Can it be done?? I can't be the first to think of this. What am I missing??
Aug 4, 2010 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

JoeyRusso

500+ Head-Fier
First, I must admit, I didn't search for similar threads and I know I haven't read every thread out there, so maybe I've missed something along the way, but maybe someone can explain something to me.

There are single, dual and triple Balanced Armature universal IEM's out there in abundance and customs add even more drivers.  There are single and even dual Dynamic driver IEM's out there and I believe I've even read about a hybrid Moving Armature.  So why hasn't anyone put them together to create the ultimate universal IEM?  Is there something I'm missing??  Is there no way to combine them in one housing with a crossover?

Now, I've only owned one BA (ER-4P), but the way I've heard and read, BA's do a great job with the Highs and Mids (CK10, SM3, ER4S/P, etc.) and Dynamics are usually known for more impressive bass (MTPG/C, IE8, Hippo, etc.).  So why not produce a double or triple driver IEM with BA's handling the highs and upper mids and a dynamic handling the lower mids and bass?

Can it be done??  Should it be done??  Has it been tried?? (maybe I missed something)  What do you think??

Aug 4, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #2 of 24
The moving armature is that attempt to do just that.  EQ7 and GR8 are the only ones to my knowledge.  Trying to do a true dynamic and BA would result in something even more monstrous than the TF10.  Go for headphones at that point.

Aug 4, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #3 of 24
Aug 4, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #4 of 24

Quote:
The moving armature is that attempt to do just that.  EQ7 and GR8 are the only ones to my knowledge.  Trying to do a true dynamic and BA would result in something even more monstrous than the TF10.  Go for headphones at that point.

I don't think that combining them into one driver (moving armature), is the equivalent.  I think having both types in one housing could be more effective. 

So, you think it's a question of the size of the housing?? Hmm..

I wonder if there would be enough room in a housing like the SM3, Shure 530/535 or the Westone W3/UM3X, if you remove one of the BA's.  I'm not sure how much space each driver type requires to be ported properly.  That may be the limiting factor.  

Aug 4, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #5 of 24
Aug 4, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #6 of 24

Quote:
The specs show: Two precision balanced armatures.. not one balanced armature and one dynamic driver..

It's a dynamic and an armature. Not sure why they put the wrong specs on the site.

Aug 4, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #7 of 24

Quote:
It's a dynamic and an armature. Not sure why they put the wrong specs on the site.

According to who?  Its a two driver version of the TF10.

Aug 4, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #8 of 24
According to everyone who knows them and also according to UE :http://ultimateears.com/products/superfi-5-eb#features
Two driver version of the TF10 are the Super Fi5Pro, with 2 balanced armatures.

Aug 4, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #9 of 24

Quote:
According to who?  Its a two driver version of the TF10.

Kobayashi's remolded Ebs:

The Super.fi 5 Pro is the one with 2 armatures.

Aug 4, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #10 of 24

Quote:

Copy and paste?? Tired programmer??  LOL

Ok, that answers a few questions. It can and has been done.  I'll have to search out reviews on them.  I wonder if they would benefit from a crossover instead of the filter.  At first glance, the "EB" and "subwoofer" labels might make me look elsewhere.  I wouldn't necessarily want the bass extended.  I'd like to hear the highs and mids of the Ety's or the CK10? (haven't heard them yet) blended with the bass of the Copper's or another dynamic. 

Aug 4, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #11 of 24
Nitpick: technically the the 5pro was out years before the triple.fi, so more a predecessor than a 'version'. I so want to try a remolded EB, any reviews?

Aug 5, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #12 of 24

Quote:
According to everyone who knows them and also according to UE :http://ultimateears.com/products/superfi-5-eb#features
Two driver version of the TF10 are the Super Fi5Pro, with 2 balanced armatures.

Gotcha, couldn't find anything about them other than your current link.  Thx.  I think the review on Headfonia commented the stark contrast between the two drivers was too stark to make music that enjoyable.

Headfonia:

"I briefly listened to the SuperFi 5 EB (extra bass), it sounds like if someone has taken the SuperFi 5 Pro and boosted the mid and upper bass by 8dB. To be frank, I really couldn’t enjoy the sound of the EB. It sounds like a design proposed by the marketing department, and is really one of the worst implementation of a bassy IEM."

Aug 5, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #13 of 24
I'm not sure you really want to try the EB :) It never got popular here for good reason.

Aug 5, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #14 of 24

Quote:
First, I must admit, I didn't search for similar threads and I know I haven't read every thread out there, so maybe I've missed something along the way, but maybe someone can explain something to me.

There are single, dual and triple Balanced Armature universal IEM's out there in abundance and customs add even more drivers.  There are single and even dual Dynamic driver IEM's out there and I believe I've even read about a hybrid Moving Armature.  So why hasn't anyone put them together to create the ultimate universal IEM?  Is there something I'm missing??  Is there no way to combine them in one housing with a crossover?

Now, I've only owned one BA (ER-4P), but the way I've heard and read, BA's do a great job with the Highs and Mids (CK10, SM3, ER4S/P, etc.) and Dynamics are usually known for more impressive bass (MTPG/C, IE8, Hippo, etc.).  So why not produce a double or triple driver IEM with BA's handling the highs and upper mids and a dynamic handling the lower mids and bass?

Can it be done??  Should it be done??  Has it been tried?? (maybe I missed something)  What do you think??

This is somewhat of a misconception with BA's. My SM3's output a much richer, deeper, more controlled bass than I had with my IE8's.

I don't think it's necessary to combine different technologies to produce the "ultimate" IEM. It's sort of like trying to drive an F-1 car with a Rolls Royce interior. Rather, I am not saying it's impossible to produce such a dual/triple/quadruple hybrid IEM--but is it necessary when 97-99% (or even 100% and greater) of that sonic quality can be achieved with a single, thoroughly researched and designed technology? I for one, don't think so.

Aug 5, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #15 of 24
IIRC, I read something over at erji.net about a Chinese custom maker who just launched a new dynamic + BA hybrid custom IEM about two months ago. There is also a Japanese custom maker who might launch a new hybrid IEM before the end of the year as well. Maybe shigzeo may know about the detail since he knows more about the Japanese market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back