Campfire - Solaris
Aug 21, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #6,061 of 12,035
Hmm.. i got to admit, Qp2R really Hiss in balance jack... in the level where it really disturbs me...
When u listen Solaris with it ? u used impedance Adapter ? it's really a question mark for me ....
I just got my Solaris for about 4 Days and used it with my Sony TA, Hugo 2 and QP2R. And it hisses on every device in that order:
TA < Hugo < QP2R
So I ended up using my ifi IEMatch on every device (I just use the balanced connection; exception of course with Hugo).

Aug 21, 2019 at 2:05 AM Post #6,062 of 12,035
I just got my Solaris for about 4 Days and used it with my Sony TA, Hugo 2 and QP2R. And it hisses on every device in that order:
TA < Hugo < QP2R
So I ended up using my ifi IEMatch on every device (I just use the balanced connection; exception of course with Hugo).
Ouch, I just want something between $1000 and not to crazy that doesn't hiss.

Aug 21, 2019 at 2:20 AM Post #6,063 of 12,035
TA < Hugo < QP2R
Well that sucks...
but if you are planning to stick to what you have... well thats fine.
i hope u tried a decent Hiss Manageable Device, so you can know SOLARIS true potential....

I am not to keen using iFi, except if I watch youtube on any device with Solaris...

Aug 21, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #6,065 of 12,035
Well that sucks...
but if you are planning to stick to what you have... well thats fine.
i hope u tried a decent Hiss Manageable Device, so you can know SOLARIS true potential....

I am not to keen using iFi, except if I watch youtube on any device with Solaris...
It’s ok with the IEMatch so i don’t regret it. The sound from the Solaris is really that good :)

But true, if you want a hiss free IEM the Solaris are some of the worst Monitors.

Aug 21, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #6,066 of 12,035
Fearing my QP2R will fail me out of the blue I've been looking into getting a new DAP to replace it. Was able to try the Kann Cube (SE only) and didn't feel anything special from it during my quick listen. What do you think of the three?

I love the reference sound of the QP2R with the Solaris.
I like the Cube very much. Full featured and future proof with power to drive most headphones. It delivers the music without any real color. I hear no hiss.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #6,068 of 12,035
TA < Hugo < QP2R
What cable are you using?

I'm using the ALO Gold 16 Balanced and hear no hiss on the Sony TA. I only hear hiss on the WM1Z in Hi-Gain at a volume of 100 or more which is an unlistenable volume level. I normally listen anywhere between 40 and 50.

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #6,069 of 12,035
Hello , I've just ordered my Solaris . It was the pick of the bunch for me at CanJam London but my wallet had a hard time justifying a second TOTL iem . Now that I"ve made my decision I'm looking for a decent and not too pricey 4.4mm terminated cable to use with my WM1Z . Any suggestions other than the ALO Litz cable ?

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #6,070 of 12,035
Hello , I've just ordered my Solaris . It was the pick of the bunch for me at CanJam London but my wallet had a hard time justifying a second TOTL iem . Now that I"ve made my decision I'm looking for a decent and not too pricey 4.4mm terminated cable to use with my WM1Z . Any suggestions other than the ALO Litz cable ?
Fiio LC4.4D pure silver

Aug 21, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #6,072 of 12,035
What cable are you using?

I'm using the ALO Gold 16 Balanced and hear no hiss on the Sony TA. I only hear hiss on the WM1Z in Hi-Gain at a volume of 100 or more which is an unlistenable volume level. I normally listen anywhere between 40 and 50.
It is the ALO Litz 2.5 cable. And the hiss is not that loud as with Hugo or even QP2R but it’s still noticeable for me.

Aug 21, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #6,073 of 12,035
I see... ok. Here is my field Impression based on my experienced:

N6ii and DX221mk2 are same mid centric.

Soundwise, DX221mk2 more reference (flat) then N6ii.
N6ii felt warm signature if compare to DX221mk2.

DX221mk2 Mid / Vocal, capable to give more micro detail in Lo & Hi Mid.

N6ii, handle Hiss better then DX221mk2 (With Solaris).

GUI, N6ii run smooth and more fluid then DX221MK2

Low volume dynamic feels still DX221MK2 better then N6ii (my preference Cup of tea)

So IMO, is now matter of your ear and usage preference...
FYI, I am a CAYIN fanatic also, ex user N5iiS and dreamer of N8. Love those Warm CAYIN sound Sig...
but I stick to what I have right now...

Is it feasible for Cayin to produce such modular dacs. The trend of many companies output new models on a consistent basis with different chassis, amp sections and dac chips.

Having modular sounds very good in the marketing department, but negates profit margin to charge larger for initial costs of "newer/fresher" models. As you know "we" all love new toys to search for audio nirvana :)

My little A&K SR15 sound quite nice but I'm patiently waiting to see what they make next. NO Hiss audible to my aging ear drums. The SR15 is certainly not in the category of the Kann Cube sound but the SR15 is ridiculously tiny with "barely acceptable" battery life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back