CanJam London 2018 Impressions Thread (July 21-22, 2018)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #31 of 186
So lets kick off with couple of Pre CJ photos and mini impression of Hifiman Shangri-La Jr.
I had a opportunity to spent some time with Shangri-La Jr. and compare it to Senior HPs on the same Jr. amp.
Fed by Cayin i5 with a selectionof my music
-I was extremely lucky as it was dead quiet during the setting up.
Longer impression to come but after 20+ min of listening and comparing:

Shangri-La Jr. as a package is very impressive - all the goodness of electrostatics and very musical
HPs on it own are very well build and really light!
In comparison to Senior HP a bit tad forward where Serion is more laid back
both seems to be different approach to the same favour. Both but especially Senior has
vocals to die for and surprisingly even low res files sounds enjoyable.
I would be happy with both ;l]]]

And I heard somebody whispering that it would be possible to buy HPs and Amp separately !!!
Good news for owners of others electrostatics I would say.

F8hjs4ml.jpg

mG0cYr2l.jpg

cDO8wpPl.jpg

That's interesting, an Cayin i5 as source to the HiFiman electrostatic system, but I guess being able to use music pieces that you are familiar make a lot of different.

I did something like that back in 2016 CamJam SoCal, Dr Fang used HM901 as source to his first generation Shangri-La demo, and I requested to change to my Cayin N6 because I want to listen to these important product with my own playlist. I am glad that the HiFiman team was very accommodative all along.

I have compared the Shangri-La and Shangri-La Jr like what you did in a previous show, and I asked Andy Regan the price of Shangri-La Jr again and again. I told him that the price doesn't seems right because the Jr was so close to the senior in a lot of area, $8K is a steal when compare to the Shangri-La full system.:beerchug::beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 21, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #32 of 186
That's interesting, an Cayin i5 as source to the HiFiman electrostatic system, but I guess being able to use music pieces that you are familiar make a lot of different.

Andy
That's what I had on hand with my music - there was Chord Dave and R2R2000 provided but I opted for music I know very well;]
I tried both Dave and R2R - but just so and all the music was unfamiliar so didn't do any comparing.
Will be back tomorrow and bring more music on USB stick hopefully will be able to play it through Dave.

$8K is a steal when compare to the Shangri-La full system.:beerchug::beerchug:

I think I will agree with you on that one ;]]]]

Jul 21, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #36 of 186
Not really a lot for me to say today as I was mostly catching up with people, however at the other end of the scale, FiiO could well have a winner with their upcoming BTR3 Bluetooth receiver, sounds great.

That being said, my impulsive nature (bolstered by a great sound quality) helped me to pick up a Shanling M0 - absolutely awesome for my use as an (LDAC) Bluetooth receiver, a steal at twice the price, especially when considering that it doubles up as a DAP!

Jul 21, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #37 of 186
Anybody can ask Chord about the compatibility between M-Scaler and Hugo2?
Thanks headfiers!
The Hugo 2 was compatible with the Blu mk2, through the 3.5mm digital coax to dual BNC. My guess would be same thing can happen with the M-Scaler and Hugo 2. Finding a 3.mm to dual BNC wasn't easy to find without running a lot of adapters.

Jul 21, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #38 of 186
The Hugo 2 was compatible with the Blu mk2, through the 3.5mm digital coax to dual BNC. My guess would be same thing can happen with the M-Scaler and Hugo 2. Finding a 3.mm to dual BNC wasn't easy to find without running a lot of adapters.

I asked Rob Watts and the answer was yes.

Jul 21, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #41 of 186
I'll be attended tomorrow, I couldn't make it today (it's my birthday). It will be my first CanJam, really excited to try some new gear!
Nice day after birthday treat, seeing all the nice headphones tomorrow!
I asked Rob Watts and the answer was yes.
Nice, I had a guy back earlier this year get the Blu Mk2 for his Hugo 2 and I asked around a bunch of the cable makers we work with a compatible cable and got varying results. He eventually got a Dave so it all worked out in the end.

Jul 21, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #42 of 186
Sad to say, I found CanJam London 2018 distinctly underwhelming. No inspirational high end demos. Last year we had the Sennhiesser HE1, MSB, Smyth Realiser. This year no Sennhiesser presence not even distributors and this when there are new products. 660 and 820.

No Noble Audio. A key player in both custom and increasingly, universal in ear markets. This makes me suspect that London is seen as a poor relation to the Far East as a worthwhile market.

Seminars were highly technical which is great for those that are so inclined but in terms of fostering an emotional bond with this hobby not so much so. In fact it was the enthusiast aspect that is sorely lacking IMHO. No enthusiast gear tables. All corporate. I am interested in purchasing a DAP but two of the three manufacturers that I approached could not have been less interested in selling, did not know basic information about their products and showed no passion. CanJam has to do better or it will wither.

Jul 21, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #44 of 186
Most captivating sound for me in order of preference and value for money: Hugo2 TT with M scaler through Focal Utopia, Xl Audio Formula S through Abyss AB-1266 Phi CC, Shangri La Jr through Shangri La HP

Having said that, any critical listening was virtually impossible during the show because of the constant background noise. I wonder to what extend this might be adressed in future shows as most of the nuances in performance that you d expect to hear and compare for components of that level is lost like tears in the rain...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back