Campfire - Solaris
Feb 5, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #3,436 of 12,035
this song has great layers of sub bass. The Solaris definitely edges out over my Andro S.

The intro is hypnotizing.. then the Sax melts you into the sub-bass @ 2:30 . oooooweeeeeee! LTJ Bukem is a classic "Jungle / DnB" Dj from the 90's.

<iframe width="100%" height="300" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" allow="autoplay" src=""></iframe>

Almost as good as this, your welcome.

Feb 5, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #3,439 of 12,035
I haven't used them on a plane, but I can say using them on a leisurely walk results in a strong loss of bass due to the average noise isolation of the solaris.

Feb 5, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #3,441 of 12,035
Since measurements are apparently useless/stupid/evil, a blind test is the best tool left available...

My current "DAP" is the Samsung Galaxy S8, a lowly smartphone. It just didn't feel right to not have a dedicated hi-fi music player so I tried different other DAPs/DACs with my Andromeda S to see if any of them could give me a significantly better sound. Output impedance is a thing with the Andros, so that eliminated a few sources almost from the get go. In the end I really wanted to get the iDSD Micro BL. I didn't really hear a big difference, but it was black and it felt cool to use an analog potentiometer again. After listening to it for about a week (brain burn in) I asked my wife to help me with a blind test between the Micro and the S8. The results didn't lie: I couldn't really tell one was better than the other and I often thought I was listening to one, when in fact it was the other.

It's very possible that my hearing is not that good and this explains my inability to notice differences in DAPs, even differences that are labeled "night-and-day", "completely different league", etc. At the same time, I can detect sound differences due to OI on my Andromeda quite easily, so I'm not completely deaf. I have to say, though, that when reading comments and reviews on HeadFi I sometimes feel like quoting the great Mugatu: :)

Actually, it does make perfect sense. (I have no experience with the things you are comparing, what I'm commenting on is the basic marketing principle)
You probably had a weak link in your chain bro! Of course you couldn't tell the difference!

Seriously though, that's really great and was probably liberating to eliminate the need for some gear. I'm curious to put my micro SD into my s9 and see how it compares. Since I've had a DAP, I don't really use my phone to listen to music at all.

I just plugged my Solaris into my s9 and it has very satisfying bass :) I think I will do this more often lol. Also, zero hiss!

My theory on DAPs is that the difference between most is a power difference, which is going to change the sound, however the OEM chooses to flavor the sound, and features (WiFi, streaming apps, etc.)

With the WM1A, you can change the sound by reverting to other firmware. Sounds weird but it's true. Through it's lifetime, they added features to it and also matured the sound through the firmware. Between 1.2 and 3.01, they seem to have lessened the bass a bit, but clarity and somehow the separation had increased nicely.

Anyway, I think that switching through daps from different companies is only changing the sound signature and power delivery. We're at a point in time when most dacs/DAPs have a similar clarity and sound quality.

Feb 5, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #3,442 of 12,035
I haven't used them on a plane, but I can say using them on a leisurely walk results in a strong loss of bass due to the average noise isolation of the solaris.

It could be that you need to find some eartips that are more secure. I'm having a bit of trouble with that, and have had the same issue with sound on the go, but when I position the IEMs correctly, the bass comes back.

With my current tips, theres a sweet spot where the Solaris needs to be inserted to. If i go too deep, bass disappears and isolation lessens. I think I need bigger tips.

Feb 5, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #3,443 of 12,035
Question for you guys that owned the Solaris, have any of you flew with this iem yet? how is the sound isolation? any input would be appreciated, Thank you
hmm. I often used it in Plane or Train. Prob more then 10 times.... IMO, its quite good isolation, I was often being warn because I was plug it and felt a sleep....

For me, to get the best isolation pluging Solaris is when u put it in ur ear, twist backward to get better fitting..... if you remember how the solaris supposed to fit in ur ear (Vertical position), twist backward to get better fitting.... this can make better isolation.
Again this is how I found out

example picture :
Twisting backward....
Screenshot_20190205-202406_Chrome.jpg

Ideal for sound isolatiom
[UNSET].jpg

all pictures above is courtesy of SoundstageSolo and also Headpie. .

to be fair, this is my plug setting...
20190205_203528.jpg

Not the best sound isolation, but get the bass done...

My ear tip is TFZ silicon, not the good choice for isolation, but its acceptable for me

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #3,444 of 12,035
Since measurements are apparently useless/stupid/evil, a blind test is the best tool left available...

My current "DAP" is the Samsung Galaxy S8, a lowly smartphone. It just didn't feel right to not have a dedicated hi-fi music player so I tried different other DAPs/DACs with my Andromeda S to see if any of them could give me a significantly better sound. Output impedance is a thing with the Andros, so that eliminated a few sources almost from the get go. In the end I really wanted to get the iDSD Micro BL. I didn't really hear a big difference, but it was black and it felt cool to use an analog potentiometer again. After listening to it for about a week (brain burn in) I asked my wife to help me with a blind test between the Micro and the S8. The results didn't lie: I couldn't really tell one was better than the other and I often thought I was listening to one, when in fact it was the other.

It's very possible that my hearing is not that good and this explains my inability to notice differences in DAPs, even differences that are labeled "night-and-day", "completely different league", etc. At the same time, I can detect sound differences due to OI on my Andromeda quite easily, so I'm not completely deaf. I have to say, though, that when reading comments and reviews on HeadFi I sometimes feel like quoting the great Mugatu: :)

Actually, it does make perfect sense. (I have no experience with the things you are comparing, what I'm commenting on is the basic marketing principle)

Doing a/b testing is very tough and you will probably always guess wrong lol. It's a 50/50 chance. For me, I listen to albums that I know very well all the way through then I swap equipment. Make sure your source is at minimum cd quality or better. I can tell a big difference using my shure 535 from mp3 to cd quality. After listening to an album I then think I've never heard it like this before.

