Campfire - Solaris
Mar 13, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #4,021 of 12,035
Solaris is a smoother ride.
IMG_20190307_091615647.jpg

Mar 13, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #4,022 of 12,035
...Jesus Christ.

Here's some background. I've had an Audeze LCD-X ($1200) grouped with a Schiit Gungnir Multibit DAC ($1250) and an Auralic Taurus MKII amplifier ($1500), with a balanced cable to boot. That **** sounded way too close to the LCD-X with an iFi Nano Black Label portable DAC/amp ($200) so I sold the dac and amp. Then it turned out that an unexceptional laptop sounded better with the HD650 than the Nano BL with the HD650 so I sold that charity purchase (Nano BL) too although not before I compared the HD650 to the LCD-X and thought there was excessively little difference (and this was with Sonarworks EQ making the LCD-X not sound like crap), so I sold the LCD-X too.

I swear I'm not deaf. The next step for me is to spend $5k just on a DAC and amp, which I'm not going to in the foreseeable future. I'm thinking that going with a higher end iem and a dap might get me some hi-fi sound but if $2000 won't be beating the HD650 with a Magni amplifier then what the hell? Like come on, are things really this nonsensical that I'm desperate to give people money and they can't earn it? Is the HD650 really that good? (by the way, the HD650 is as efficient as anything as far as full-size headphones go, it's right there with the LCD-X and Hifiman Edition X despite the impedance in how easy it is to drive, if not easier) I might as well move onto ecstasy pills.

PS

I've heard a bunch of full-size headphones at >$1000. Decidedly disappointed. I liked the "sound signature" of the LCD-X best but ultimately there's some lack of general quality, and with the HD650 it's awful to have even the LCD-X whose sound I'm fine with. Soundstage, separation, imagining are certainly qualities I'm looking for, as well as let's call it the balanced sound of the LCD-X with a good low end but better defined (higher quality).

If I was to compare to my current cans. I would say Solaris is somewhere between the LCD x and focal clear. It has a very true to life tonality where instruments sound as they would live. The soundstage is good I would say that it is a bit better than my jh roxannes.

I drive them with my sp1000cu around 10 -20 out of 150 on the volume control. They are easy to drive but highly sensitive so proper matching with a dap or amp is important. You need a low output impedance I do use the alo cv5 with am iematch from time to time and it also gets the job done.

If you were comparing the hd650 to the lcdx with sonarworks. It would be expected to minimize the sound difference as the plugin is designed to make everything sound "flat".

I do think that there is a difference with amps and dacs. The hd650 scales well with better gear and needs some power to sound it's best. Yes they can get loud but it is also about how power is delivered. A more powerful amp will give better bass control and dynamics. I recently listened to them out of a hugo tt2 at a store while auditioning it and I was amazed at how much better the 650 sounded. I am interested to get my tt2 and see how the rest of my cans scale with it.

If you have a chance I would recommend auditioning the Solaris and seeing if you like it. That way you are not wasting you money. I really love mine and would not part with it.

P.S. If you get a chance I recommend you try the LCD 4z if you liked the X. I think they are a remarkable headphone and I might finally be at my end game setup for the foreseeable future with them and the tt2 when it gets here. Well maybe I will add the mscaler too.

Mar 13, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #4,023 of 12,035
Elaborate. What are all the differences? How far did you have to go to drive the Solaris properly? I'm thinking a $500 dap has to suffice.

Solaris are ez to drive and you'll want to look for something that has minimal hiss. Personally, the hd650 sound good but the signature is different than solaris. As someone pointed out solaris is closer to focal clear than 650. I own both clear and 650 and 100% agree. 650 is darker, warm in the bass and mids and the clear is pretty dang neutral. Never heard the hd800 but people on focal forum saying the clear is equivalent. If they're a different sound signature then it's hard to compare because its personal preference where one performs in areas vs the other. Plus it's an open back vs iem...

I like iem in general cause I dont like wearing headphones very long. Also, I'd rather listen to darude sandstorm with solaris then a bass heavy iem but that's because I much prefer a neutral signature, I want to be in the studio with my music. Many people want that bass for edm tracks which is fine so if you need that bass then get the atlas. I used to own the atlas and it reminded me of being in a live venue while the dj was spinning.

Mar 13, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #4,024 of 12,035
Curious to hear from people (who've heard/had both) as to whether (or not) the Solaris is an upgrade to the Andro/S. What might might cause one to prefer one over the other? Thanks!

I upgraded from the Andromeda OG, and was fortunate to have them both for comparison before selling the Andro.

What sold me on Solaris:

- slightly elevated mids. Andro sounded a touch distant in direct comparison
- transients of string instruments sounded sharper
- airy treble remained.
- low end sounds fuller and involving
- works with AC plugged equipment without jolting me randomly. The finish on Solaris seem more insulated.

A small comparison between Litz, Super Litz and Reference 8, all single ended:

Super Litz is a slight aggressive sounding Litz. Reference 8 trades that for a wider soundstage. In the end it boils down to your preference.

