Campfire - Solaris
Mar 20, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #4,246 of 12,035
There's something interesting going on versus the HD650. The bass sucks, there's no other way of putting it. But, there's something going on in the highs that is better on the Solaris and makes the sound engaging in its own right. Far from justifying the price but definitely worth attention.

Mar 20, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #4,247 of 12,035
I think I'm getting a decent fit from one of the wide pairs which I was avoiding as the narrower bores are supposed to improve/increase bass. Wire tucked in behind the ears. Mediocre sound at best, definitely bass light. There's not a single quality that stands out, perhaps for maybe some sizzle in the highs which is kind of nice? The HD650 is unquestionably better. This is decent sound for an earbud, definitely better than the $10 and $80 **** I've been using but $1500, o my God!! Wow!

I'll burn in the words burn in on my stomach if things improve dramatically enough over the next week.

I dunno man I shudder to think what you're used to if these sound mediocre to you (though I say this as someone who doesn't like full sized cans). If I were you I'd keep playing with tips and positioning to see if that's not the problem. Or maybe these just aren't for you in which case my condolences.

Mar 20, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #4,248 of 12,035
Anyone else 5'8? These things are awful ergonomically. I've tried most of the e-type tip sizes and the sound is quite off. Lean, thin, and very ordinary. Using the default thick tip makes more sense but my ears quickly heat up. The wire doesn't sit right and the way they stick out I see no rhyme or reason to whether they are in correctly.

Bass sucks. I'm assuming that's fit, and in the package I seem to have no options, lol.

I am also 5'8 and I habe smaller than average ears....My favorite tips for the Solaris are JVC spiral dots....The best bass response is with deep insertion and a good seal.....I Eq these ever so slightly with a little bass boost....since ive done that my vegas havent seen the light of day.... I think with Eq these have the ability to be a bass canon or pretty close if you want them to be..... I use a size small for the Solaris even though usually I use a medium or large size tip depending on the iem....After a few months listening to music with these they still are a major highlight of my day

Mar 20, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #4,250 of 12,035
Weird, I get much better bass listening through my itunes library. The Solaris does sound crisper than the HD650, and female vocals may be better, don't know yet. The highs are getting a little too hot though.

Mar 20, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #4,251 of 12,035
Weird, I get much better bass listening through my itunes library. The Solaris does sound crisper than the HD650, and female vocals may be better, don't know yet. The highs are getting a little too hot though.

Don’t think the highs are too hot. The HD650 is just a very veiled headphone with rolled off highs, so when comparing the two the Solaris is going to sound hot.

Mar 20, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #4,252 of 12,035
they...are a major highlight of my day

Same. I actually find myself getting up earlier so I can stretch out my morning coffee and extend my time with them.

Mar 20, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #4,253 of 12,035
No one else finds these hot? The thing is I don't recall anyone complaining about this. I have one of the narrow bore tips on and Sandstorm by Darude sounds like grilling on a 95-degree day.

Mar 20, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #4,254 of 12,035
Solaris don't have hot treble. Reason why you never see any of the reviews mentioning this. I would experiment with some more tips and make sure your getting a good seal in the ear. I have seen guys use sizes too small for their ears and resulting sound can be hot treble and not so good bass.

Try this try that. Key is getting a good tight seal in the ear.

Mar 20, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #4,255 of 12,035
No one else finds these hot? The thing is I don't recall anyone complaining about this. I have one of the narrow bore tips on and Sandstorm by Darude sounds like grilling on a 95-degree day.

Maybe you have a faulty set? Worth getting in touch with CA to see if they have anything to say about it? Stupid question perhaps but you have got the cables the right polarity haven't you?

Mar 20, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #4,256 of 12,035
Beauty, elegance and radiant power.
Screenshot_20190320-191730_Instagram.jpg

Mar 20, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #4,257 of 12,035
I'm convinced you've yet to hear your Solaris with a proper seal. I don't have a Solaris but I do have an IER-M9 and it is very dependent on your seal and insertion depth/technique. It took me well over a month to figure how to insert them in a way which provided a consistent seal and sound. Go too deep and the sound suffers, go too shallow and the sound suffers.

Get the earbud positioned in your ear, then pull your upper ear cartlidge up and towards the back of your head, while you're doing this use your free hand to push the earbud in your ear. Maybe try using a smaller tip as well so that you can achieve a deeper insertion.

Mar 20, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #4,258 of 12,035
I'm convinced you've yet to hear your Solaris with a proper seal. I don't have a Solaris but I do have an IER-M9 and it is very dependent on your seal and insertion depth/technique. It took me well over a month to figure how to insert them in a way which provided a consistent seal and sound. Go too deep and the sound suffers, go too shallow and the sound suffers.

Get the earbud positioned in your ear, then pull your upper ear cartlidge up and towards the back of your head, while you're doing this use your free hand to push the earbud in your ear. Maybe try using a smaller tip as well so that you can achieve a deeper insertion.

+1

When the tips are in your ears you should sense that your ears are plugged in an almost airtight way-- like that feeling when you have water in your ears only minus the discomfort.

Mar 20, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #4,259 of 12,035
TBH, I think that the Solaris is bright. A lot of the most popular iems right now are also bright. Everything is right v-shaped or u-shaped. I think it's because every company seems to be competing for technicalities since.. well to get a technically proficient IEM, it seems that you need to sacrifice the mids and boost the high frequencies.

Nobody is making or even talking about high end IEMs with a focus on solid mids. Some of the gear from JH Audio is great, and there's the Unique Melody Maestro v2, but there's not much talk or impressions/reviews on that pair.

Mar 20, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #4,260 of 12,035
+1

When the tips are in your ears you should sense that your ears are plugged in an almost airtight way-- like that feeling when you have water in your ears only minus the discomfort.
Yep. Except with the M9, if you insert them in a way which causes a suction effect, the sound will suffer. They're really picky in how you insert them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back