Campfire - Solaris
Dec 13, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #2,296 of 12,035
Dec 13, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #2,297 of 12,035
After all this time... I finally had an audition of the Andromeda!
First the fit is much better (andro v2) thanks to smaller shells and isolation is better.

There are clearly similarities with the Solaris, especially in the treble although I'll be in the minority saying I prefer the Solaris treble (I actually find them more lively and tonally more pleasing, with a touch of warmth). I found the bass was pretty good, tighter than the Solaris but less textured and with less sub. There is a tad more mid bass IMHO, but lower mids are leaner on the Andro which has more upper mids focus and I can see why some will prefer Andromeda which is more "serious" overall where the Solaris is clearly "fun" and exhuberant.

Also, Solaris is significantly warmer thanks to lower mids. Ah and soundstage, well to me Solaris is just bigger and more holographic where the Andro appears wider as the soundstage appeared more elliptical to me (very wide, not very deep and moderatly tall vs similarly wide, much deeper and significantly taller for the Solaris).

Yes, the Andro is more "accurate" in a closer to reference way but to me the Solaris is so much more fun :D
I am pretty curious to audition the Andro S now :p
Nice impression... quite interesing where you use Solaris and backward audition andro...

V2 is OG right??

I believe u guys have good source....
For me, Andro SS is more source sensitive than Andro OG (my source is Note 8 during audition)
edit : SS was having a lot of Hiss, so I cant compare the SQ to OG, this is because of my source
Overall, both of them is a great upgrade from my Polaris... although the bass is different...

Local dealer update that the SOLARIS Demo postpone to Jan 2019... due the item will be ship this week from Campfire.... Anxious

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #2,298 of 12,035
I brought the solaris with me to a meet last Sunday. Everyone that listened left with a smile on their face. A lot of them actually owned the andromeda and were very impressed with solaris. The big takeaway was the more natural totality which was more life like and "flatter". I think that they are somewhat similar to the Focal clear in this respect. I listen to a wide range of genres and find solaris to do well with rock and metal (dream theater sounds incredible), jazz sax sound very life like I used to play tenor and baritone, and classic is really good the dynamics are incredible Mahler's 5th is a great example of this. I am very please with them so far.

I do prefer them out of the SP1000 over the idsd bl. The ALO CV5 just brings it to another level in my opinion. My mobile setup is done for now....... Looking to head towards endgame with a desktop setup now. Maybe a Yiggy and Mjolnir. but the Pro iCan and headlamp Gs-x sound so good. Massdrop has the SMSL VMV D1 up now too. The empyeran sounded so good too. I can't my wallet is hurting so badly already. I digress back to the Solaris.

Jude was there too. I wish I had asked him to give this combo a listen to get his impressions.

Dec 14, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #2,299 of 12,035
20181214_151636.jpg
Couldn't resist so I just got one myself :)

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 4:30 AM Post #2,300 of 12,035
I'm going to have a listen to the Solaris tomorrow. I think they my dealer's demo should be burned in by now.

I asked a question some pages back that went unanswered, about which source I should try them with. In recent pages I see people mentioning the SP1000 a lot. So is that what I should go for? I'll be mainly comparing them with my AndroS.

Dec 14, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #2,301 of 12,035
I'm going to have a listen to the Solaris tomorrow. I think they my dealer's demo should be burned in by now.

I asked a question some pages back that went unanswered, about which source I should try them with. In recent pages I see people mentioning the SP1000 a lot. So is that what I should go for? I'll be mainly comparing them with my AndroS.
Solaris and SP1000CU is a great pairing if you like good vocal but tbh I think it pair well with almost anything.

Dec 14, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #2,302 of 12,035
I spent approx 1.5 hours today with a burnt in demo pair of Solaris IEM's and I really don't know what all the fuss is about? Apart from the stupid shape and unusual fit, they didn't sound all that special at all. I tried various tips but both myself ( and 2 other customers) agreed and we all purchased other IEM's.
The treble was nice and smooth, but the mids and bass ( particularly sub-bass) were below an IEM at this price point in my opinion. I was hoping for an andro sound ( but without it's silly shape as well) but with closer to Atlas bass, but no. Not even close. Another dissapointment to me.

Dec 14, 2018 at 6:02 AM Post #2,303 of 12,035
I spent approx 1.5 hours today with a burnt in demo pair of Solaris IEM's and I really don't know what all the fuss is about? Apart from the stupid shape and unusual fit, they didn't sound all that special at all. I tried various tips but both myself ( and 2 other customers) agreed and we all purchased other IEM's.
The treble was nice and smooth, but the mids and bass ( particularly sub-bass) were below an IEM at this price point in my opinion. I was hoping for an andro sound ( but without it's silly shape as well) but with closer to Atlas bass, but no. Not even close. Another dissapointment to me.
Well if you like robust sound with big bass then I can see why you would be disappointed with the Solaris. The rather small amout of bass put me off guard too considering it use of dynamic driver (I still really like it though), especially after the Equinox which for me has almost obnoxious amout of bass.

For an IEM with similar sound profile to Andromeda but with good dynamic bass I recommend you to try out the Acoustune 1670SS.

Dec 14, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #2,304 of 12,035
Well if you like robust sound with big bass then I can see why you would be disappointed with the Solaris. The rather small amout of bass put me off guard too considering it use of dynamic driver (I still really like it though), especially after the Equinox which for me has almost obnoxious amout of bass.

For an IEM with similar sound profile to Andromeda but with good dynamic bass I recommend you to try out the Acoustune 1670SS.
Ive been demoing various CF iems and only the Equinox impressed me.

Dec 14, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #2,306 of 12,035
Ive been demoing various CF iems and only the Equinox impressed me.

I know this is a Solaris thread, but how does Equinox differ in sound vs. Atlas? (I'm guessing there's a universal demo version then?)

Dec 14, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #2,307 of 12,035

1670SS is a good IEM, worthy to own; but i feel that its fair value is abt 10-15% lower than RTP

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #2,308 of 12,035
People have different opinions. No big deal. I don't intend to buy the Solaris, but I'm looking to have an interesting experience auditioning it. Whether I like it or not, I hope to at least see what all the fuss is about.

If someone says that he likes a different genre of music nobody panics, but if he says that he doesn't like the Solaris then everyone loses their minds.

Dec 14, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #2,309 of 12,035
1670SS good IEM, worthy to own; but i feel that its fair value is abt 10-15% lower than RTP

IMO the 1650cu is much better than 1670ss. Don't remember how I felt about the 1690ti though.

People have different opinions. No big deal. I don't intend to buy the Solaris, but I'm looking to have an interesting experience auditioning it. Whether I like it or not, I hope to at least see what all the fuss is about.

If someone says that he likes a different genre of music nobody panics, but if he says that he doesn't like the Solaris then everyone loses their minds.

Yeah, I'm also really interested in trying it out, and if possible, comparing it side by side with Z1R, Khan, and Trinity.

Dec 14, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #2,310 of 12,035
I tried them, and I still prefer my Andromedas. The solaris have better bass extension, rumble and impact which really makes the music engaging. It has a wider soundstage too and guitars sound sharper. However, the highs sound harsher and the female vocals sound hollow at times and not as sweet as the Andros. From the mids onwards, the Andros are better in tonality. I think if they can keep the andros mids and highs, and only change the bass, then it would have been a step up from the andros. But this is more of a sidegrade. I'd say get this over the andros if you are willing to sacrifice tonality for bass.The sony Z1r looks to be better, from reading impressions of people who have tried both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back