I’ve done my listening using Hugo 2 and M scaler.

Hope this helps!

Mar 13, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #4,025 of 12,035
I upgraded from the Andromeda OG, and was fortunate to have them both for comparison before selling the Andro.

What sold me on Solaris:

- slightly elevated mids. Andro sounded a touch distant in direct comparison
- transients of string instruments sounded sharper
- airy treble remained.
- low end sounds fuller and involving
- works with AC plugged equipment without jolting me randomly. The finish on Solaris seem more insulated.

A small comparison between Litz, Super Litz and Reference 8, all single ended:

Super Litz is a slight aggressive sounding Litz. Reference 8 trades that for a wider soundstage. In the end it boils down to your preference.

I’ve done my listening using Hugo 2 and M scaler.

Hope this helps!
How do you like the hugo 2 with the mscaler. I have tt2 on order but am interested in the mscaler hugo2 combo. From what I have heard you only get access to 1/2 of the taps in the mscaler unless you use dual bnc connections.

Mar 14, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #4,026 of 12,035
How do you like the hugo 2 with the mscaler. I have tt2 on order but am interested in the mscaler hugo2 combo. From what I have heard you only get access to 1/2 of the taps in the mscaler unless you use dual bnc connections.

The Mscaler greatly improved Hugo 2's sound characteristics, a more engaging sound if you will. For example, the bass lines were much easier to follow, and percussion instruments sound snappier when the music demands it.

The 1M taps is accessible to Hugo 2 via its Dual Coax 3.5mm connection. I just used a BNC to RCA + 3.5mm Audioquest Adapter. It was difficult for me to notice the improvements/difference between TT2 and Hugo2 sound quality-wise, when paired with the Mscaler so I didn't bother upgrading. If you have power-hungry headphones then that's a different matter altogether.

To add another tidbit, Solaris has an unnoticeable amount of hiss with TT2 (Low Gain) vs Hugo2, though once music is playing it becomes moot.

Mar 14, 2019 at 1:04 AM Post #4,027 of 12,035
The Mscaler greatly improved Hugo 2's sound characteristics, a more engaging sound if you will. For example, the bass lines were much easier to follow, and percussion instruments sound snappier when the music demands it.

The 1M taps is accessible to Hugo 2 via its Dual Coax 3.5mm connection. I just used a BNC to RCA + 3.5mm Audioquest Adapter. It was difficult for me to notice the improvements/difference between TT2 and Hugo2 sound quality-wise, when paired with the Mscaler so I didn't bother upgrading. If you have power-hungry headphones then that's a different matter altogether.

To add another tidbit, Solaris has an unnoticeable amount of hiss with TT2 (Low Gain) vs Hugo2, though once music is playing it becomes moot.

I will use my Solaris with my sp1000cu almost all of the time. I will use the tt2 with my LCD 4z, x, and clears. I really don't need a ton of power for any of them but am going to use the tt2 with my two channel setup too. On their own I found that I preferred the tt2 over the hugo 2. Wish I had compared the two with the mscaler. I just really didn't even think about the hugo 2 with the mscaler I am glad to hear it sounds good. An mscaler is definitely in my future too. Damn this hobby my wallet is has taken a beating as of late.:o2smile::o2smile:

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 6:46 AM Post #4,029 of 12,035
Hello, i just got my Solaris today but i found a blemish on the right gold part of the iem. Has any owners of the Solaris encounter this? what should i do? thanks in advance

My left IEM had a slight line/scratch but hard to make out. I tried not to get upset about it as I didn't want to send them back!

IMG_3625.jpg

Mar 14, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #4,030 of 12,035
Hello, i just got my Solaris today but i found a blemish on the right gold part of the iem. Has any owners of the Solaris encounter this? what should i do? thanks in advance
You should post a picture here and contact CA support.

Mar 14, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #4,031 of 12,035
My left IEM had a slight line/scratch but hard to make out. I tried not to get upset about it as I didn't want to send them back!

Maybe you should have contacted CA. From what I hear they are very picky and move any units they detect cosmetic issues with to B-stock sales. Perhaps you could've gotten at least some store credit for this.

Mar 14, 2019 at 6:54 AM Post #4,032 of 12,035
Maybe you should have contacted CA. From what I hear they are very picky and move any units they detect cosmetic issues with to B-stock sales. Perhaps you could've gotten at least some store credit for this.

Trouble is I'm in the UK so I don't think it would be as simples that - I'd have to go through the retailer who are very unlikely to be as picky :p

Mar 14, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #4,033 of 12,035
Trouble is I'm in the UK so I don't think it would be as simples that - I'd have to go through the retailer who are very unlikely to be as picky :p
CA is a small operation so there's not as much red tape when dealing with them. I would still shoot them an email directly

Mar 14, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #4,035 of 12,035
Mine come in perfect shape... no defect or anything on my Solaris nor Polaris...

just post here or send email, CA support usually will comeback to you....

Even in Polaris Thread, they supported good there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back