Campfire - Solaris
Sep 15, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #10,096 of 12,035
The Solaris 2020 has plenty of bass when combined with the right source and cable. I have no issue with the WM1A with MrWalkmans firmware and DHC Clone Silver balanced. On the tracks that have bass it's present and deep. On my CD rip to FLAC of NIN Down In It, you can feel the opening bass.

Whatever I get from CF will be driven out of a ZX507, so this is interesting

Sep 15, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #10,097 of 12,035
The Solaris 2020 has plenty of bass when combined with the right source and cable. I have no issue with the WM1A with MrWalkmans firmware and DHC Clone Silver balanced. On the tracks that have bass it's present and deep. On my CD rip to FLAC of NIN Down In It, you can feel the opening bass.
Yea I think thats likely relative. I personally just didn't find it adequate. Sources did seem to matter. My cayin n6ii/e01 was lacking a bit, but the lotoo paw s1 was a bit better there.

Still wouldnt consider it plenty of bass though. Present and deep are not quite the same as plenty. And for my personal needs/wants, it just wasnt really close to the level I look for, and it overall didnt quite give me that warmth and physicality I crave. And as the person I was responding to specifically mentioned the z1r, well, the solaris really really doesnt come close in terms of bass quantity.

Sep 15, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #10,098 of 12,035
Yea I think thats likely relative. I personally just didn't find it adequate. Sources did seem to matter. My cayin n6ii/e01 was lacking a bit, but the lotoo paw s1 was a bit better there.

Still wouldnt consider it plenty of bass though. Present and deep are not quite the same as plenty. And for my personal needs/wants, it just wasnt really close to the level I look for, and it overall didnt quite give me that warmth and physicality I crave. And as the person I was responding to specifically mentioned the z1r, well, the solaris really really doesnt come close in terms of bass quantity.

Solaris is not for people which looking for a “basshead” iem . With the T01 form cayin the bass is good also impactful if it’s in the track . But there are definitely “options” which have a lot more yes . But it has its own strengths . Looking forward for tomorrow to finally also listen the z1r , that one was on my list for long

Sep 15, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #10,099 of 12,035
“Plenty of bass” depends to what you compare it too . :wink: but I would also not say that it’s lacking at the 2020

I certainly don't find the bass lacking in the Solaris 2020 and I've owned the EE Legend X. If that or the EE Bravado is your idea of good bass quantity then the Solaris might not suit. It's definitely tighter and less "present" but also not like the LX and Bravado in being so "macho" about announcing it's presence. That said, I found both the LX and Bravado very fun but limiting in music genres and frankly they sometimes ruined things with the amount of bass.
The Solaris for me is more versatile and better balanced.

The Solaris 2020 has plenty of bass when combined with the right source and cable.

And this to me makes a fair bit of difference too. I just changed cables and I'm guessing the impedance change really brought out the bass but in a very fast and controlled way with no bloat at all.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #10,100 of 12,035
I certainly don't find the bass lacking in the Solaris 2020 and I've owned the EE Legend X. If that or the EE Bravado is your idea of good bass quantity then the Solaris might not suit. It's definitely tighter and less "present" but also not like the LX and Bravado in being so "macho" about announcing it's presence. That said, I found both the LX and Bravado very fun but limiting in music genres and frankly they sometimes ruined things with the amount of bass.
The Solaris for me is more versatile and better balanced.

And this to me makes a fair bit of difference too. I just changed cables and I'm guessing the impedance change really brought out the bass but in a very fast and controlled way with no bloat at all.

that’s why I named Nio . It’s has more bass as Solaris but less than legend x . And a full sound , cause he didn’t liked thin sound .

i also didn’t say that the bass is lacking in the 2020 but there are just iems which have more slam . Nio is also adjustable in quantity per apex modules .

Sep 15, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #10,101 of 12,035
Solaris is not for people which looking for a “basshead” iem . With the T01 form cayin the bass is good also impactful if it’s in the track . But there are definitely “options” which have a lot more yes . But it has its own strengths . Looking forward for tomorrow to finally also listen the z1r , that one was on my list for long
I dont really consider myself a basshead as I dont like bass if it comes at the expense of mids and treble. But, I definitely like a healthy dose of bass.

I also really didn't mean to imply the solaris was bad. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It just wasnt to my preferences, and a lot of that had to do with its bass presence, or for me, that it lacked a bit in that area. Again, to my preferences.

And again, in response to the other user, based on their post, I think maybe both the solaris and andromeda would likely be lacking there.

Also didnt want to specifically say the Nio, but I agree it might be a better choice (it also happens to be my personal favorite right now). Though if that user thinks the z1r was overpriced, I am guessing the nio would also likely be considered overpriced as technically it may be outperformed by others in the near $2k price bracket, though I think it does excel at what it does, if a thick warm sound is desired.

Sep 15, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #10,102 of 12,035
that’s why I named Nio . It’s has more bass as Solaris but less than legend x . And a full sound , cause he didn’t liked thin sound .

i also didn’t say that the bass is lacking in the 2020 but there are just iems which have more slam . Nio is also adjustable in quantity per apex modules .

Didn't mean to imply you found it lacking (as you clearly say you didn't) just giving some comparatives to the two bassiest iems I've heard.

