Campfire - Solaris
Feb 2, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #7,501 of 12,035
Well, let's forget some of my latest comments on Solaris. I know these unpleasant feels when someone speaks critically about your favorite devices.

Solaris is great earphones and they can become an endgame for anyone. When I first heard this, I experienced true magic. They have brought me a lot of pleasure since then. Solaris has 100500 advantages and only a few drawbacks.

When I talked about compact sound room (like a small box), this was said in comparison with another device. I also have hi-end isodynamic headphones with a huge soundstage, a transparent, lively sound, so my ideas about the size and volume of the soundstage and imaging have changed since when I had only Solaris and I considered their soundstage incredible. This is my personal experience and nothing more. I can be mistaken like any other person, but for me it is true.

Therefore, I just want to stop on the fact that Solaris is a great IEM and I can recommend it to everyone (but it’s better to try it on before you buy, as it may not seem comfortable for everyone). And I would gladly buy a SE if it cost $1000 :)

Feb 2, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #7,503 of 12,035
Well, let's forget some of my latest comments on Solaris. I know these unpleasant feels when someone speaks critically about your favorite devices.

Solaris is great earphones and they can become an endgame for anyone. When I first heard this, I experienced true magic. They have brought me a lot of pleasure since then. Solaris has 100500 advantages and only a few drawbacks.

When I talked about compact sound room (like a small box), this was said in comparison with another device. I also have hi-end isodynamic headphones with a huge soundstage, a transparent, lively sound, so my ideas about the size and volume of the soundstage and imaging have changed since when I had only Solaris and I considered their soundstage incredible. This is my personal experience and nothing more. I can be mistaken like any other person, but for me it is true.

Therefore, I just want to stop on the fact that Solaris is a great IEM and I can recommend it to everyone (but it’s better to try it on before you buy, as it may not seem comfortable for everyone). And I would gladly buy a SE if it cost $1000 :)
For an IEM the Solaris OG or SE has a very large soundstage. However it can't compete with a full size headphone like my MDR-Z1R which like your headphones have a huge soundstage.

Feb 2, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #7,504 of 12,035
However it can't compete with a full size headphone like my MDR-Z1R which like your headphones have a huge soundstage.

Yes, but I compared IER-Z1R vs Solaris when I said about a box.

I just mentioned my full-size headphones, saying that my idea of the big sound stage has changed.

If I compare all these 3 devices (including full-size ones), then Sony is much closer to the sound of full-size headphones than Solaris.

Feb 2, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #7,507 of 12,035
Are we still comparing the Z1R and the Solaris? I thought this discussion would have been over by now.

For what it's worth, I actually prefer the Solaris a little bit more. It's definitely the more versatile IEM, IMO. It matches and surpasses the Z1R in some key areas, but only loses out to the Sony flagship in the lower registers - the Z1R has authoritative, but well-defined bass that remains at the top of the TOTL pile.

However, I find myself reaching for the Solaris a lot more. I'm something of an 80s-90s Pop and Rock music lover, and the golden-clad IEM excels in these genres really, really well. You get the usual blend of top-notch imaging, separation and staging, but you also get a little bit of that nice warmth that brings a sense of lushness and gravitas to vocals.

I wouldn't want to choose between these 2 fantastic earphones, to be frank, and I am fortunate to have them both in my collection. However, with all things considered, the Solaris better fits my personal preferences. I could see how some would love the Z1R's immense ability to produce bass at the finest levels, with some quality treble to boot, but my cup of tea is definitely gold-flavored at the moment.

Feb 2, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #7,508 of 12,035
Hey ladies and gents. I’ve got a like new pair of Solaris for sale and willing to let them go at a generous price. 10/10 condition.
I bought them hoping to downgrade and settle for them, and they are fantastic and conveniently easy to drive, but I’ve decided to keep my prior iem’s.

cheers :)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Feb 3, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #7,510 of 12,035
Hi everybody.
Is it possible to replace mmcx to 2-pin for example?
thank you.

Do you mean re-terminate? Probably. They also make adapters. I have a pair that allow me to run my ALO Silver Litz (mmcx) into my Legend X (2 pin) and they work wonderfully.

Feb 3, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #7,511 of 12,035
Yeah. I know that many people have a bad experience with mmcx after some time.
I’m afraid of it.
I prefer 2-pin because of it.
Pentaconn ear did great termination.
I mean not cable, but connector in Body of Solaris

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #7,512 of 12,035
I’m afraid of it.

Frankly speaking i don't have any problems with campfire's mmcx or any good quality mmcx connectors at all. Been swapping cable numerous times.
What you are saying is to mod your mmcx to 2 pin, by which will need to open up your iem. It will void any warranty if it has any.
As what @Rockwell75 said you could use 2 pin to mmcx adaptors will be a better option than modding it.
Unless you could find someone who have the skills to do it & you will have a one of a kind 2 pin Solaris!:beerchug:

Feb 3, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #7,513 of 12,035
I’m afraid of it.
The MMCX that Campfire uses is much more reliable and sturdier than the early examples were that you are referring too. I never had issue with the MMCX on my Westone W50 or any of my Campfire IEMs.

I've had bad luck with 2-pin IEMs (UE TripleFi) and avoid that design as it is flawed. It is very easy to break a pin on the cable and if you break it in the IEM might might need to crack it open to get the pin out. Also over time the pin sockets loosen up and you lose contact. No thanks.

Feb 5, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #7,514 of 12,035
Joined the club..!!

I agree with all the reviews. Amazing texture/layers/detail with the perfect balance of bass. The SPACE is really hard to explain for an IEM, have to hear it to truely understand. Nothing is prefect, nor does something fit everyone, but wow do these just draw you in hard when listening to them...!!

Odd question, can anyone tell what brand tips are in the little bag with the cleaning tool? They work pretty well at staying in for me. Are fairly shallow and wide bore. Wanting to know the brand or something equivalent so I can try other sizes.

Also looking for recommendations on tips I should buy to tip roll. Symbio w peel tips? Spiral Dot ++ tips? Others.....?

Feb 5, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #7,515 of 12,035
Joined the club..!!

Glad you're enjoying it! It's a pretty special IEM.

I agree with all the reviews. Amazing texture/layers/detail with the perfect balance of bass. The SPACE is really hard to explain for an IEM, have to hear it to truely understand. Nothing is prefect, nor does something fit everyone, but wow do these just draw you in hard when listening to them...!!

Odd question, can anyone tell what brand tips are in the little bag with the cleaning tool? They work pretty well at staying in for me. Are fairly shallow and wide bore. Wanting to know the brand or something equivalent so I can try other sizes.

Also looking for recommendations on tips I should buy to tip roll. Symbio w peel tips? Spiral Dot ++ tips? Others.....?

The tips you're talking about are the CFA stock silicon tips. They were my favorite of the included tips too and based on that I think you should try spiral dots or Azla Sednas...the latter are my current faves...they have a similar shape, width and bore width as the stock silicons but are much nicer tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back