Campfire - Solaris
Oct 19, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #10,397 of 12,035
Better than the questyle? I have a qp2r on a 3.5 cable and was wondering if I should upgrade the cable to a 2.5 or try the paw s1

Yes. The Questyle is about on par with my n6ii + E02 and I prefer the S1 a wee bit. The interface (physical and software) of the QP2R was a nightmare and essentially rendered the thin unusable for me.

Oct 19, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #10,398 of 12,035
For those of you who have the Solaris 2020: Do you guys have another IEM that you use to complement it?

I currently have the Andromeda Gold + the Solaris 2020, and I feel the only thing I might enjoy more about the AG is maybe the fit. The Solaris 2020 almost makes it redundant and I am kind of considering selling mine off or trading it toward something else). Lol I really want to like the AG (and I do), but so far the Solaris has been more satisfying to listen to.

Oct 20, 2020 at 12:32 AM Post #10,399 of 12,035
Yes. The Questyle is about on par with my n6ii + E02 and I prefer the S1 a wee bit. The interface (physical and software) of the QP2R was a nightmare and essentially rendered the thin unusable for me.

Agree that the interface is terrible. I just use it as a dac on my laptop anyway. Just wanted to see if it was worth switching to the S1

Oct 20, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #10,401 of 12,035
For those of you who have the Solaris 2020: Do you guys have another IEM that you use to complement it?

I currently have the Andromeda Gold + the Solaris 2020, and I feel the only thing I might enjoy more about the AG is maybe the fit. The Solaris 2020 almost makes it redundant and I am kind of considering selling mine off or trading it toward something else). Lol I really want to like the AG (and I do), but so far the Solaris has been more satisfying to listen to.
Ultimately i think this will come down to what sort of tonality you are looking for as a complement to the 2020.
You can see my sig for what I have now, all of which I think complement the 2020 for different reasons.
From what I have owned in the past, I would also say the U12t and Valk are good options to consider (I also owned the Andromeda Special Edition Gold and IMHO found the U12t to be an upgrade to it in almost every way) - again, i think it ultimately depends on what sound sig/tonality you want, so I’m sort of stabbing in the dark :)

Oct 20, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #10,402 of 12,035

Like others have said it depends on what sort of sound you're looking for to complement it. The Solaris is very nicely balanced it so if you're after a complement you could go for something more reference like (Ara, u12t) or something more "fun" (Legend X or maybe the "about to be released" Vega 2020). I don't have much experience with the Andromeda Gold but I found the 2020 Andromeda to be a nice complement.

Oct 20, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #10,403 of 12,035
Like others have said it depends on what sort of sound you're looking for to complement it. The Solaris is very nicely balanced it so if you're after a complement you could go for something more reference like (Ara, u12t) or something more "fun" (Legend X or maybe the "about to be released" Vega 2020). I don't have much experience with the Andromeda Gold but I found the 2020 Andromeda to be a nice complement.

Yeah I really don't have any complaints about the Solaris, but would like something to add a bit of variety. I was looking at something like the IER-Z1R but am concerned about the fit since many people say it's on the larger side. I did recently get the chance to demo the Andro 2020 and I did enjoy it, but didn't feel like it was too different (to my ears at least) compared to the AG. Good point about the Legend X and Vega 2020 though - I think I'd enjoy something with a "fun" sound, so I'll probably try to demo both of them at some point. The Vega 2020 seems promising, but I'll wait for some reviews before making any plans to buy it.

Alternatively, the itch to try something new might fade and I'll end up keeping what I have haha.

Oct 20, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #10,404 of 12,035
I've still yet to hear the Solaris SE, and I feel the only way to do so is buying it :frowning2:

I liked my OG, but sold it off in February because IER-M9 was a bit better to my ears. Since then, I've acquired Andro S, Nio, Andro 2020, MEST and U12T and still have the SE haunting me.

You're in Canada too right? I think you're friend's with titi? Shoot me a PM if ever you're interested in doing an exchange/ audiotion for a couple weeks :)

Can you please compare the MEST to the OG Solaris? Considering the custom MEST. Thanks!

Oct 20, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #10,405 of 12,035

For what it's worth, I still love my qp2r (using 2.5 balanced), so much so that the software and scroll wheel were totally fine with me. But then the 2.5 jack came loose and it's impossible to get it repaired in the US, so I moved on to DX220, which is overall a nicer experience, but I've yet to find anything that touches the qp2r's sound. I have not yet tried the S1 though.

Oct 21, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #10,406 of 12,035
D9EDFBAA-4BD2-4909-BDDF-5359A34E42E0.png
E6ABE54C-961D-45CA-831B-A9C3166E8B32.jpeg

Oct 21, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #10,408 of 12,035
This might be a big statement:

To me, my MacBook Air (2020) paired with the Solaris 2020 pairs beautifully. More so then with my A&K SR25. Is this normal to say? Everything sounds so much more fuller with more warmth, bass and emotion with amazing dynamics.

My SR25 sounds sadly flat in comparison, vey analytical to my ears.

Could I be the only one who agrees with this?

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #10,409 of 12,035

To me, my MacBook Air (2020) paired with the Solaris 2020 pairs beautifully. More so then with my A&K SR25. Is this normal to say? Everything sounds so much more fuller with more warmth, bass and emotion with amazing dynamics.

Nah not just you. The solaris is a pretty flat sounding iem, so I found it pairs better with warmer sources. In my case I preferred the lotoo paw s1 with the solaris over the cayin n6ii.

Oct 21, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #10,410 of 12,035

Yup, after selling my only dap (ak sp1000m), i've been using the solaris se with an apple dongle attached to iphone8+ ever since, and could say similar results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back