I honestly think the s8 sounds like garbage and I don't use it. Even my ipod 6th gen sounded better than my s8. It's just my opinion. Never heard the micro but I assume with all the extra power the dynamics should be increased at least a little bit? Did the micro cause hiss with the andromeda?

Feb 5, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #3,445 of 12,035
You probably had a weak link in your chain bro! Of course you couldn't tell the difference!

Seriously though, that's really great and was probably liberating to eliminate the need for some gear. I'm curious to put my micro SD into my s9 and see how it compares. Since I've had a DAP, I don't really use my phone to listen to music at all.

I just plugged my Solaris into my s9 and it has very satisfying bass :) I think I will do this more often lol. Also, zero hiss!

My theory on DAPs is that the difference between most is a power difference, which is going to change the sound, however the OEM chooses to flavor the sound, and features (WiFi, streaming apps, etc.)

With the WM1A, you can change the sound by reverting to other firmware. Sounds weird but it's true. Through it's lifetime, they added features to it and also matured the sound through the firmware. Between 1.2 and 3.01, they seem to have lessened the bass a bit, but clarity and somehow the separation had increased nicely.

Anyway, I think that switching through daps from different companies is only changing the sound signature and power delivery. We're at a point in time when most dacs/DAPs have a similar clarity and sound quality.
I hope that S9 is Enyxos version, because the DAC is Cirrus.

digging my Note 8 Enyxos . based on forum, it used Cirrus CS47L90.. What get me grind is that the OI is 0.2 ohm... Not bad at all....
if you only compare the low freq (Bass), actually Note 8 Enyxos can deliverd good quality bass, the different is the subbass detail, it will be more if you use DAP.

Damn I almost forgot... the cable (Abnormal) I used help to reduce the noise when pair with Note 8, just realized it.

bear in mind, Soundstage, Spark are much better with DAP....

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #3,446 of 12,035
Greatly enjoying the Solaris with A&Futura SE100, very quiet background. Running with Han Sound Zen 8, a F 3.5mm trrs to M 2.5mm trrs converter (previously used 3.5mm balanced cable with xDSD), Symbio W Peel eartips.

I was previously using it with the xDSD which is fantastic, though with an audible hiss (mostly noticeable when doing low-volume listening).

Question: Any recommended cable for this pairing? I was also looking at PlusSound X-Series for day-to-day but worried it may be too thin.

XT2uPL5.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #3,447 of 12,035
Question for you guys that owned the Solaris, have any of you flew with this iem yet? how is the sound isolation? any input would be appreciated, Thank you
I used mine in the gym for the first time yesterday (weights, not cardio). My gym always plays loud top 40 and hip-hop, and I couldn't hear any of that - just my own music. Sometimes sat too long listening to the music and not lifting weights... It's all about the tips and getting the correct fit. Out of all the tips supplied by CA I could only find one pair of tips that felt secure/correct. The pics posted from above are great. The "retainer" on the cable at the top of the ear works well, and really helps to secure the IEMs in place better. I had to use a mirror the first few times when inserting the IEMs.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #3,448 of 12,035
Doing a/b testing is very tough and you will probably always guess wrong lol. [...]

I honestly think the s8 sounds like garbage and I don't use it. Even my ipod 6th gen sounded better than my s8. It's just my opinion. Never heard the micro but I assume with all the extra power the dynamics should be increased at least a little bit? Did the micro cause hiss with the andromeda?

I think A/B is still much more revealing than relying on your memory (or your focus/mood remaining exactly the same).

If you listened to the S8 and didn't like it, more power to you (no pun intended :) ). I couldn't hear any noise/hiss from the Micro when the IEMatch was set to High (my preferred setting for best sound). But it's quite difficult to get the volume low enough on High. You probably need to use Ultra, but then the noise should be really gone.

Feb 5, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #3,449 of 12,035
hmm. I often used it in Plane or Train. Prob more then 10 times.... IMO, its quite good isolation, I was often being warn because I was plug it and felt a sleep....

For me, to get the best isolation pluging Solaris is when u put it in ur ear, twist backward to get better fitting..... if you remember how the solaris supposed to fit in ur ear (Vertical position), twist backward to get better fitting.... this can make better isolation.
Again this is how I found out

example picture :
Twisting backward....

Ideal for sound isolatiom

all pictures above is courtesy of SoundstageSolo and also Headpie. .

to be fair, this is my plug setting...

Not the best sound isolation, but get the bass done...

My ear tip is TFZ silicon, not the good choice for isolation, but its acceptable for me

Amen, its all about the fit and all about finding the right tips. The best sounding IEM in the world is going to sound like garbage if the seal is not good. Like all IEMs you have to tweak/find the position and angle that works for you. The Solaris requires a little more moving around to find the sweet spot but once you find it its like opening the flood gates to sawesume music. Anyhow nice post and photos! Yours is rotated back, mine is rotated forward.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Feb 5, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #3,450 of 12,035
I hope that S9 is Enyxos version, because the DAC is Cirrus.

digging my Note 8 Enyxos . based on forum, it used Cirrus CS47L90.. What get me grind is that the OI is 0.2 ohm... Not bad at all....
if you only compare the low freq (Bass), actually Note 8 Enyxos can deliverd good quality bass, the different is the subbass detail, it will be more if you use DAP.

Damn I almost forgot... the cable (Abnormal) I used help to reduce the noise when pair with Note 8, just realized it.

bear in mind, Soundstage, Spark are much better with DAP....
It's actually the SD version. I was just listening to Spotify for a little while and it wasn't too bad. I'll have to try it with some local files. I'll look out got the sub-bass, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back