I find it interesting that many don't seem to give the Solaris 2020 credit for it's technical abilities or rather maybe it's just not mentioned as a strength. I haven't heard the Z1R but I have owned the U12t twice and I think that the Solaris 2020 is every bit as technically capable as the U12t and in fact I find it's lower treble, upper mids (?) clearer. There is a life like quality to the Solaris that the U12t couldn't match to my ears. Vocals, to me, are particularly better in the Solaris 2020.
This injects a lot of the "fun" factor into them and really gets me into the music.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #10,103 of 12,035
Whatever I get from CF will be driven out of a ZX507, so this is interesting
Have Solaris and zx507. Amount of bss has increased over the weeks I've had the zx507. For the first few weeks I was adding bass via eq. I work 12hr shifts and have the dap running about 11 of those 12hrs. I also sleep listening to it, so my player runs A LOT. anyway about a month into use, I noticed the bass seemingly a little much. I thought it may just be a particular song, but since then I've noticed I keep the eq on flat, but leave direct source off. More 3d holographic sound.

Sep 16, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #10,104 of 12,035
Have Solaris and zx507. Amount of bss has increased over the weeks I've had the zx507. For the first few weeks I was adding bass via eq. I work 12hr shifts and have the dap running about 11 of those 12hrs. I also sleep listening to it, so my player runs A LOT. anyway about a month into use, I noticed the bass seemingly a little much. I thought it may just be a particular song, but since then I've noticed I keep the eq on flat, but leave direct source off. More 3d holographic sound.

Could be related to burn in? Sony admits the sound changes as those units go through their first few hundred hours. All good otherwise?

Sep 16, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #10,105 of 12,035
Still wouldnt consider it plenty of bass though.

What constitutes "plenty" in terms of bass is one of the most subjective factors in a hobby largely defined by subjectivity-- everyone has different tolerances, preferences and listening habits. I would also say that the Solaris has plenty of bass, but I would only say this to people I know whose tolerance and demand for bass is similar to my own. You are not the only one who finds its bass lacking, and there are also many who find it too much. This is the Solaris thread so it shouldn't be surprising to find here a preponderance of people (like myself) who feel its "just right".

if a thick warm sound is desired.

I would never personally consider the bass on the Solaris thin-- but I don't think the signature on the whole is "thick and warm". Part of the appeal and I think the point of the Andromeda DNA within the Solaris is that it gives the overall a sense of air and space but grounded in the solidity of he DD bass, which is ever present but never the focus.

This injects a lot of the "fun" factor into them and really gets me into the music.

Indeed. When I look back at what kept drawing me back to Solaris over all the other IEMs I've owned I would say above all it's the well defined sense of 3-d space, imaging and separation. This is always the first thing I notice when I put them on after being away from them for an amount of time and what, for me, is their most engaging quality.

Sep 16, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #10,106 of 12,035
I have an OG Solaris and have been waiting for the tolerance to a reduced level of bass (for me) to be acceptable. This is coming from a Tux5, though. Cable rolling hasn't affected the quantity of bass as much as I had hoped. I will try them with the AMP1Mk2 to see if there's any difference.

I like the mids and treble so much on the Solaris that I am looking to buy a warmer source just for them. That is a first.

I did think about a Cayin N6ii (I did a review earlier this year) but am looking towards a more static / desktop source as I don't use any of my expensive gear outside.

What would people here consider to be a an IEM that would approach the Solaris mids/treble but with a little more bass heft?

Sep 16, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #10,107 of 12,035
I have an OG Solaris and have been waiting for the tolerance to a reduced level of bass (for me) to be acceptable. This is coming from a Tux5, though. Cable rolling hasn't affected the quantity of bass as much as I had hoped. I will try them with the AMP1Mk2 to see if there's any difference.

I like the mids and treble so much on the Solaris that I am looking to buy a warmer source just for them. That is a first.

I did think about a Cayin N6ii (I did a review earlier this year) but am looking towards a more static / desktop source as I don't use any of my expensive gear outside.

What would people here consider to be a an IEM that would approach the Solaris mids/treble but with a little more bass heft?

Well if you have $4500 lying around there's the Thummim :)

If you want a relatively cheap warm dap, Shanling M6 is a great warm source; on the other end of the spectrum there's the 1Z.

For static-ish, I also recommend the ifi Micro iDSD Black Label, there's also a bass boost option if you really want more.

What cable are you using at the moment?

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #10,108 of 12,035
I have a home made cosmic cables SPC which provides a little more bass depth without losing any treble. The Penon OS849 was a bust. Satin Audio Hyperion was...ok but felt a little blurred over the whole spectrum. Just recieved a TRN T3 which might be interesting.

I have my eye on a Micro BL as the preferred option.

I think I'll put the Tux5 up for sale and save for a U12t.

Sep 16, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #10,109 of 12,035

I have also a ZX507 since yesterday and i am now in the whole sony-burn-in-process :-D

Paired with my Solaris OG it is quite good but i am coming from a Astell&Kern SP1000M and miss a bit of the wide soundstage. Can you may say if this would be better till the whole burn in? Thansk :)

Sep 16, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #10,110 of 12,035
Could be related to burn in? Sony admits the sound changes as those units go through their first few hundred hours. All good otherwise?
I think definitely related to burn in. I was actually trying to describe a positive attribute. The DAP outputs better bass to my Solaris than I previously thought, so I don't have to use eq on it anymore. I love the sound of it. Only "negative" is I now have a Chord Mojo, ifi XDSD, and Monolith Portable DAC/Amp that aren't getting use. 🤣. I love the sound out of the ZX507

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back