1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Can Fiio X1 drive the OPPO PM-3?

1. gunsxxroses
    Hi, this is my first post so I'll apologize for any bad question formatting in advance.

I am new to the audiophile community, so I guess I am totally new to tech. I decided to upgrade my current listening from casual appreciation of mp3 files on my iphone 5s to lossless files. Because of the storage needed I wanted a portable setup as I am always on the move. I have purchased a Fiio X1(1st gen) player and am also planning to purchase a pair of oppo pm-3 cans. The reviews for the pm-3 are split between positive and underwhelming, but for a good pair of neutral portable cans, the oppo's suit me (largely because of my eclectic music taste). I have noticed in many reviews that, despite the low impedance of 26 ohms, the pm-3 actually takes a bit more juice to drive in order to make the sound really "shine".

I am currently looking at either the Fiio e17k or the e18 as options for a portable dac/amp to go along with the x1 and pm-3. Before I spend the money however, I was wondering if those more knowledgeable than me could tell me whether the x1 can drive the pm-3 by itself? Also, even if it can, would the sound benefit through the use of a portable dac/amp? I'd also love portable dac/amp suggestions besides the e17k and e18, simply my budget is around $100 or I would have just went for the HA-2 pairing.

Thanks in advance!

2. cossix
    With a 102db sensitivity and 26?ohms, I'd say the FiiO could make them sound d decent, although I'd still recommend an amp anyway. The A5 may be going on sale for Black Friday, one of the best portable amps around a hundred dollars, especially if it gets marked down

3. gunsxxroses
    Thanks for the clear feedback and recommendation. I will definitely look into the A5 during BF. Do you know where specifically there may be a sale?