Campfire - Solaris
Aug 1, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #9,693 of 12,035
Thanks, the Solaris 2020 came today and I've been listening a couple of hours out of the RME ADI-2 DAC FS . :L3000:

I'll post more impressions (I'm not very good at, nor do I like, describing audio equipment however) after some time with them but I'll just say for now that I'm impressed. They just sound right with everything I've thrown at them so far, a good balanced tonality that works across genres with just enough excitement to not sound boring or clinical but also not over-exaggerating any part of the sound to become artificial and fatiguing in order to be engaging. The bass is very nice too: weighty but not overbearing. They're also very comfortable with the three tips I've tried so far (for the best fit/sound; will try many before I decide on a pair).

Agreed, comfort and fit does exceed the prior edition

Aug 1, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #9,695 of 12,035
I still believe that the SE is the best version. I understand the fit doesn’t work for everyone.
Respectfully disagree, but I understand folks’ affinity for the SE (as you know, I had one).
I think the 2020 has slightly more sub-bass rumble and slightly more extended high mids. And - a better fit.
Not revolutionary vs. the SE, by any means, but an incremental improvement IMO.

Aug 1, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #9,696 of 12,035
Respectfully disagree, but I understand folks’ affinity for the SE (as you know, I had one).
I think the 2020 has slightly more sub-bass rumble and slightly more extended high mids. And - a better fit.
Not revolutionary vs. the SE, by any means, but an incremental improvement IMO.
You would!! Haha yea I also may have had a bad Solaris 2020 based on others impressions of it..

Aug 1, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #9,697 of 12,035
You would!! Haha yea I also may have had a bad Solaris 2020 based on others impressions of it..
that would be unfortunate if true...

Aug 1, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #9,699 of 12,035
When I had both, I felt that they sounded very similar. The only difference I noticed was the slightly fuller bass on the 2020 on higher impedance sources. But that extra bass made the stage feel a little less spacious. They’re both great :) I couldn’t justify owning both given how similar they were though.

Aug 2, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #9,700 of 12,035
Aug 2, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #9,703 of 12,035
Has anyone paired any of the Solaris variants with the Satin Audio Athena cable perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back