves that. At £450. A steal.

- Mr. Speakers - It's always nice to hear Mr. Speakers cans, and chat with Mr. Speakers himself. The closed Aeons were sounding lovely with the Schiit they had connected to them.

- 1More - I was curious to hear the over-ear triple drivers. I own both the triple and quad driver IEMs, so wanted to check the big sibling. They didn't disappoint, but I have no need for another over-ear pair of cans. What surprised me was the upcoming triple driver bluetooth IEMs that I also tried. Keeping my eye on those ones as they sound just like their wired predecessors.

- Stealth Sonics - Audiology/Hearing Aid devices company from Singapore that decided to expand to the headphone market, since they had the technology already, anyway. Their range has 3 models: The U2, dual driver hybrid; the U4, with a 4 driver balanced armature configuration; and the U9, the 9 driver hybrid beast. All of these models are also available in custom make, molded to your ear, named the C2, C4 and C9.
The U2 is the warmer of them all, with the stronger bass, so for bass fans, the U2 is the thing. Going up to the U4, it's more precise, it's really fast and the punch is something else. I'm not a bass head but I missed a bit of bass there, they were, however, very transparent, you could catch every little detail, and did I mention how fast they are? Finally the U9, these were designed for studio monitoring and I believe they are the best of both worlds, they sound effortless, they have that smoothness of the U2 bass without the U2's exaggeration (told you I'm not a bass head) together with that transparency and clarity in the mid-highs of the U4. Very, very, very nice.
I have more than enough IEM's already, so what I don't need is another pair, otherwise I would have gone for them. But I already have Nobles, Hifi mans, Sennheisers, 1Mores and no time to rotate between them all.

Oh, who am I kidding?! They are so nice I couldn't resist them!
I'm listening to those U9's at home right now! :ksc75smile:

Oh, right, I went in search of an amp. I sometimes get distracted.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #87 of 186
There are some pretty good discounts during the show and I am considering buying a new pair of headphones. My setup is Mojo/Poly on the go and Hugo 2 at home and connected to my PC.
I currently have the Audeze iSine 20 and Shure's SE846 and listen to all sorts of music.

Any suggestions, especially from people that have a similar setup? Budget is up to £1500;

Cheers,
Nick
shure elecrostatic 1500 or 1200
unbelievably good
JRF

Jul 22, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #88 of 186
Did Audeze have a Mobius on hand for demo's?

Jul 22, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #90 of 186
At the launch TT2 and M Scaler were side by side, where it was really obvious [that they were different finishes]. Rob said that M Scaler was "production" (though there was a spelling mistake in the "window", which by the way isn't a porthole to show the inner workings).

The patterning is another clear difference, but I wasn't referring to that.

Thanks for the confirmation. I wholeheartedly agree with you that the casework finishes should match the rest of the lineup, especially considering the M-Scaler has to be used in conjunction.

@Mojo ideas John, can you confirm if the casework finishes on the TT2 and M-Scaler are indeed different? I appreciate the information as I will be purchasing both when they are available.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back